Nayax: The good, bad, and ugly

lacanteen

Please let me know what your experiences are. I have about 2500, yes two thousand five hundred 3G units from USAT that will go dark in a year or so. I'm not necessarily looking to switch companies, but y'all can do the math and understand that this will not be an inexpensive transition. Any insight would be appreciated. 

I can't say much about the current Nayax equipment, I started out using them several years ago and discontinued them as the telemeters failed, which was 100% eventually...  but they should be into a new generation of equipment that is hopefully better.  What might be good (or bad) for you is that going thru parlevel, I believe they are using PCS as their processor, and they deposit the full purchase amount every workday, and take out swipe fees once a month.  In an operation your size that could have a big impact on cash flow, probably for the good, with not much extra accounting....

We are basically just starting out with cashless,  Have 8 devices with them.  So far they have been pretty ok.  Decent support, and the one telemeter issue I had they covered under warranty.

Its about a 50/50 shot if the telemeter will work out of the box, or if it will require a phone call to tech support.

One thing that bugs me though is billing is one week behind.  Like you get paid from your sales 1 week later.  Which is really not a big deal.

They did give me 100.00 off for each competitor set-up I traded in.

I do like the yellow color, and the touch screen option.  Plus the talking prompts are neat.

They don't play nice with the older boards like USAtech does. I see all these new guys who like the flashy reader and then 2 weeks later they're having to call back in to tech support and looking for the updated eprom etc to try and make it work. I also see alot more hardware problems coming from Nayax. 

I gotta say, I've been irritated with Nayax as of late.  Lots of equipment failures (but they'll cover it under warranty).  We've been through all the upgrades, 2g, 3g, now 4g.    We run lots of devices through them (not nearly as many as you) and I just dislike them, but I've heard USAT has poor service as well.  Just recently we seen a rash of bad 4g devices.

George, unfortunately I don't have any experience with nayax.  One of the problems I ran into was that I couldn't finance any which may very well be covid19 related.  I tried but just couldn't get them financed.  Having said that, I didn't ask if I could just rent some as there appeared to be a pretty strong implication that readers were either bought or leased.  I had no choice but to call USAT a second time.  The only reason I reached out to Nayax the first time was because USAT never picked up or returned my call when I tried to order readers.  On the second time, I got through to my sales rep and rented 30 units.  So, if cashflow is your primary concern, I'd definitely consider just renting as many as you can and then buy them out later on.  My rep said that they will be prorated anyway so I am guessing that they go down to $1 after 60 months.  Yeah, it's a huge amount of monthly fees (I think $6.75 per reader just like a lease) but it may be cheaper than paying interest on financed models depending on your financing options.

The Nayax readers just seem a little gimmicky to me.  Here's the thing.  I am pretty active in some facebook group as well as here and the people in the group are almost unanimously pro-nayax and anti-USATech.  However, it's also important to note that the group is practically pro-seaga and pro-combo-anything as well.  In other words, Nayax is SUPER popular with rookies and part of that reason (in my opinion) is because youtube influencers swear by them and I think a lot of rookies are pretty young and they want to be like their favorite youtube star and believe everything he says anyway.  On this forum, as I am sure you are aware, the general consensus is that USAT has the more reliable device but poor customer service whereas nayax has the better customer service and crappier device.  If I was in your shoes, and I was already familiar with USAT, I'd much rather deal with knowing that I would only have to deal with crappy service from USAT in the uncommon event that I have a problem with a reader.  What difference does it make how good the customer service is when the devices are breaking down regularly?  If Southeast treats is even 1/10th your size and replaced all of his readers, I would assume you might eventually too.  It's just a bit too scary to risk it.

Now, for the technical financial aspect, I did some math when I was ordering readers and it came out like this:

I can get a reader for $250/each if I buy a certain quantity (wasn't that many, maybe 6).  Assuming it takes me 3 years to completely pay everything off, interest costs come out as follows:

10% APR = approx $37.5 in interest
15% APR = approx $56.20
20% APR = approx $75.00

At 5 years, it comes out as follows

10% APR = $62.50
20% APR = $93.75
20%APR = $130.00 in interest.

The reader will cost about $405 (6.75/month if I am not mistaken) if you lease/rent and pay it off after 5 years.  So, at $250 per reader, you'll generally save money even if you pay with a credit card instead of leasing/renting, but that will also tie up credit that you might need for something else and that's even if you have that much available credit.

