Dixie Narco 276e SII-D - Motor Homing:

BenFire

Hello everyone,

I have been playing around trying to get column 3 in our Dixie Narco 276e SII-D machine back up and running. It has been sitting with one of the connections to the motor disconnected and previously having problems with the odd dry vend.

When I connect it back up and power the machine up the motor tries to home every minute or so. It tries to home for maybe 20 seconds or so. The cam and rotor are turning incredibly slowly and the motor is making a loud noise.

Once the arm of the vend switch eventually drops into a notch on the cam it still continues to keep homing and eventually the switch arm comes out the notch again. On entering service mode the machine is telling me that there is a jam in column 3. I have had a good look and there is nothing stuck in or around the rotor. 

I ran out of spare time on shift tonight; if possible I would like to take a vend switch from a working column and try that. Then a motor from a working column to try that too.

I have tried doing motor tests in service mode on that column and it does the same; loud noise and rotor/cam turn really really slowly.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Probably a bent rotor from being loaded incorrectly with wrong shims. If you take the motor off and the rotor turns easily then it's a bad motor that needs to be replaced.

Thanks everyone!

Spent some time tonight troubleshooting; removed the motor from column 3, the rotor turns okay with no real rubbing (Just catches the back spacer a little at the rear). Decided to remove the motor from column 4 to compare how the rotor feels trying to turn it, actually feels slightly harder to turn than the problem one on column 3.

Decide to put the fully working motor from column 4 onto column 3 and confirm its the motor at fault.... nothing happens. Put the 'problem' motor from column 3 onto column 4, also nothing happening. Try motor testing and vending all the other columns, also nothing happening. 

Few minutes of panic and then realise that I have manged to blow the 6 amp motor fuse. Have put everything back to how it was before and going to run over to the electrical wholesalers in the morning to get some replacement fuses.

Going to order a new motor assembly aswell. 

Replaced the 6 amp motor fuse this morning; inserted money to do some test vends... only column 7 is vending, all the other columns say 'please try another selection' when you press them.

Do I need to clear the faults off? Or have I manged to do something more serious when swapping the motors on Column 3 and 4?

Many thanks!

Check your motor connectors. Make sure they are reinstalled and that you have not missed the tabs with the connector (unplug and replug carefully making sure it is aligned if you are unsure).

Edited by orsd

All sorted now, thank you!

Powered down the machine and checked all the motor connections, with no obvious issues found. Powered back up and into diagnostic mode; the columns that were not working were all showing as jammed. Motor Tested each column a couple of times, vending product no problem. Closed up and back into sales mode, inserted coins and all columns working again.

Now keeping a handful of 6amp fuses in my locker at work! Going to order a motor assembly to replace the suspect one on column 3.

Will report back with progress once I have that put in!

Thanks everyone again.

Hey Ben

Keep the pivot point where the motor brake rides on the motor core clear of syrup and gunk.  Also,  make sure the return spring is strong.  When the motor power is cut by the board, the  brake (brass paddle on the motor ) should engage instantly to stop the motor.  When something slows this down, the motor will "coast" past the notch on the cam.  When this happens, it basically re-engages trying to correct itself each time the door is closed and the cycle continues.   Sense a motor is not much more than a coil and a metal core, as long as the motor turns, it's usually fine.   If the motor doesn't stop,  the brake assembly and switches is normally where issues are found.   Beyond that you have to start looking at harness and board issues.

Many thanks Vendo Mike, really appreciate the detailed information as always.

I am going to put the reconditioned motor assembly in when it arrives, having a selection not in use sticker on that button really bugs me, so I just want that up and running. I'm then going to spend some time looking at the motor assembly that I've taken off, following good advice on here and give it a good clean up and replacing the switch etc.

Hopefully then that will give me a spare motor assembly to hold onto.

• 1 month later...

A little update: Placed the reconditioned motor assembly in tonight. On powering up, having the same problem as before with the original motor...

The motor is trying to home, the motor seems to be turning okay, but the cam & rotor are turning incredibly slowly still. It just keeps constantly trying to home on & off all the time until the motor starts to overheat.

I tried swapping the motor assembly over with the working column next to it. Same problem on column 3; motor homing on & off all the time, but cam & rotor turning really slow. The column I swapped the reconditioned motor to is working correctly. 

This makes me think the problem lies with 'column 3' as opposed to the motor assembly itself? The rotor turns easily by hand with the motor assembly off, so I'm confident that's not the issue either.

Could there be a wiring or board problem?

All the other columns are working correctly. 

As always, many thanks for any input.

Thanks AZVendor, I really appreciate the suggestions. 

I spent some time tonight at work trying to troubleshoot. I removed a known working rotor and placed it in the problem column, I also swapped another working motor assembly in too.

No luck, still the same issue. Constantly trying to home, motor turning, but cam/rotor turning really slowly.

So I've tried three different motor assemblies and a known working rotor. I'm guessing that narrows things down to the harness and board now?

Many thanks.