CT-48 Retrofitting

Hi, I am doing an experiment with some 40-year-old CoinCo vending machines that are designed to take only coins.

I have gotten this machine to accept coins from a newer single-price changer with three slots, but I was wondering if I could get a bill validator to work with it.

I have a BA30B plugged into the machine with an adapter cable used for larger single-price machines, and the bill validator is not working. My understanding is that the circuitry in this machine is all in the coin mech--if the coin mech says go, the machine unlocks the doors on the front to allow the customer to get one drink out. If the coin mech works with a validator, shouldn't the machine open?

Does anyone have the knowledge to tell me if this should work of if I'm just kidding myself, and if it won't work, why not?

Similarly, I wonder if a single price to MDB converter would enable me to use a credit card reader.

I know this would be a waste of money, but just as a thought experiment.

20200408_204602.jpg

Edited by AnytimeVendors

1 hour ago, SCOTT1963 said:

what do you have your dip switches set to on the Val?

it's either going to be switch 3 and 8 on or

switch 8 on only

Depends on how fast the coin mech reads the pulse

Aha! I think my mech switches were set for a price below $1, so the validator wasn't engaging or something. It could also just be I needed to re-seat the adaptor cable.

In any case, I got it working with the validator! I do want to try tjis out and see if it improves sales. I will not be trying credit card readers though! :)