A few questions

Wantrepreneur

Hello everyone, 

I started becoming interested in the bulk vending business earlier today because I saw some a lot of people in YouTube videos talking about how great of a business this was with low startup costs. After reading many threads in this forum, I can see how this may not be the best business for me to get into in this day and age because of where it may be headed. However, I do have some locations that I can definitely get some placements into so I can probably make some pocket change and even maybe turn this into kind of a hobby. 

I have read the beginner's mega thread (well not all of it yet) but still have some questions since some of the information on that thread is kind of old regarding the best machines to use etc. Sorry, beforehand, if I am asking questions that have already been answered. 

1. What are the some of the most affordable reseller websites to buy new OR used 1800s, Oaks, Northwesterns (I believe these machines are no longer being manufactured), or Vendstars in in 2022? I've found some websites on google, but I want to try to get the best deals. I would like to buy directly from the manufacturer, but I have only been able to find websites for Beaver and Rhino products. 

2. I see new Vevor brand triple head machines on Ebay selling for $200. Is Vevor a good brand in terms of reliability, availability of parts, customer support, and serviceability?

3. I can get machines into a handful of medical clinics because of connections to family and friends of family. There are multiple dozens of patients going to each of these clinics daily (not including their children). Is it worth it putting in a double head machine in these kinds of locations or should I start with a single head machine just to test the profitability? I know this depends on the type of business, but how many daily customers/employees that a business has would make for a good location for a double or triple head machine? I know there are many variables to this particular question. 

4. What are some of the healthier options that I can use in bulk vending machines besides nuts, or trail mix etc. . .

5. How easy (if at all possible) it is to convert a bulk vending machine stand to hold two heads if I initially only use it with one head? For instance, let's say that I purchase a Beaver BS215 B-27 stand that is capable of holding 2 Round Beaver series heads. Is it possible to attach only one head to the stand until I decide that I would like to add another head to the stand if the location is profitable? I know that this is probably a question that is best left for the manufacturer, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience doing this because I was wondering if any particular brand makes it easier to add heads to certain stands than another brand.

6. As someone new to this type of business, how do I know when there is a good deal on a used machine? There is a local seller on Craig's List that is selling a Vendstar 3000 triple head machine for $40. The machine is supposedly in good working order except that all 3 Lock cylinders need to be replaced. I read in one of the threads that used Vendstar's are cheaper machines that can be purchased from $20-$50. This thread was a few years old so I have no idea of this would be a good deal right now or not considering the costs of lock cylinders. 

7. Is it possible to change the amount of product that a customer can buy with each purchase? For instance, can I sell ten pieces of candy for $0.25 and then dial it back to five pieces if I chose to do so? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there was a dial that allowed you to do this. Is the amount of product you can sell per transaction fixed?

Thanks to anyone who can help

1. What are the some of the most affordable reseller websites to buy new OR used 1800s, Oaks, Northwesterns (I believe these machines are no longer being manufactured), or Vendstars in in 2022? I've found some websites on google, but I want to try to get the best deals. I would like to buy directly from the manufacturer, but I have only been able to find websites for Beaver and Rhino products.  

I wouldn't go with 1800's or vendstars they break easily IMO. Oak, Northwestern, eagle, and beaver are all very reliable. when you are starting. I recommend buying used you can get some good deals on great machines. I sell a lot of oak vistas in singles and doubles if you are interested.

2. I see new Vevor brand triple head machines on Ebay selling for $200. Is Vevor a good brand in terms of reliability, availability of parts, customer support, and serviceability?

I haven't used these machines before but they look ok. i would find someone who has used them and knows if they are good in the long haul before buying.

3. I can get machines into a handful of medical clinics because of connections to family and friends of family. There are multiple dozens of patients going to each of these clinics daily (not including their children). Is it worth it putting in a double head machine in these kinds of locations or should I start with a single head machine just to test the profitability? I know this depends on the type of business, but how many daily customers/employees that a business has would make for a good location for a double or triple head machine? I know there are many variables to this particular question. 

Everyone has their own way but I usually just go for a double head if they let me .

5. How easy (if at all possible) it is to convert a bulk vending machine stand to hold two heads if I initially only use it with one head? For instance, let's say that I purchase a Beaver BS215 B-27 stand that is capable of holding 2 Round Beaver series heads. Is it possible to attach only one head to the stand until I decide that I would like to add another head to the stand if the location is profitable? I know that this is probably a question that is best left for the manufacturer, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience doing this because I was wondering if any particular brand makes it easier to add heads to certain stands than another brand.