Sorry if I went overboard with the calculations but it's for anyone who's interested in seeing the breakdowns.  In the end, I think it's wiser to stick with the more reliable hardware.  Also, if you didn't hear, I got word that USAT is supposedly doing some kind of program that will allow you to get G10's at a discounted rate if you ship them your G9's.  I don't know if you heard different but this was less than 2 weeks ago.

Looks like a mixed bag. I have a few test units coming. No decision has been made. While I agree that the customer service at USAT is generally poor, I usually do most of my interacting with them via email. It's usually to check a SIM card, or to ask general questions. Since we are a Canteen franchise our pricing is known. These 2500 G9s were bought at the same time so that's a big order in anyone's book and subject to high level negotiations. 

Does anyone have the one piece touch screen? 

If anyone wants the email for techs at USAT message me. I don't want to put it on a open forum. 

• Like 1

We have 262 devices with Nayax.  The tech support is leaps and bonds above the others I have dealt with (Usatech and Crane cashless) Also Nayax is the Engineering company, they are the only company making their own devices . Very surprised with the feedback here. 😮

On 10/14/2020 at 8:07 AM, bullyfrog said:

They don't play nice with the older boards like USAtech does. I see all these new guys who like the flashy reader and then 2 weeks later they're having to call back in to tech support and looking for the updated eprom etc to try and make it work. I also see alot more hardware problems coming from Nayax. 

didn't USAtech just have a major network outage a week or 2 ago that lasted for several days?

27 minutes ago, Anacapa Vending said:

didn't USAtech just have a major network outage a week or 2 ago that lasted for several days?

They did.  I think it was a problem with their internal system and not the readers themselves but it really doesn't matter what the problem is when the readers don't work, right? lol.

The thing is... I have had problematic readers before and they took care of them.  Other than those, I have almost never had an outage.  So yeah, the recent power outage was a bad mark but that's the only time I have ever seen that happen, so not a trend.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

It is Harry from Nayax. A few customers reached out to me asking me to answer any questions and update here. I am the Senior Director of Solution Sales at Nayax. I do go on to social media usually late at night to answer questions but that is facebook vending groups. I don't recall being on this site before. I also am not sure how many of you I have personally spoken to in the past but HI.

I see a mixed bag here. We are a very large engineering company with our readers on 100's of 1000's of machines in 70+ countries including every type of unattended machine (vending of course, car washes, air and vac machines, massage chairs, amusements, photo booths, etc... smart machines like Electric vehicle charging stations, kiosks, etc...). When we cover such a wide range I hear of issues of course. Frankly, I am used to much differentiation and happiness compared to others then those with concerns but as I said one sets the bar high and works through each customers issues as each is important.   

To those that do not know Nayax, as I wrote and one other did here, we are the engineering company of it's own equipment with offices in 15 countries around the world. That is quite unique. When one buys from others in the US they generally do not engineer but sell readers they buy from OEM manufacturers who white label their names on them. All readers do a good job of taking customers from cash to credit card and phone payments. Everyone does the basics well. Because we engineer and these are our own readers we do have exclusive features that especially the larger but even the smaller operators will take advantage of to increase sales and customer engagement. The one that stands out the most today is secure EMV / Chip. transactions. Nayax is EMV/Chip certified all over the world because the world has been on the chip standard for many years as the US lagged behind. (FYI... You may also notice on the back of your credit card 4 wave symbols. If you already have that, it means the credit card can now be waved on the reader instead of insert chip which for Covid is something VISA and Mastercard are pushing now for contactless card payments and are sending out 30 million updated cards in the US so by end of year everyone will have the wave symbol on their cards.) Then VISA and MAstercard after 2017 said in the US everyone needs to be off old insecure swipe cards because they are too easy to steal and everyone has chip cards because one cannot steal chip. As a result the retail segment of the US all converted over the past 3-4 years. Good luck trying to swipe in retail today. The unattended machine owners of every vertical are the only business in the world today still being sold swipe readers if they have not met Nayax. We have been EMV/Chip certified for 4 years in the US. Why does not Nayax have it and all others in the US still sell swipe or are coming out so late to everyone else? Again we engineer and we support the world of users who must use chip and are EMV certified everywhere and brought that to the US 4 years ago. Other companies, that do not control their own destiny and must rely on 3rd party companies all the time, are always behind the tech curve. We all can go down as well but Nayax has 100's of engineers who are on top of issues immediately while those that are sales and marketing companies, always have to rely on 3rd party companies for all they do. Some of these other features are power down and up alerts by text and email (immediately upon a power failure so one knows immediately the condition of their machine and avoid the downtime of waiting for a customer to call and say the machines is down or catching it by monitoring your sales reports. Those using Seed as your VMS have this but we allow it based on any machine regardless), ethernet / Wifi port (so when one encounters that location with consistently low cell and a hi gain antenna won't boost it you do not have to be stuck in cash only assuming one has access to an ethernet cable or wifi in the location, customer engagement tools (retailers know the term as it is a key to keep customers to come back but unattended machine owners do not - Nayax builds engagement into the hardware - engage through voice through the transaction, say thank you at the end, and have a rewards and loyalty app Monyx, that gives free money paid by Nayax to every customer on every purchase and more money for every $25 they spend. 

