Dixie Narco 501E Flourescent Light Problem

rjh914

Could use some advice on troubleshooting flourescent lights on an old Dixie Narco 501.  I installed new, big daddy F64 T12 lights, but they wouldn't fire up.  Next, I tried a new, modern ballast from Home Depot...still no dice.  What am I missing here?

20210107_153628[1].jpg

20210107_153616[1].jpg

E models are notorious for having broken wires in the harness between the cabinet and the door.  The original ballast should have been mounted to the inside of the cabinet next to the condenser with the plug leading to the door from there.  First, make sure that the new ballast supports two F64T12 bulbs.  If it only shows T8s then it won't work.  Second, put black wire to black wire and white to white on the new ballast to the old supply wires.  Third, do the same on the red and blue wires.  If you have no power then open up the harness between the cabinet and the door and play with individual wires there.  The problem is probably the black or white wire being broken there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you AZ Vendor!!!

Sure enough, the black/white wires were broken where the harness "folds" at the door.  The old 15lb boat anchor ballast still worked.

I find it odd that they used solid wire for these lights.