AP Snackshop Model 113 issues

I have an AP Snackshop model 113 that we picked up and then sold to a friend.  We had the machine for 3-4 years in an account with little to no problems.  We sold to our friend, helped him set it up in the new account, and as we tested the machine a couple times everything seemed fine.  Then.....

The machine was working fine but the front screen said "0553".  I had never seen that before.  Once you put in money, it would show the money that you had put in, it would refund your money if you wanted it, it would give change back properly, etc.  It was weird but as I said, the machine seemed to be working fine, so we were just going to leave it be and let it say "0553" haha.  Then....

A couple days later (this morning) the machine started to free vend items.  His contact sent him a picture of the product container half full of snacks.  

Does anyone have any clue what this could be?  Is the "0553" a code saying something is wrong with the machine?  Does that have anything to do with the free vending issue?  Again, the machine worked well for years until we moved it.  We did have to take the control panel off to get the machine in the door but we took pictures beforehand and made sure we connected everything back up correctly.

Thanks, 

Will

Sounds more like the board's RAM has some garbage in it and is causing the display to read out the same.   Since the machine worked fine before moving, I would look closely at the board mounting, harnessing, newly added peripherals etc.  Looking for pinched harnesses, partial/incomplete connections, etc.

I'd also consider the electrical system of the new location.  I say that because the problems began with the new location.   If there wasn't any damage to the wiring, harnesses, etc. the next culprit would be location. 

We've found several service areas (in several cases it encompasses several sq miles) that routinely have voltage drop to 90v consistently.   With older machines, especially those that use dumb mechs, we've seen some really wierd issues.  MDB equipment doesn't seem to be as vulnerable, yet.

Many times we've had good results by installing upgrade kits and/or putting snack vendors on battery backups. 

In most these cases we've noticed reduced service calls after the power company replaced transformers in the area and voltage meets 110v consistently. 

**New Update**

The weirdness continues.  The changer "jackpot'ed the nickels and dimes out of the changer.  "0553" is gone.  When you press a selection to see what the price is, "use lower value bill" shows on the screen.  When you put in change or a bill, it doesn't register on the screen, but does register in the machine.  You can vend items, and most of the items seem to work.

He checked with the secretary and she was unaware of any past power issues.  He also tested the wall outlet for power and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

I plan on meeting my friend there tomorrow to check out the machine myself.  I will make sure all the cords/harnesses are plugged in correctly.  

Chard.  Do you have a battery backup that you recommend?  Hopefully we fix it, but we may need to try that.

Thanks.

Check for flickering or burned out fluorescent lights in and around the machine. Unplug the machine lights to troubleshoot. Cannot stress this enough. 

Edited by orsd

Check your wall outlet, for ground as well as proper polarity and less than 1 VAC neutral to ground. Check power cord for damage, missing ground pin. I have boxes of OEM boards from upgrades if you want to try. It would be great if you could post a picture to make sure it's OEM. 

**new update**

I am here at the account. We have tried plugging the machine into different outlets. Including one 100 feet away in a different room. 

A1, when selected, the auger rotates twice. It is the only one in the machine that is doing this. 

A5 is free vending. You simply press A5 and you get the product. 

The machine still says “use lower value bill” when you press a selection to see its price. 

I have tried to take a picture of the computer board but the file size is too big to upload. I can try and upload it later today when I get home to my computer. 

Anyone want to buy an AP 113? Haha. 

Here's a proposal: I'll send you a used control board and display. Change both at the same time. The part number for the board is 360165. If it solves your problem, make a donation to this forum. PM me your FedEx Ground address and phone and I'll send one to you. The amount you send is totally up to you. 

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest or investment in this forum. I just try to help keep the lights on. 

That's definitely the original board.  The only thing I would wonder now is if you have one of those really old inone converter kits in it (not the whole board upgrade).  They are rectangular boxes and you would NOT be able to miss it if it was in there.  Regardless, those boards should be easy to find/replace since so many people update the machines to new conversion boards.

we've used the APC battery backups from Sam's Club, the smaller one.  But I would definitely put in the board and display LACanteen offered.  That will probably solve the issue.   

Those are some wierd problems. 

On 6/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, AngryChris said:

That's definitely the original board.  The only thing I would wonder now is if you have one of those really old inone converter kits in it (not the whole board upgrade).  They are rectangular boxes and you would NOT be able to miss it if it was in there.  Regardless, those boards should be easy to find/replace since so many people update the machines to new conversion boards.

Are you referring to the easy1 box? You don’t need those for a 113 since dex is built in the open connector bottom left..

Only  thing you may have is someone tapped power to install a telemetry device but usually that’s Cantaloupe and we had a a connector that went into the open fan jack.

A 113 is still a great machine slap a revision door on with drop sensors and LED lighting and its every bit as good as the new machines... certainly a stronger cabinet.

10 hours ago, EthanW said:

Are you referring to the easy1 box? You don’t need those for a 113 since dex is built in the open connector bottom left..

Only  thing you may have is someone tapped power to install a telemetry device but usually that’s Cantaloupe and we had a a connector that went into the open fan jack.

A 113 is still a great machine slap a revision door on with drop sensors and LED lighting and its every bit as good as the new machines... certainly a stronger cabinet.

I don't remember what the board was called.  It was on a machine that was part of a small route purchase.  The primary function appeared to be to add a drop sensor.  I bet it was a product that was quickly discontinued.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry.  Been crazy busy last 2 weeks (thank God right?).

YES!!!

We plugged in the board you sent me and it worked immediately.  You sure I can't send you any $$$?

I plan on donating some $$$ to the website, after I figure out how to later today.  I have been meaning to for a while as this board/forum has saved my butt a couple times in the past.

Thanks for all the help everyone, LACANTEEN especially!

Will

• 2 months later...