Limit of 5 soda cases at Sam's Club?

Welcome to 1985 when there was no can shortage but everyone and his brother were getting into vending and all grocery stores put limits of 3 or 5 cases on single purchases so they wouldn't run out of sale merchandise.  This went on for years here in Arizona.  Vendors would pay anyone with a pickup to run around getting 3 cases at a time, or they would take every family member with them to get as many from one store as they could.  It was like a pandemic of new vendors.

6 hours ago, tblake05 said:

I can hardly wait.

Today Diet Coke 16.9oz bottles, checked 3 stores, all sold out.

Whats going on?

In the last 2 months or so, there had been a limit on poptarts for several weeks at Sam's.  The catch is that it didn't appear as though the poptarts were selling any faster than before and they were definitely not in short supply.  Rather, it just made it difficult for me to get enough poptarts in one transaction.  That's totally different to this because they DO run out of a lot of soda flavors.  The only thing I can think of is that people are buying more canned drinks because fountain drink demand is way down and cans are generally the cheapest single serve way to go.  And since cans are in such high demand and they are selling out so quickly, people are the bottled packs instead because it's the next best thing.  I'm still getting all of my 20 oz bottles from a distributor so I'm good there but this can thing is going to hurt. What a hassle.

They didn't enforce it at the register when I was there.  If they had said anything I would have said I thought business members were excluded.  (Maybe they are).  And if that hadn't worked I would have said I thought it was a limit on each flavor.  If worse comes to worst I guess I will have to make multiple trips into the store.  If they put a stop to that then I don't know.

There is a limit on the gross flavors they sell?  Absurd.  They constantly try to sell a horrible flavor with a good flavor so I don't understand that there is any run on them.

The clubs in my area don't have limits on their drinks (yet). They are just out of random things, always.  Today, no Dew or Diet Coke in cans.  Yesterday, Big Red and Pepsi.  Who knows what tomorrow holds?  Frozen food is a joke right now.  I actually found hot pockets today!  A bigger issue for me is not being able to place orders with Sam's Club.  There are zero time slots left to pick up an order.  I used to do weekly pick-ups of 2-4 pallets at a time.  I'm well into six figures a year with them, I'd like to think that would get me some special consideration...

Same signs at my Sams Club. Got my items (10+ cases) and went through the self checkout section. No issues here. I normally use the scan and go on the app when I’m in the store, can’t imagine you’d have an issue using that either.

2 hours ago, Golfdogs said:

I used to do weekly pick-ups of 2-4 pallets at a time.  I'm well into six figures a year with them, I'd like to think that would get me some special consideration...

With that kind of volume you should be on a first name basis with the store manager, or at least have a business rep you can go to... I get 99% of my drinks thru the bottlers, and even with them some lesser selling flavors are getting scarce.  7 Up has not had grape or pineapple 12 oz for a couple months; also having trouble getting cherry coke 12 oz from ccbf. 

3 hours ago, ReynoldsVending said:

Same signs at my Sams Club. Got my items (10+ cases) and went through the self checkout section. No issues here. I normally use the scan and go on the app when I’m in the store, can’t imagine you’d have an issue using that either.

I bought more than 5 cases again today, no issues.  But I didn't buy more than 5 of any one flavor.  Also, a Costco Business Center is opening tomorrow about a mile away from the Sam's I go to.  I am cautiously optimistic about that.