Single Head Stand Idea

jimmysvending

One of the negatives I see on here concerning the 'single head gumball only' model is machine theft (easier/quicker) because of size or weight. How about a custom wood stand with a slightly tall (to keep footprint small), boxy-square base that holds flexible easy-to-remove (with key) dense weight --like small sand bags? or ??  I was thinking smooth sanded edges and perhaps painted/decorated.  Also since shipping for regular stands can be expensive, hire someone local to build several at a time for a quantity discount, and use quality "scrap" wood as well perhaps.  I could do the sanding/painting.   Can this be a good idea or not worth it?  Is it better just to write off the theft and not bother considering this?  Also, I would be buying more expensive very long lasting machines if that makes a difference. I might do this with doubles too, but no more than that.  Thanks.

Edited by jimmysvending

18 minutes ago, jimmysvending said:

One of the negatives I see on here concerning the 'single head gumball only' model is machine theft (easier/quicker) because of size or weight. How about a custom wood stand with a slightly tall (to keep footprint small), boxy-square base that holds flexible easy-to-remove (with key) dense weight --like small sand bags? or ??  I was thinking smooth sanded edges and perhaps painted/decorated.  Also since shipping for regular stands can be expensive, hire someone local to build several at a time for a quantity discount, and use quality "scrap" wood as well perhaps.  I could do the sanding/painting.   Can this be a good idea or not worth it?  Is it better just to write off the theft and not bother considering this?  Also, I would be buying more expensive very long lasting machines if that makes a difference. I might do this with doubles too, but no more than that.  Thanks.

Theft happens occasionally with singles but not frequently enough to warrant going to great extremes to make the machine too heavy to move. Losing the occasional machine is just a cost of doing business. If you are really worried about losing a machine in a particular place, see if you can chain it to something else close by.

In regards to wooden stands..... If you go out to retail stores look at the bulk vending machines already in place there and you will see that virtually everyone uses metal stands. There is a reason you don't see a bunch of wooden stands out there......they're just are not as dependable as metal stands. They split, break & deteriorate much quicker than metal stands and generally aren't as stable unless they have a really wide base. Having someone build professional looking stands in quantity won't be cheap and using scrap wood will probably result in a stand that looks less than professional. The other great thing about a metal stand is that one quick shot of black glossy spray paint and it looks brand new. I would suggest paying close attention to resale sites like Next Door, Craigslist eBay or Facebook Marketplace looking for junky machines that have decent metal bases. Toss the machine and use the base. I used to search in a three hundred mile radius and if I found something I would just drive there to pick them up. One day trip.

• Like 1