Royal GII FROZEN

Any idea what could cause this machine to freeze the way it did. I adjusted the temp after unplugging and defrosting it??? I assumed the door wasn’t closed properly, but then it did the same thing again the next day. It’s a Royal GII (RVCC 390-9). 

8DD33C1C-FB55-4FC7-A8A8-47822F2DB73C.jpeg

0B938684-4146-49EE-827C-9D3BDAB14A8B.jpeg

3CCC36DB-98A2-4F08-B22D-EBDB17219E33.jpeg

8639E5CA-219B-4BF7-9889-691B205E43F6.jpeg

19931DB0-26B0-4281-BD90-F5B49249784C.jpeg

It doesn't have a thermostat, it has a computer controlled sensor.  If, by chance, someone has frankensteined it with a thermostat then it needs to have the temperature sensor properly installed so it will work correctly.

You should be able to test the temp sensor by displaying the current temp reading and see if it's accurate.  After that, warm the sensor with your hand and check again.  If the sensor reacts and gradually displays a rising temps confirming a good or bad temp sensor.

At that point, you have to start looking at the compressor relay circuit.  Does the compressor continue to run with the door open?  If so, that would be a sign that the comp relay is either always engaged  ( board failure ) or welded itself closed ( relay failure ) supplying power regardless of the temp reading.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:59 AM, AZVendor said:

It doesn't have a thermostat, it has a computer controlled sensor.  If, by chance, someone has frankensteined it with a thermostat then it needs to have the temperature sensor properly installed so it will work correctly.

i am guessing/assuming that the G3 machine does/does not have a thermostat?

No.  All electronic Royals have temperature sensors from the factory.  Some doofus's have put thermostates in them but they can cause cooling problems if not done correctly, and I've seen some of those.

You will find the temp sensor mounted to the evaporator hood in the rear of the machine.  It might also be mounted to the back of the cabinet next to or above the evaporator.  The sensor is usually riveted on so you will have to drill out the rivets to remove it.  Follow the harness all the way back to the logic board so you know which connector to take off the board.  The drop sensor and temp sensor look alike so you want to make sure you are working with the temp sensor only.  Don't damage or cut the insulation on the new sensor or you will render it useless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheCandyLady said:

@AZVendor would you be able to share with me step by step on how to change the temp sensor or even direct me to instructions? I can’t find anything online on it. I’ve heard it’s fairly easy, but I don’t even know where to start. Thanks for all of your help and insight. 

if you're in the NY NJ CT PA area, i might be able to stop by for installation, you will pay for gas and tolls, ill have the fun with the machine 😜