Replacement for 738 (Blazing Quarters) coin mech?

ToddWebb

I have 4 pushers from Blazing Quarters.  All units have operated only about 500 hours (they're used in traveling shows a few weekends per year).  All the coin mechs are rejecting every quarter.  Last show I had to pull all my pushers.

Is this just normal wear from use?

Any recommendations for replacements/upgrades?

Thanks

Those are crappy chinese mechs. Get Imonex R9 roll down mechs in there and you will never have any issues. Wiring is easy as only 2 wires are needed from the harness that plugs into the mech you have. I change all my mechs to Imonex R9's and have very few if not any coin jams, etc..

23 hours ago, ToddWebb said:

Thank you brmorr.  Recommend a vendor?

When you say "two wires" is there some standard adaptor wires I should be shopping for?  Or must I get MacGyver on these?

The two wires you will need are the black(ground) and white(coin signal). You can cut those wires from the harness plugging into the electronic mech and put connectors on them for the new coin switch. You can get the new Imonex R9 mechs from a bunch of places. They are usually $40-50. Also check Ebay for the quarter ones since they are usually cheaper on there for the quarter sized ones.

13 minutes ago, ToddWebb said:

I've ordered R9 mechs from amusementsplus.  Thank you brmorr for the info.  I appreciate it.

If you need any help getting those wired, let me know. Black and white wire from the crappy electronic mech is all you need for the rolldown. 1 is ground and 1 is coin signal. Look on the side of the electronic mech and it lists it there as well where the connector plugs in to the mech.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you brmorr.  Pictured is my new Imonex.  The connectors are marked "C", "NO." and "NC."  Can you clue me in to their meanings?  Also, is it just as good for me to carve up the existing wire in my units?  Or should I be shopping for some small adapter in order to keep my in-unit wires intact?

Imonex.jpg

Here is the meaning of those three.

C= common or ground(black wire goes here

NO- normally open(your white wire goes here)

NC- normally closed(not used for what you are doing).

I wouldn’t worry about getting a harness, cut the white(coin signal) and black(ground) a little back from the connector in case you need to go back to the cheap Chinese mechs before you sell it. This way it will give you some wire to splice it back in. The other wires from that connector can stay in the connector. Just tape it up or something in the harness.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

brmorr thank you so much.  I now have working pushers again.  I wish I'd made this upgrade sooner.

Now, if this board can tolerate yet another dumb question... what exactly are these wires doing at all?  After fixing my units, I tested, then turned off and unplugged the units, then tested again.  Works fine without power.  What am I missing?

9 minutes ago, ToddWebb said:

brmorr thank you so much.  I now have working pushers again.  I wish I'd made this upgrade sooner.

Now, if this board can tolerate yet another dumb question... what exactly are these wires doing at all?  After fixing my units, I tested, then turned off and unplugged the units, then tested again.  Works fine without power.  What am I missing?

The cheap Chinese mechs are comparators. They use electronics to compare the reference quarter to an inserted quarter, and determines if it’s valid or not. If it is it sends a credit. The advantages of this style is that you can set it to whatever currency is local to you and it is harder to cheat.

However it needs power to work and the cheap golpher Chinese electronics suck golpher and are unreliable.

The Inmonex roll downs are purely mechanical and rely only on size which is why it still works powered down. You could theoretically cheat it with a good fake but unless you get a bunch the superior reliability more than makes up for the slugs.

1 minute ago, ToddWebb said:

Ohhh.  So I don't need to be cutting into my wires at all?  Good to know.  Thanks!

I think you did all the cutting you needed to do when you wired up the black and white to the new Imonex mech. Basically when a coin passes through it grounds the coin signal sensing a coin has passed. It will take the right sized token or coin which is set depending on the mech you got regardless if its off or on. 

16 minutes ago, ToddWebb said:

Ohhh.  So I don't need to be cutting into my wires at all?  Good to know.  Thanks!

No, you need wires.

If I remember right ronsidey posted that be designed these to have the coin exit flap open only when a coin is inserted.

If it isn’t connected then the coins that are pushed off will go to the cash box not the player.

Edited by orsd