Our newest reader the VPOS Touch with it's very engaging graphical display allows the operator to brand their own messaging and graphics to the customer as well.

All the exclusive features do not cost a dime extra and the fess are usually the same across the board.

I listed some cool short videos below. Some of you might know about this and if you do not know, as I offer on the facebook groups always feel free to reach out to me. I have an open door policy. I am at harry@nayax.com or 410-666-3800 x1113.

I will pop on here now to that I know you are here.

It is all about education ladies and gentlemen. My goal is through education allowing operators to make informed decisions. It does not need be to Nayax but it needs to be informed.

To those of you with any Nayax concerns also, please feel to reach out to me. I'd love to speak to you.

Thank you!

VPOS TOUCH All in One https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2QGyX0LEQ&feature=emb_logo

VPOS TOUCH – Vandalism and Water Resistant - https://youtu.be/yptgHfhmxBE and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQ3GGMJ5kg

Monyx – See New Great Feature - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuLG0y-0yE4 - – Free Money on every purchase, Cool, and the best in Customer Engagement…. Costs nothing additional.

The Best for Vending - https://youtu.be/L2ApHJbOpjY

Monyx – Rewards and Loyaty App (AMOA Operator Award Winner): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwILaiIfMy0 

Welcome. It's always nice to have a direct line to a manufacturer rep.

I will say, we have pretty much all seen the marketing and features before. None of that matters if it does not do it's core purpose well, accept credit card payments reliably.

What we (or at least I) really want is an explanation of the higher rate of failures. Why did it happen? What steps did you all take to make sure it is fixed, and that future issues do not arise?

Thanks ORSD. NOT AT ALL TO DOWNPLAY INDIVIDUALS WITH ISSUES, I am frankly not aware of any overall issue. We have such a large distribution of readers all over, if our failure rate was large it will hit us hard and we are not. 

I would suggest anyone who feels they have had an inordinate amount of failed readers (everyone's cases will be different), please reach out to me and I am happy to look into it and address it

As I said I have an open door policy - harry@nayax.com and 41-666-3800. I will usually always get back within 24 hours and those of you that know me, can back that up.

Have to go for now. Please reach out anytime (email and phone).

Have a great weekend everyone.

Harry  

Hello Harry K and welcome to the forum!  As I said in my prior response, I was with you guys from the InOne days.  I finally ran out of working Nayax units last year; the Amit telemeters stopped sending DEX at all, even though they would still do the cashless.  I can't remember the error code but tech support didn't seem too surprised by the issue, and my telemeters were old enough to be out of warranty.  I started making the switch to USAT when they were selling the 4G units and you guys were still 3G, as I had already been thru swapping out 2G Arrow telemeters and wanted a more future proof unit.  I also wanted to get down to one cashless line to deal with.  I'm not a big operator and I appreciated your company working with me back in the day, because everyone else only wanted to talk to people ordering hundreds of units back then.  Once that segment got saturated suddenly I was much more popular.   I always liked the response your talking units got from customers!  

Thank you for your comment. Is this Phil? I did a quick peek. It looks like your devices by their serial numbers were VERY VERY old and some were even our old Arrow devices as well. 

