Just bought this Pearson's mint patties candy machine - need advice

DanDaMan

Just bought this candy machine from local classifieds for $20 cdn (even came full with 240 Pearson's mint patties.  It was in someone's mancave and he is moving.  I have no plans to vend with it, just want it for my theatre room at home.

My questions:

1) I looked on google for this unit, but can't find another one.  Anyone know anything about the machine - roughly how old it is?  Anyone know what the value of this would be?

2) the sticker on from says 'enjoy chocolate mint patties' - it doesn't actually say Pearson's on it.  Anyone know if this machine was made specific for Pearson's or is it generic.  

3) The coin mech works and takes quarters.  But the arm on the turning mech is broken and thus does not turn the wheel to dispense a candy - anyone have a pic of the mech that I can use to fix it and get it working.

ThanksxHnJ3gq.jpg

Edited by DanDaMan

Update.

So I figured out the issue with the coin mech.  Inside is a wheel with 8 arms - one of the arms was broken off so once the coin mech arm got to that arm it had nothing to spin and hence no candy coming out.  Luckily inside the coin box was the broken arm - I epoxy it and it now works.

I do though have 2 additional questions:

1) how do you refill this thing?  I removed the top chrome cover off with the key but that exposed another metal lid with a wire that runs down to the bottom - the wire is held with a screw.  Do I simply unscrew the screw on each one and pull up the lid?   Would I need to wait until the unit is empty?   It looks like the wire holds up a flat holder for the candy and once a candy is dispensed it swings down.  I'm concerned if I remove the screw and pull up the lid that the candy still on the flat portion will all fall down?

2) any easy way to make it 'free-play'.  Being it is in my rec room I don't want to have to feed it quarters - I'd rather make it so it is free turning.   

Thanks

More updates

So I figured out how to fill it with new candies - simply had to slide the circular glass tube up.

I also youtubed how to make a coin mech free, but to do it I have to remove the coin mech.  I have been fighting with it for an hour and just can't get it out.  I removed the two side plates (which I thought held it in) but it has the 3 screw face plate that still is wider than the opening so it still stuck - I was able to get 2 of the 3 screws out for the plate but the top left one is not accessible (behind the housing of the machine).   I alsoi removed the center screw and pulled out the turn handle but made no difference.  Any suggestions?

more updates - so I finally got the last screw out and the coin mech (needed a flexible driver shaft).  I now converted the coin mech to free and reinstalled.

So now just wanting some knowledge about the machine itself.  how old are these?  were they built by Pearsons or are they universal.  what would you suggest the market price is for one?  thx

1 hour ago, DanDaMan said:

more updates - so I finally got the last screw out and the coin mech (needed a flexible driver shaft).  I now converted the coin mech to free and reinstalled.

So now just wanting some knowledge about the machine itself.  how old are these?  were they built by Pearsons or are they universal.  what would you suggest the market price is for one?  thx

I believe it is called a Vendesign Snack Tower. Never had one and have rarely seen them out on the streets. Google it and you'll see several. I found one on Usedvending.com for $190.00

https://www.usedvending.com/i/NEW-Vendesign-Snack-Towers-for-Sale-in-Washington-/WA-A-821S