new quarters trouble

vendbend

I have noticed that since the government printed and made all this "new" money the newest quarters are so light and thin they are constantly getting stuck in the arcade coin mechs now. I dont know what to do.  Before the virus I rarely had coin mech problems NOW the new quarters are getting stuck all the time. It is like they have no weight to drop thru the mech so they are piling up in there on top and beside each other. The government doesnt realize how much a pain it is for venders when they change bills and coins. 

I don’t think the composition of the coins has changed. If it is only happening after the virus then my best guess would be that locations are spraying disinfectant into the mechs and gumming them up.

Edited by orsd

Or if only new quarters jam then it's probably due to the sharp fluting on the edge of the coins getting caught in the mech which would mean the mech could be worn out?

• 6 months later...

I do find the new state patterns kind of annoying. I am visually scanning my quarters as I run them through my counter and I pick out any pennies, nickels, dimes, and foreign coins by hand. All of the different types of quarters makes that process slightly more difficult. Yes you can use a machine with an offsort capability (but they are more expensive, slower, and more prone to breaking).