Some background:

We have been in existence for nearly 20 years. We started internationally and now serve 70+ countries with offices in 15 countries and distributors where we do not have offices to be able to support 70+ countries and service operators, distributors and OEMs of every unattended machine vertical. To be able to reimburse all over the world we partner with 45 financial institutions and many cellular international carriers. You can imagine what a massive engineering undertaking this is and it progressed over 20 years. As we were building our networks worldwide, as you mentioned InOne Technologies was our Distributor for the US market in our early days in the US. We had no office in the US. InOne was responsible for all sales and marketing and all customer interfaces for Nayax equipment. About 5 years ago, when I started with Nayax, we decided it was time to open our North American office and opened it in Maryland. For the past 5 years, we have hands-on been educating the US and Canadian markets and that over time has been a game changer for Nayax and our customers. As I mentioned, it is all about education. With education customers can then make informed decisions no matter what the decision is. I will also reiterate, we are not a marketing company. Of course we market. Every business markets. We are an engineering company and that is what we do. We then sell what we engineer and explains the exclusive  features we offer our operators and those features when taken advantage of can increase sales.

We do not stop with just our readers. Because we lead in the world in engineering cashless technology, we leveraged our open payment system deployed all verticals of unattended machines, and leveraged that into another big and growing vertical - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations where the EV Meter is our own Electric Vehicle Charging Station with supports our open payment technology which additionally  other international manufacturers of Electric Vehicle stations are integrating our payment solutions too.

As I wrote above I am always happy to educate and speak to anyone who has any questions anytime. Please feel free to reach out to me anytime, at harry@nayax.com or 410-666-3800 x1113.

Remember there is power in education and education leads to informed decisions no matter the business.

Good luck and Happy Vending to all of you.

Harry   

Yep, it's me.  Thanks for the reply.  Well, we may have different definitions of "very old".  I know new tech has a short life span but I have only been vending for about 9 years and the last nayax units I had were 3G amit's, not that old by my reasoning.  So yes I was a little disappointed in the service life of that generation of equipment.  There is not only a hardware expense involved when units die too soon, there is labor expense to change them out and lost sales.  There is a lot I like about nayax, but USAT is working well for me right now. 

As you said, contactless is coming on strong, and will mostly replace the EMV dip process IMO.  It's now mostly a matter of the banks getting the cards issued for those not using smart phone wallets.   I like the audio from your units since most customers don't pay attention to the screen anyway; when there is a problem but the machine tells them "you have not been charged" it can really cut down on complaints.  It would be nice if you had a speaker kit to add when using other bezels like the CPI 4 in 1. 

I have some questions about the touch unit.  Since it is one piece, how does the driver trigger a service DEX?  And is the antenna internal to the unit; if so, how about low signal locations?  You mention the ability to connect by internet, but does that meet PCI security requirements? 

Thanks again!

Hi Phil.

Thank for the reply. Yes, actually because of Covid, VISA and Mastercard, whether your cards are set to expire or not, are and will continue to be sending out 30 million updated cards so that everyone by end of year will have the wave symbol on the back of their cards to make them contactless and no need to insert them but simply wave them in from of EMV certified readers.

Additionally likely during 1st quarter or so of next year, anyone using none EMV certified readers (swipe only), will lose the ability to use Apple and Google Pay as the credit card companies will be starting to restrict on non EMV technology. It is really rolling the dice with swipe only readers just like 3G technology. Wait it out but do not be surprised when the services diminish or stop.

As to your readers, you had some Arrows (those were the 2G)  and then it looks like we had just come out with the first AMITs. (3G CDMA). Your serial number were starting with 131xxx and AMITs started with 130xxxx. I have seen some that old still out there but that was long ago. You started at the beginning of 3G Nayax devices. 4G AMITs are now in the 450xxx as I recall in the US and the VPOS Touch came into play in the US about 2 years ago and deeply for the past 1 1/2 years. 

Let's try to speak as you can and I am happy to answer all of your questions. Call me anytime 410-666-3800 x1113.

Looking forward. Good night.

All the best,

Harry  

• 1 year later...

Had to create an account just to add my experience with Nayax.

I had high hopes and spent a long time researching various companies to eventually end up with Nayax.

The devices are not cheap compared to other solutions on the market.

My device was faulty from the get go constantly restarting and freezing.

