can't access menu on new royal control board

kiko

I had to replace a royal control board, merlin IV blue button. I bought a refurbished board from a reputable online company but when I installed it I cannot reach the menu choices to set the price, sales depth, or selections. I can only go through the choices: error, coin payout, tube fill, password, test vend, and return. The company I bought it from has not been able to get me any information on how to fix this. Is it a software problem? am I doing something stupid? have any of you run into this problem before? thanks c. 

Three button programming means only that three selection buttons are used to move through the menus.  Four button programming uses four selection buttons.  The password remains the same but it requires a push of the "ENTER" button, whichever selection button is designated as the ENTER button within the programming.  Usually the 4th selection button is considered the ENTER button and you will need to press ENTER before you put the code in OR after you put the code in.  So the button presses would be either 42314 or 44231.  If you enter it incorrectly the display will change back to PASS and you will have to try the code again.