Ams combo hot - compressor issues

OVend

I have a sensit 3 combo that is not cooling. Inside the cabinet is actually a lot hotter than outside. Temp reads 94 degrees. Setpoint is 40. I plugged the cooling unit into an extension cord. There is a fan running but the compressor isn’t kicking on. Keeps making a clicking noise like it’s trying to start. I took the screen off the back and felt the compressor, it was hot. I called Ams tech support and they said it could be many different things. I’m a rookie but Would you guys recommend that I try to order parts and see if I can fix it, such as compressor starter and capacitor. Or should I call a refrigeration repair company and have them swap out a new compressor? Or should I just get an entire new Ams cooling unit and replace it? Thank you in advance

this machine is outside?

covered?

these machines are not meant to be outside, the temp outside is always either too hot or too cold, the compressor keeps trying t reach a certain point, and since it never does, it continues to run wearing down the compressor, right now you might be low on Freon, but eventually you will have to change the head. buying a whole new cooling deck only starts the problem back up, you can get one from eBay for under $500, you can also get a a/c person to come out and charge you$100/hr who knows absolutely nothing about these and eat you up for the same price, depending on where you are i would look for vending machine repair place near you, i ride out almost 40 miles each way to get mine done.

No sorry for the confusion I meant the internal temp of the vending machine was 94. So the temp sensor was reading 94 when I press the * star button. I am In NH and I have been trying to search online for a vending machine repair professional but I can’t find anything at all. I wasn’t sure if a regular refrigeration repair guy would know how to work on these ams vending machines or not. 

1 hour ago, NYCandyMan said:

this machine is outside?

covered?

these machines are not meant to be outside, the temp outside is always either too hot or too cold, the compressor keeps trying t reach a certain point, and since it never does, it continues to run wearing down the compressor, right now you might be low on Freon, but eventually you will have to change the head. buying a whole new cooling deck only starts the problem back up, you can get one from eBay for under $500, you can also get a a/c person to come out and charge you$100/hr who knows absolutely nothing about these and eat you up for the same price, depending on where you are i would look for vending machine repair place near you, i ride out almost 40 miles each way to get mine done.

So to clarify the machine is indoors^

7 hours ago, AZVendor said:

The compressor is bad.  Without having anyone around to work on it you should buy a new condensing unit from AMS and swap them yourself, but it won't be cheap.

ok thank you azvendor. I had been hoping for the AMS tech support to have a clear cut answer like you, but for some reason they weren't sure. he said it could also be the start capacitor, thermal overload, or start relay, all of which are much much cheaper than a whole new condensing unit. so I was partially tempted to try replacing those pieces first. But, if that is just an additional waste of money then it is clearly not worth it I guess

You can put a 3-in-1 hard start kit on it first to see if that fixes it in the short term.  If so then it's just a waiting game to see when it craps out again.  Sometimes it will be a good fix, sometimes it doesn't fix it at all. The key with this machine is to keep the air intake under the cabinet clean and the machine away from the wall so air can flow through properly.  Lack of air flow is the primary killer of compressors.  That and rough handling of the machine when moving it from location to location.

Edited by AZVendor

50 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

You can put a 3-in-1 hard start kit on it first to see if that fixes it in the short term.  If so then it's just a waiting game to see when it craps out again.  Sometimes it will be a good fix, sometimes it doesn't fix it at all. The key with this machine is to keep the air intake under the cabinet clean and the machine away from the wall so air can flow through properly.  Lack of air flow is the primary killer of compressors.  That and rough handling of the machine when moving it from location to location.

Thank you appreciate the help. The screens are very clean no dust, and the machine is 6 inches off of the wall. I think I may try the 3 in 1 like you said to try and save some money right now. When it comes time to replace to cooling unit, is it better to buy an entire new unit and swap them out, or get just the compressor dome only and pay a refrigeration guy to swap it out? 

That depends on the tech that you chose.  If you can trust the tech and his/her work, I would say that replacing the pump should save you some money and your unit SHOULD be good to go as long as the new pump lasts.  If you're shooting in the dark with respect to technicians, I would spend the extra and purchase a new deck.  Later, you can have the old deck repaired.  This gives you a chance to try out a tech and begin to establish a relationship without having your equipment hanging in the balance and give yourself a backup deck for the next time this comes up.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vendo Mike said:

That depends on the tech that you chose.  If you can trust the tech and his/her work, I would say that replacing the pump should save you some money and your unit SHOULD be good to go as long as the new pump lasts.  If you're shooting in the dark with respect to technicians, I would spend the extra and purchase a new deck.  Later, you can have the old deck repaired.  This gives you a chance to try out a tech and begin to establish a relationship without having your equipment hanging in the balance and give yourself a backup deck for the next time this comes up.

ok that makes sense I agree with you. Im going to try the 3 in 1 starter/capacitor/thermal overload first and see if that fixes it. if not I will look to order a complete new deck online. to swap out the entire deck, is that pretty easy / straightforward? I don't have any experience working with refrigeration systems as I am still a rookie. 

It's a golpher to get the doghouse off.  You will need to take the bottom shelf out to reach the top bolts at the back of the cabinet.  There is grey mastick around the freon lines where they exit the doghouse that is very sticky and hard to break loose as well.  If you pull the condensing unit out you will also have to remove the screws that hold the incoming power box in place in the back cabinet wall too (but I can't remember why, I just remember having to do that).  The evaporator is mounted on the right and the screws that hold it in might be rusted out.  The temp sensor is wire tied to the condenser so remove that. Then you have to access the refrigeration relay in the panel below where the shelves plug in to the cabinet.  That tall cover comes off (leave the screws loose and lift the cover off).  It's very tight down in there to remove the relay wires.  

When you put a new condensing unit in it is very difficult to get the freon lines where you want them so that the doghouse will fit over and seal around them.  It's even hard to do when you are putting the original unit back in for that matter.

You will need hand tools and long extensions, and lots of patience.  No power tools or you'll strip the threads.

15 hours ago, AZVendor said:

It's a golpher to get the doghouse off.  You will need to take the bottom shelf out to reach the top bolts at the back of the cabinet.  There is grey mastick around the freon lines where they exit the doghouse that is very sticky and hard to break loose as well.  If you pull the condensing unit out you will also have to remove the screws that hold the incoming power box in place in the back cabinet wall too (but I can't remember why, I just remember having to do that).  The evaporator is mounted on the right and the screws that hold it in might be rusted out.  The temp sensor is wire tied to the condenser so remove that. Then you have to access the refrigeration relay in the panel below where the shelves plug in to the cabinet.  That tall cover comes off (leave the screws loose and lift the cover off).  It's very tight down in there to remove the relay wires.  

When you put a new condensing unit in it is very difficult to get the freon lines where you want them so that the doghouse will fit over and seal around them.  It's even hard to do when you are putting the original unit back in for that matter.

You will need hand tools and long extensions, and lots of patience.  No power tools or you'll strip the threads.

Oh man this is sounding like a scary project to take on. But I guess I will have to give it a shot. Also for the freon lines, does that involve anything that I need to pay a refrigeration professional to do for me, or is it just something that can be done myself? thank you very much for the detailed explanation / instructions. I will try my best to follow along when I go to swap it out...