Vendo 721 frozen

Hello All,

Thank for your help in advance.

I have Vendo 721 which is fairly new just two years old but when I went to service the machine. I saw ice all over the refrigeration line ( copper tube) inside the machine. Everything is cooling okay, what should I do? 

Thanks for your help.

A thin coating of frost is normal if the unit was running when you opened it. If there is more than that then look for air leaks, was the door closed tightly? Is the inner door flap closing properly?

• Like 1

Yes... make sure the door flap closes completely.  I've seen people incorrectly install the motor cover leaving it sticking out too far.  When the insulator door is closed it creates a crease on the insulator door that effects the flap door hinge and keeps the flap from moving smoothly and closing on it's own.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lacanteen said:

A thin coating of frost is normal if the unit was running when you opened it. If there is more than that then look for air leaks, was the door closed tightly? Is the inner door flap closing properly?

Thank you for your help.It had good three inches thick ice around it. I will check the door again today.

If the ice build up is complete around the evaporator, then it's either an air leak or motor not running or sensor/relay problem. If the ice is only on the top portion or bottom portion you may be low on gas. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

If the ice build up is complete around the evaporator, then it's either an air leak or motor not running or sensor/relay problem. If the ice is only on the top portion or bottom portion you may be low on gas. 

Thank you for your help.It is only around that copper pipe. I will have it turn it off during the weekend and check on Monday, 

If the only thing freezing ice on it is the accumulator (large copper bulb in front of the evaporator) then you probaby have bad valves in your compressor.  The accumulator is not supposed to get cold enough to freeze.  If the valves leak back to the high side you will freeze the accumulator.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, lacanteen said:

This is what I found today, is it dangerous to keep the machine running. Thank you again for your help. 

vendo721.jpg

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

This is what I found today, is it dangerous to keep the machine running. Thank you again for your help. 

vendo721.jpg

I think that's a bad compressor but I'm not sure.  I have only seen it like that once where the entire line is frozen over and I got rid of the machine.  

Just now, AngryChris said:

I think that's a bad compressor but I'm not sure.  I have only seen it like that once where the entire line is frozen over and I got rid of the machine.  

Thank you for your reply. This is fairly new machine only three years old, Will compressor go bad that soon. 

2 hours ago, putrevus said:

Thank you for your reply. This is fairly new machine only three years old, Will compressor go bad that soon. 

Anything can fail but wait until someone else says something. It may be under warranty

• Like 1

At this point you have to shut the refrigeration down and let it completely thaw. Once you start it back up, you want to wait for it to cycle off at the right temperature. When you open the door, the unit should shut off. If not, you have a bad relay. Also, in the programming, make sure the temperature setting is either in the middle or above, not lower. I don't remember if the machine can display the temperature, that needs to be watched as well. If inaccurate, it would be the temperature sensor. 

1 hour ago, lacanteen said:

At this point you have to shut the refrigeration down and let it completely thaw. Once you start it back up, you want to wait for it to cycle off at the right temperature. When you open the door, the unit should shut off. If not, you have a bad relay. Also, in the programming, make sure the temperature setting is either in the middle or above, not lower. I don't remember if the machine can display the temperature, that needs to be watched as well. If inaccurate, it would be the temperature sensor. 

Thank you again for your help. I have unplugged it so it can thaw completely. I went to check it today , in the temperature setting it was showing 54F .Unit is shutting off when we open the door and looks like fan is running when we close the door.

Where can we buy the relay. I checked Betson part , I could not find it.

I called Vendo technical support, they are saying it air gap somewhere or putty problem around copper tubing. They asked me to check inner doors to see if there is any gap or gap around harnesses.

He is 100% sure it is not relay issue .

Unless I'm mistaken, It was a icing up on the evap.  Compressor is cycling correctly so the relay is fine.  I think there was some product being stored down by the evap blocking airflow that helps lead to iced up evaporator.  Let us know how it's doing in a day or so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vendo Mike said:

Unless I'm mistaken, It was a icing up on the evap.  Compressor is cycling correctly so the relay is fine.  I think there was some product being stored down by the evap blocking airflow that helps lead to iced up evaporator.  Let us know how it's doing in a day or so.

Thank you for your help .You mean to say there is loose product sitting on evaporator and blocking airflow. Once all the ice melts I will check that out also.

IF this is the same machine I spoke on the phone about yesterday, I believe there was product being store in the area around the evap coil.   That will block airflow and cause ice to accumulate.  I may be mixing you up with someone else though.  It's been one of those weeks.