Help with Royal 650

LVS

Royal 650 at location had broken antenna.  Replaced it, then machine display said cash only.  Tried to remove it and found board menu button would'nt do anything.  Powered down and up and machine went back to normal.  Lasted a day and then went back to cash only display.  Powered it down again and when powered up display went off and machine shut down.  Card reader powered but not cooling and display and machine off. 

Any help on what went wrong and how to fix, greatly appreciated.

You really need to be clearer about what you're saying.  There's the card reader, the swipe (which has its own display),the display on the soda machine, the board on the soda machine, and the telemeter (part that transmits card reader data).  I'm getting confused by all that you say but it sounds like you blew a fuse.  The 650 may have a black piece with a couple fuses in it.  It should be in the upper middle of the door and looks kind of like a flat black lego.  Push it down slightly and it'll pop out.  You have to do the reverse to lock it in.  Check that.  "Cash only" usually happens when the board disables components so maybe you have a bad component in the machine causing problems or a short circuit or broken fuse.  That's all I can guess.  Someone else should have a better idea.

10 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

You really need to be clearer about what you're saying.  There's the card reader, the swipe (which has its own display),the display on the soda machine, the board on the soda machine, and the telemeter (part that transmits card reader data).  I'm getting confused by all that you say but it sounds like you blew a fuse.  The 650 may have a black piece with a couple fuses in it.  It should be in the upper middle of the door and looks kind of like a flat black lego.  Push it down slightly and it'll pop out.  You have to do the reverse to lock it in.  Check that.  "Cash only" usually happens when the board disables components so maybe you have a bad component in the machine causing problems or a short circuit or broken fuse.  That's all I can guess.  Someone else should have a better idea.

It is the machine display that went blank.  The card reader display is working.

53 minutes ago, LVS said:

Yes.  Except for card reader electronics appear to be out.  Considered it might be fuse or is it board?

I think it could be either but I have never had to replace a fuse in a 650.  I don't know what the symptoms are.  Someone else should know, but checking the fuses is easy.  The board seems like the most likely culprit.

If the card reader is USAT, it will say cash only for a number of reasons.  Most common is during a vend started with cash (you can't split payments during a transaction), or if the coin mech return lever is depressed or the flight deck gate is out of place.  Check for coin jams.  Check your signal strength to see if the reader can communicate with the provider system.  If the card reader is not able to communicate with the machine it will also read cash only, so troubleshoot the machine.  Then disconnect the card reader and reconnect the cash equipment and see if the machine works, which would identify the card reader as the likely issue.  Reconnect being sure that the MDB connections are in the proper order, which is board - telemeter - validator - coin mech.   The not cooling part normally would not be caused by the payment system, I might suspect the control board if nothing else is found.  Check all connections on the control board (with power off) and make sure all are tight and clean.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So to update my first replacement of a Royal board.  After replacing this board which I took off another machine I checked my app later and found that cans and bottles selling for the wrong price.  Realized price setting from donor board had to be reset.  Went back to location and reset prices.  Felt good about fixing another problem, then got call from location telling me the pop was frozen.  Thought now I had a compressor problem but after thinking about it checked temp setting.  Apparently when board reinstalled it reverted temp to 32 degrees.   Reset temp and had to find damaged cans. Think I got it all.

Lesson for inexperienced-once you install a board check all your settings before you leave the machine.

• Like 1

I guess you thought the new board would just read your mind? Of course you have to set it up. No board is ever going to be set as the last one was and assumptions will get you in trouble. The 32 deg setting is odd but could have happened if it was not powered for a long time though that isn't even a default temp setting.

At least you got it going!   Vendo boards can be set for 32 F set point as well.  I still disagree with that since the compressor cycles at 2 degrees above and below the set point.  At a 32 degree set point, the compressor engages at 30 F and disengages at 34 F.  This can freeze at least the bottom drinks in the columns and cause a mess.  Our DEFAULT setting is 36 F  and I warn everyone the dangers of lowering the setpoint.