Sams Club candy

I noticed something concerning at my local sams club and wanted to see if anyone else has insight.... on vending size (single serving) candy, my club has let inventory go and is posting "clearance" prices on many of the items.  By clearance, I mean the price has changed and ends in 2, which usually indicates they are reducing price to clear out an item they will no longer stock.   Is this a local manager move or a larger shift?  I am presuming that a lot of these items will still be available via online and delivery, but I am worried about the condition the product would arrive in, especially during summer....

I've talked to our Sam's store manager before about this when I see certain candy/snacks disappear.  Each store is only allowed a certain number of SKU's.  When they get inundated with a bunch of new items, they have to eliminate somewhere.  Generally they try to swap SKU's within the same department, but certain areas (like the candy aisle) have many of SKU's of the same item, just different pack size.  Ex.: M&M Peanut.  They may have Vend size, King size, bulk bags, fund-raising packs, variety packs, and so one.  When they need to eliminate, they tend to look at some of the more obscure items (Mounds, Chuckles, new flavored candy ie: Mint Kit Kat, etc).  Talk to your store manager about items that you want.  If you have a good relationship with them, they may make adjustments elsewhere to keep an item you might purchase regularly.  Most times, it's just a guessing game for them, OR corporate makes suggestions.  We sell A LOT of Chuckles (particularly in the summer months).  When our store eliminated them for some new candy items, I talked to them about bringing them back and suggested to them  some of the duplicate items they may want to consider.  They were very appreciative and receptive to the feedback.  Needless to say, I can purchase Chuckles all year round now.  :)

• Thanks 1

I buy in the club and order online.  The candy usually comes in a nice reusable cooler with reusable ice packs (although usually almost melted), but the candy is just fine.  I can use the coolers and the ice packs for my deliveries.

• Like 1