New claw machine bill acceptor not working. Options?

RM412

Hello,

Just bought my first claw machine so I’m new to all of this. It’s a 42in rainbow claw. It has a pyramid bill acceptor model number xlc-5200-sn2-USA. The bill acceptor no longer works. We’re looking to replace it, but pyramid says it’ll be about 6 weeks. I also don’t see any with that exact model number on eBay. Anyone know what I can do here? Should I hold out for pyramid, buy one on eBay with a similar model number? If that’s the case will I need a wiring harness. Like I said I’m new to this, so I really don’t know how to go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

how is it mounted? If possible I would try to switch over to a Mars MEI AE2000 series acceptor. If you have to stick with the pyramid one you should just get a working replacement of the same model and swap it out. I wouldn't switch model unless it's a last resort... because you might as well switch to Mars if you're going to have to get new harnesses and make it mount up flush.

Is there a coin acceptor on it though? If so you might want to just run it coin only... rainbow crane's are kind of older.

4 hours ago, RoadDogAmusements said:

how is it mounted? If possible I would try to switch over to a Mars MEI AE2000 series acceptor. If you have to stick with the pyramid one you should just get a working replacement of the same model and swap it out. I wouldn't switch model unless it's a last resort... because you might as well switch to Mars if you're going to have to get new harnesses and make it mount up flush.

Is there a coin acceptor on it though? If so you might want to just run it coin only... rainbow crane's are kind of older.

Thanks for the reply! Not sure how it’s mounted. I’d definitely like to get a new one of the same model, but currently can’t find a used one online, and after calling the manufacturer, they claim they can’t get me one for a few months. What’s involved with replacing it to the different model? Where would I buy the wrong harness, which one to get, etc.?

Open up the machine and look at how it's mounted to the door. Is it in a metal plate? Cut out of a wooden panel? Carraige bolts? weld nuts? just get an idea of how it was mounted and if it was designed to be swapped out or not?

If you can read the model number off of the bill reader I'm sure someone out there has one for you. eBay is ok but not really the best place to buy vending equipment. I would get the harnesses probably from the same person you buy the dba from, or you can try building them yourself if you're a DIY guy. You probably want to replace it with a comparable model... I'm guessing it's a pyramid that accepts $1s and $5s? Probably runs off of 110v ac? I would try to get a mars ae 2411 or something like that to mount in place and get the wiring set up. Or like I said just swap out for a known working part.

What exactly is wrong with the dba you have though? Is it maybe just dirty? Did you try the cleaning card things?

It appears to be just a cutout in the front panel with a small bolt on each corner. It lights up, and is 120v ac. It just doesn’t accept bills at all. When it was sold to me the guy said it would just need to be replaced. Any recommendations for sites that I could buy from? eBay is the only place I checked, and they don’t have any exact matches. Will any wiring harness I buy with a different model eventually connect to our existing wiring? If it’s simple to switch models I’d be willing to do that, but I just assumed it would be a lot easier to get the same model. 

What is the model number? Or post some pictures of the DBA? depending on the cutout it might be convertible, it might not. Yeah, it's easiest to just get a replacement that is the same model, but there's also a reason you're having to replace it. Not that Mars stuff doesn't die too... it's just better.

I have never used these guys, and I know I just told you not to buy stuff on eBay... but it came up while I was looking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GET-A-BILL-ACCEPTOR-VALIDATOR-OF-YOUR-CHOICE-FULLY-REFURBISHED/283812716194

There's probably other companies that do a similar service, try looking around for deals.

• 2 weeks later...

Rainbows use the Mars down stackers (or pyramid versions). VN series if I remember correctly. The rainbow uses a lockout scheme and will lockout the bill acceptor for errors or while in game play. I have a few rainbows in my storage unit and I see if I can get you the correct model number.

• 5 months later...

I'm interested in the answer to this one,too. I recently acquired my first Rainbow Crane 42" "Treasure House" and it came without the bill acceptor...just a hole cut in the wood front with tape ( yes TAPE that was sharpies black) covering the hole.