Help with a few questions about purchasing claw machine

Sswybs

First, wow. I found this website while doing some research and there are some real knowledge here regarding claw machines.

basically, COVId prevented my youngest daughter from visiting the arcade this summer to do one of her favorite things—play claw machines. 

it’s been a tough year for her and I decided that I would look into purchasing a used one online. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help with:

I have little to no mechanical skills—is buying a used claw machine in the $500 range going to be a money pit for me? Should I not even bother because the purchase power is so low and I will only be getting problem machines?

with no tech skills to speak of, is there one model I should look for that is easier to maintain than others? It doesn’t have to take coins but it would be nice if it had sounds and/or music

thanks, guys. I really appreciate any assistance you can provide.

You should not purchase such a machine if you aren't capable and knowledgeable enough to work on it.  It will break and you will be stuck.  That's even if you manage to buy one that actually works.  The next worst thing you could do would be to buy a pinball machine or a late model Royal soda machine.  All are examples of very complicated machines.  Not to mention that almost all cranes are imported with little to no support anywhere.

• 2 months later...