Dixie Narco 276e SII-D - How to enter diagnostic mode:

I carefully swapped out the main control board for a reconditioned replacement tonight, the replacement board is working fine in sales mode.

However, I've still got the original problem of not being able to get into service/diagnostic mode! Even with the replacement board in, nothing happens when I press the blue service button.

I tried playing around with the door switch again etc, but no luck.

Can anyone help me out with any other suggestions please? I really thought I had cracked it tonight. 

(I have put the original board back in, as the selection price on the replacement was different & obviously I can't get into service mode to change it).

The only thing I can think of is to disconnect components one at a time (power off before disconnecting) to see if a component or harness is at fault.  Start with the coin mech/mdb harness, then validator (if it's plugged into the board), then the motor harness, and anything else except the power and the display.  

To clarify how you enter service mode, you open the machine, press the blue button, front display should say hd (historical data) for American models, and then you press selections 1+2 simultaneously (hold them) to scroll through the menu.  If either button doesn't work, you can't scroll,but you should see something on the display to indicate that you're in service mode after pressing the blue button.

Great news... we got into service mode!

A lot of head scratching tonight at work and going over some of the many suggestions that people here have kindly given me, but we finally worked it out.

Down on the bottom of the door, right by the hinge is a little magnet, when the door closes over the magnet lines up right next to a metal box. This seems to tell the machine that the door is closed.

Unscrew the magnet from the door, tape it to the metal box, press the magic blue button on the control board and hey presto we are in service mode.

Massive thanks again to everyone who was helping me out with ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Back to my original mission of troubleshooting column number three!

That was a doozy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a machine with that setup. Good job, I would have slapped a board in too before finding that even if I was in front of the machine with my tools.

Would you mind taking a pic of it and the machine and posting it for others to reference?

I have also never heard of this.  I'm sorry that we couldn't help you but maybe that's a EU version that we've just never seen before.  And I know that AZVendor and orsd have seen a LOT of DN machines.  I have a few dozen myself.

That's no problem at all, I'm just grateful for all the assistance you guys gave me. I would probably have ended up paying for a service engineer to visit otherwise.

I have not seen anything online about a set up like that and the instructions inside the machine make no mention of it either. Whether it is something specific to the UK or the refreshments company that owned the machine before we purchased it I don't know.

I will attach some pictures later on for interest!

Thanks again.

The first image is a magnet mounted on a small right angled bracket close to the bottom vending machine door hinge, on the door side.

The second image is a small metal box that has some electrical components in. When the vending machine door is closed over the magnet on the door sits pretty close to the metal box. (I marked the black lines on so I knew roughly where the magnet interacted with the metal box).

When the magnet is next to the metal box there is power to the door display & the machine goes into sales mode. A press of the blue button and we are in service mode.

My electrician colleague has not seen anything like that before either. Apologies for the poor quality images, I seem to be limited on the file size that I can upload.

Thanks everyone again for all the help!

20210607_073518_copy_242x144.jpg

20210607_073537_copy_163x212.jpg

• 2 years later...