DN 501E struggling to stay cool

I just bought a couples of used Dixie narco 501E live front machines. One of them only gets to 38 degrees with the thermostat turned 3/4 up. If i turn the thermostat up more it runs without stopping and only gets to 37. I believe the door is making a good seal because the dip pan is staying dry.

I usually run my Royals at around 34 to 36 with no problem. 

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. 

The thermostat should be set no higher than 3 1/2 on it's dial determined by where the zero (off) position is.  Don't go higher than that or you will freeze products.  Put a thermometer on your motor cover and let the machine run for a few hours.  It should cycle on and off periodically and then the temperature should be about what you stated.  The Royal temps are measured by a temp sensor at the evaporator so they will be lower.  

I did what you suggested AZ. put the thermostat to halfway, and put a thermometer sitting on the motor covers and let it run half the day. The thermometer is reading 50 degrees. Do you think it needs to be charged? Is there a way to tell?

thanks again!

There really isn’t a recharge as these are sealed systems. Are the coils clean on evap/condenser? Ice building up at evaporator?

Are you positive thermostat is working? Is the door at delivery port closing properly?

Edited by dwc31015

If you are building up ice on the evaporator starting from the top right corner and spreading to the left then it is low freon.  If you are getting ice on the accumulator (copper bulb in front of the right side of evaporator) then you have bad valves in the compressor.  I did not say to set the thermostat halfway.  I said to set it to 3 1/2.  Have you even tested a drink yet to see if its as cold as it should be?  You might have a bad thermometer.  If its truly not cold enough then the compressor should be running non-stop.  If the compressor AND fan motor turn off before its cold then it could be a bad thermostat or the capillary tube isn't installed properly.  If the compressor turns off and the fan keeps running then its a bad compressor or the overload is bad.