MDB to RS232 serial

tblake05

Have you guys seen this?  I was thinking about building some sort of interface to connect MDB to PC, but it looks like someone beat me to it.  Wonder if this could test coin mech's and bill validators.  Because if not, what would be its purpose?  Just curious.  It may be a neat little project to design next to an Arduino to add MDB capability to a micromech or a single price machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MDB-RS232-MDB-to-PC-converter-MDB-payment-device-data-to-PC-RS232-Coin-collector/263893055397?hash=item3d714077a5:g:UBcAAOSwgd1bfQ~s

I have a Coinco USB to MDB converter. Picked it up on eBay used for a few bucks. Came with some software so it's my mech and val tester now. I literally do not know where or when it was sold new. I called Coinco, even they had trouble.

In any case my issue with the one you posted is that they are RS 232 serial, not USB. Very few, if any computers come with those connectors nowadays, and certainly not Arduinos or Raspberry Pis.

Converters do exist, but make sure you do not get one with a "Prolific" chipset. The drivers for those are Windows only and giant flaming piles of trash. Literally more of a pain to use than if someone mashed a Flexpak, P series, and Vendo Vue together. Oh, and you better read Chinese, or horribly broken Chinglish, cause that's what the install software is written in.

I think someone in Portugal or Spain or some golpher makes a Raspberry Pi specific MDB adaptor. Never tried but looks intriguing.

Options Options.....  I like raspberry pi's due to their felxability.  rs232 serial is no problem for my as I use older stuff that still has the port.  Plus I believe there is a way to connect it to Arduino and raspberry pi's, but don't quote me on that.

I'll have to look into the raspberry pi MDB.  Would be neat to use it as a val and mech tester if anything.