Suppprt did several resets which temporarily fix the issue for an hour or so and it's back to freezing.

I eventually lost all hope and have spent the last month trying to return and close my account.

I did think at one point perhaps it's just bad luck I had the VPOS Touch. I've seen these devices in various locations and have seen two more out in public which have the same issue.

This sector of the market seems to have alot of companies with poor service going to try Payter next not as fancy but cheaper per unit and per transaction fee.

12 hours ago, Webooked said:

Had to create an account just to add my experience with Nayax.

I had high hopes and spent a long time researching various companies to eventually end up with Nayax.

The devices are not cheap compared to other solutions on the market.

My device was faulty from the get go constantly restarting and freezing.

Suppprt did several resets which temporarily fix the issue for an hour or so and it's back to freezing.

I eventually lost all hope and have spent the last month trying to return and close my account.

I did think at one point perhaps it's just bad luck I had the VPOS Touch. I've seen these devices in various locations and have seen two more out in public which have the same issue.

This sector of the market seems to have alot of companies with poor service going to try Payter next not as fancy but cheaper per unit and per transaction fee.

Did they send you a replacement unit to try?  What kind of machine did you have it on?  Did you have a strong RSSI signal?

Hi Rebooked.

I am sorry you did not have a positive experience. Our devices are not independent. What I mean is they connect to machines and we are on every kind of machine one can imagine in over 60 countries. Within our vending vertical, as you wrote our devices our more advanced, and because they are (and have tons of features exclusive to our operators), some machines with older eproms can be problematic and customers update the eproms and they work. Many of the outsourced/white-labeled hardware people buy when they do not buy Nayax, will work out of the box on some of these old MDB versions of eproms because they do not have the features sets that require modern MDB. 

I do not know your case. I am happy to look at your or anyone's situation directly as I mention frequently on-line and many take me up on it. Feel free as you desire and I wish you the best of luck. My contact is below.

Nayax Rings Opening Bell on 9/21
https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/09/21/opening-bell-september-21-2022.html and joins Nasdaq https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nayax-announces-expected-nasdaq-listing-140000907.html

HOT  News – Customers small to huge keep coming for Nayax Technology - https://www.nayax.com/resource/nayax-provides-cashless-payment-solution-for-five-star-food-service/ and https://www.vendingconnection.com/articles/nayax-enters-agreement-with-compass-group-usa/

Nayax does not sell “vanilla readers” that accept VISA/Mastercard/Amex/Discover and Apple/Goggle and Samsung Pay as many do. Our devices are strategic tools, with specific technology features to help our operators increase their revenue and lower their cost of operations. We engineer and manufacturer for over 60+ countries in every type of machine that exists from more simple vending to very complex Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, unlike others who buy basic readers from outsources and white label their names on them for resale. Read and see visually many of these exclusive Nayax features.

Technology Matters - https://www.linkedin.com/posts/harrykozlovsky_nayax-emv-cashlesspayments-activity-6958352399283408896-nAw_?utm_source=linkedin_share&utm_medium=member_desktop_web

New Nayax Technology Features:

Instant Receipts - https://youtu.be/k2SkUIb8rZI

EasiFit for MEI Validators - https://www.vendingconnection.com/articles/nayax-intros-easifit/ (see attached)

Multi-Vend with EMV and no High Customer Preauthorization’s – This allows your operators to safely sell multiple products - https://www.nayax.com/resource/nayax-announces-incremental-authorization-of-emv-compliant-multi-vend-transactions-for-u-s-vending-operators/?utm_campaign=2022%20-%20Announcements&utm_content=196502423&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&hss_channel=lcp-2214630

NovaMarket - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAlsm4elcw0

Reach out anytime:

Harry Kozlovsky
Senior Director of Solution Sales, Nayax
410-302-9015
harry@nayax.com

4 hours ago, Harry K said:

EasiFit for MEI Validators - https://www.vendingconnection.com/articles/nayax-intros-easifit/ (see attached)

Reach out anytime:

Harry Kozlovsky
Senior Director of Solution Sales, Nayax
410-302-9015
harry@nayax.com

Hello Harry....I see you mentioned "EasiFit".  Is this currently available?  If not, when do you plan on it being released?  Which MEI bill acceptors will it work on?  The 2000 series or only the new Talos units?