How long does candy stay good when still in the bags?

WillisNYC

I said thank you very much, but I don't know if the candy is still good.  I will be happy to take it though of course!  If nothing else I can give it to the teenage vultures that visit my house  every other weekend or so.  (Divorced with kids...long story.)  So I investigate the candy and I have Mike and Ike still in the original packaging as well as Skittles, M&M Peanuts, M&M plain and Runts.  The dates on the packages that I can find all say 10/2008.  The lady I purchased them from said that is when she bought the machines and candy from Vendstar.  (36 Vendstar 3000s, candy, 6 extra canisters, 3 sets of keys, and instruction booklet for $9,000.!)  I got ten of the machines, never used and all the extra stuff for $500.  I also have the option to get the other 20 machines she has left for $50 apiece if I want them. 

So can anyone tell me if the candy in the original packaging is still good if unopened after this long?  I tasted M&Ms that she had, had in a couple machines and put in Ziploc bags.  These M&Ms were BAD and I threw them out.  However, I don't know what Runts, Peanut M&Ms or Mike and Ike are SUPPOSED to taste like, so I don't know if they are good, even if I open them up and taste em!  (Yeah I know, some candyman I am if I don't even know what my product tastes like!  But I am learning!)

She didn't have any gum, and I did not see chiclets for sale at BJs, Costco or Sams here in NJ.  Where would you guys suggest that I buy those?  Any and all help greatly appreciated!

lurtsman, I am a relative newbie, so your acronyms have me baffled. Let me know if I have this right? Gum from Sam's club (what is db) is cheaper than gum from Quill? What is it called at Sam's because my local one had gumballs only when I went there.

Willis,

You might want to see if you have a Costco Business Center near you. It would have alot more bulk candy supplies than the normal Costco. I buy most of my gumballs and alot of candy there and the gumballs are Ford at Costco. I pay $14.98 per box of 850's. Sam's club has Double Bubble and think they are $17.98 or close.

You need to make sure your machines even have a gumball wheel? Being used Vendstars they probably have only candy wheels and won't be able to vend the standard 850 gumballs anyway.

I too have bought alot of used machines and the sellers have given me their candy supply. More often than not, I've thrown it all out for being too old.

Sam's Club will also order product for you that is not being stocked.

nam

Nam,

The units do not have the wheels to vend gumballs but I am looking for locations where I need chiclets. Thus the reason I am looking for them. How hard to get wheels for gumballs for these machines?

Willis,

Outlander has posted a very interesting thread on converting the candy wheel to vend gumballs. He has a pic on his thread and it doesn't look like it's too hard and much better than paying $19 each to Vendstar. Check through the posts for the last few days and you'll see the thread. Think JP is also trying this and gonna post a how to guide maybe.

Just hang in there for a bit and make your own by buying a few springs and cutting job.

Sam's doesn't stock Chickles in the store but you can order them. Should be able to anyway.

nam

We have been told that candy & gum should be good for about 18 months from the time it is manufactured. Once you open a bag, you should be able to store it in a zip baggie in a cool dry place. You do not want it to hot or to cold.

Hope that helps.