Usi 3208

By “I have a plug with a surge protector” do you mean that you have a bulky thing built into the power cord, or do you have it plugged into a surge protector power strip?

If it’s built in it is likely a GFCI, not a surge protector. Does the wall outlet have a GFCI as well? If so, replace it with a regular cord. If not, replace it with another cord with an inline GFCI. While most times it’s the GFCI wearing out you must make sure that the tripping is not caused by an actual ground fault, which can be a fairly hazardous condition.

46 minutes ago, Bridget Wallace said:

I just replaced the gfci cord recently.  Could it be the outlet?  Every time I reset the Gfci it shuts off again.

If you have one on the cord and on the wall remove the one on the cord. Sometimes having 2 inline causes issues.

If it is a known good GFCI (if you cannot ensure it's not randomly tripping, just replace it again), recently replaced, and there is only one, then you have a ground fault in the machine, which means the machine is unsafe. Do not just remove the GFCI, as that only covers the issue up, much like taping over the airbag and check engine light in your car. Inspect all wires for cuts, breaks, and fraying.

A good way to troubleshoot is to unplug the machine, then unplug one harness from the board at a time. After each harness, plug the machine back in. Then work your way to the power supply. When your GFCI stops tripping you have found your problem harness. Closely inspect all wires in that harness.

Edited by orsd