Royal Refrigeration unit multiple issues

I pulled the deck out of a Royal 550 (or whatever is the 10-column 8-select equivalent of a 650) after a call about being noisy.  This thing has had problems before where the water wouldn't drain but I couldn't really get to it due to space issues stopping me from opening the door all the way.  Long story short, I pulled it out and noticed that the back of the deck was a lot dirtier than I thought it would be, the condenser fan spins but stops within seconds.  Also, the evaporator fan has not one but 2 broken blades.  So.. I haven't yet plugged it in to see if the deck itself is being noisy or if it's the evaporator fan (or both) but I can tell you that I don't know where to start with this.  I feel like I should just exchange it for a refurbished unit and just replace the evaporator fan.  

My two main questions are these...

I see a lot of GIII decks for sale but with different model numbers than what the manual says for the 650.  Aren't pretty much all Royal decks interchangeable except for maybe bending the lines a little?  Am I wrong about that?  

Also, how much play is too much play in either fan?  I was estimating between 1/8" and 1/4" of play (probably closer to 1/4").  I only pulled on them to see if that's where the noise was coming from but I'm sure a fan with 2 broken blades is going to create all kinds of noise.

Thanks.

I think the main difference between decks is the length of the copper tubing.  Why, I don't know.  The tech I use recently replaced a royal 650 for me and put the deck in sideways to make the tubing reach.  It works OK, so....

Are you sure the deck needs replaced or is all the noise coming from the fans?  I know if there is too much water on the deck the evap fans can hit it and sound like an old outboard motor...

31 minutes ago, Southeast Treats said:

I think the main difference between decks is the length of the copper tubing.  Why, I don't know.  The tech I use recently replaced a royal 650 for me and put the deck in sideways to make the tubing reach.  It works OK, so....

Are you sure the deck needs replaced or is all the noise coming from the fans?  I know if there is too much water on the deck the evap fans can hit it and sound like an old outboard motor...

I'm positive that the water was part of it.  I used to drain it by pulling the drain tube off and letting the water go into a bottle each time I went there, but the place has been shut down due to covid.  Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that the evap fan is missing 2 blades (although I only found 1 blade so I wonder if it had been missing 1 for a long time).  I think the issues are: 1 bad evaporator fan blade, 1 dirty condenser fan blade, dirty deck in general, possibly bad fan motors  with too much play, and I may need a new tube because the old one is kind of stuck in a pinched form.  I could also use some new sponges.  This machine REALLY needs to be picked up, cleaned up, and sent back out.  Everything else appears to be fine.  I am only looking for a replacement deck because I have already salvaged every good deck I had and I could use some more.

If a machine doesn't drain water then it will form into ice around the evaporator and if the evap fan blade hits the ice it can break the blades.  

Chris:  Why would you need to manually drain the cabinet on each visit?  Didn't you clean out the drain tube so it would drain as it's supposed to?  There is just a little bit of play in and out of a fan motor normally.  Over 1/8" is probably about the limit but then you would have other signs like a little "ting" noise as the fan starts or stops or a thrumming noise from the fan motor.  Any fan motor that stops a soon as power is removed is a bad motor that has to be replaced.  Just pull the deck and get it repaired.  The account must realize that sometimes an instant repair isn't possible.  A couple of days to fix it isn't a horrible thing, then you don't have to worry what deck will fit the machine.

Southeast:  I would change vending repair techs if he thinks that a sideways cooling unit is smart, efficient, safe, or all three.

6 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Chris:  Why would you need to manually drain the cabinet on each visit?  

The machines are recessed in a spot so tight for space that I couldn't open the door all the way without serious effort (which I did yesterday) so I couldn't pull the chute out.

• 2 weeks later...