Biocide 100 Disinfectant

mbajohn1990

1 hour ago, mbajohn1990 said:

Is Biocide 100 Disinfectant toxic?  I found it on candy machines.com and I am considering buying some.  Is it able to be used in all parts of the machine?  A link to the product is below

https://www.candymachines.com/Biocide-100-Disinfectant-Quart-Spray-Bottle--P7275.aspx

There was a guy that came on this site in May who I believe was a shill for A & A Global trying to push this product. I had also received an email from A & A a couple of weeks before that advertising this product. I researched the product and could find nothing that stated it was safe for contact with food so I passed on it. Even the websites that sell it sidestep saying that it is safe around food so I sure wouldn't be spraying it on candy chutes. It and products like it are really designed for mold mitigation and removal, not food services. I have a local competitor who I talk to quite a bit and he bought several cases of this product and the stickers that you can put on the machines that say they have been treated with Biocide. He has not had any problems (that I know of) to date. I also don't think using it has significantly helped his sales because he appears to be in the same boat as the rest of us. I can tell you this......My route guy and I have not had one person ask us what product we are cleaning the machines with since we went back on the road in May.  I use generic glass cleaner on the machine and Purell Foodservice Sanitizer on the candy chutes like I always have. Looking at the research out there the virus predominantly transmits person to person and doesn't live on surfaces for very long so I throw that narrative out there as much as possible when talking to customers.  I really feel like the people using my machines right now are the type of people who are not worried about catching the virus off of surfaces or they just don't care about it at all. Ultimately the safety concerns of using the product and it's prohibitive cost convinced me to stick with my regular sanitation methods.  Here is the link to the conversation in May:

If you decide to try it out please share your thoughts with the rest of us on the use of it. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

When this first came out, I did some preliminary Google searching and found some not very good results regarding contact with this and food surfaces and sent my findings to A&A.  Big surprise there was no response.  So I did a hard pass on the Biocide.  I use Mean Green or some other antibacterial cleaner that smells nice in case someone walks by.  I have been asked about cleaning a couple times and say I have always tried to clean whenever I service to the best of my ability all along.  Now I just wear a mask at all times inside a customer's store, and rotate product every time.  I will also switch by bringing a tote of 8-10 heads to change them out entirely each cycle, and break down/sanitize and clean older heads.  In short, do the best you can.