The ones I have are very easy but some are pain. just do some research on the ones you are getting before you buy.

6. As someone new to this type of business, how do I know when there is a good deal on a used machine? There is a local seller on Craig's List that is selling a Vendstar 3000 triple head machine for $40. The machine is supposedly in good working order except that all 3 Lock cylinders need to be replaced. I read in one of the threads that used Vendstar's are cheaper machines that can be purchased from $20-$50. This thread was a few years old so I have no idea of this would be a good deal right now or not considering the costs of lock cylinders. 

this is a hard one some people on here want to only but for a really good deal. and I don't blame them I do to. but that doesn't make the machines only worth that price. that being said vendstars  usually have plastic mechs and once they start breaking might as well throw it away because the new mechs cost more then the machines,

7. Is it possible to change the amount of product that a customer can buy with each purchase? For instance, can I sell ten pieces of candy for $0.25 and then dial it back to five pieces if I chose to do so? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that there was a dial that allowed you to do this. Is the amount of product you can sell per transaction fixed?

all machines I have used the opening where the candy goes on the wheel is adjustable you make it smaller it vends less candy. I'm sure not all do that but most do.

Gumballs will be the most profitable always try to vend those.

The questions you are asking are very commonly repeated.

1. You won't get deals and buy direct from the manufacturer. Beaver is like a mercedes. Vendstars are like a yugo.

2. no

3. probably not. if they were there would be bulk already there. Are there proper candy/soda machines at these facilities?

4. no

5. just buy a bunch of double setups and a few singles. You will need to move them around to figure it out.

6. you need to decide what machine(s) you want to operate and just get used to buying them on the 2nd hand market. Understand what the valuable parts are and you will get a second nature for buying used.

7. yes

28 minutes ago, RoadDogAmusements said:

3. probably not. if they were there would be bulk already there. Are there proper candy/soda machines at these facilities?

None of these locations have any candy/soda machines for the patients. Most likely because they are small/medium sized practices and the waiting rooms are not very large. A full size machine would most likely take too much space. However, I have never really looked at their waiting rooms from the perspective of vending to see if it could be reorganized to fit a candy/soda machine without losing any space for patient chairs. These practices also have about six-ten employees each and actually do have space in the break rooms but I am not sure if that amount of employees would be enough to make installing a candy/soda machine at those locations worth while. 

12 hours ago, Wantrepreneur said:

Hello everyone, 

I started becoming interested in the bulk vending business earlier today because I saw some a lot of people in YouTube videos talking about how great of a business this was with low startup costs. After reading many threads in this forum, I can see how this may not be the best business for me to get into in this day and age because of where it may be headed. However, I do have some locations that I can definitely get some placements into so I can probably make some pocket change and even maybe turn this into kind of a hobby. 

I have read the beginner's mega thread (well not all of it yet) but still have some questions since some of the information on that thread is kind of old regarding the best machines to use etc. Sorry, beforehand, if I am asking questions that have already been answered. 

4. What are some of the healthier options that I can use in bulk vending machines besides nuts, or trail mix etc. . .

Thanks to anyone who can help

1. Craigslist, Next Door, eBay, Facebook Market Place. You just need to be vigilant and be ready to go when deals come available. There is a member her who has a website https://www.gumballstuff.com/oak-eagle/  and tells a ton of used machines on eBay as well. I think Eagle Manufacturing still sells new but it is always cheaper to buy used. 

2. Never used them so I have no opinion.

3. I am in hospitals, optometry businesses, and professional buildings. It is hit and miss so you really don't know until you try it. All it takes is one or two candy junkies to get some decent sales. I generally will try about anywhere even if I think it may not do well.

4. No one wants healthy choices and if a location requires it then leave. Candy sells, healthy does not. I do not vend peanuts anymore. They stale out very quickly, their oil makes the machine look unsavory and the salt is corrosive to the metal parts in the machine. Cashews are too expensive and have the similar problems as peanuts.

5. I have never used Beaver machines. Great reputation but expensive.

6. I have inherited tons of Vendstars over the years from existing routes that I have purchased. They are ugly, the chute doors all break off eventually, and the canister comes apart over time. That said, I have made a lot of money using them. They are great for industrial or dirty locations where aesthetics are not a concern. I personally wouldn't pay more than $25.00 for one in mint condition today.  Honestly it is in your best interest, as someone stated above, to buy one type of machine an stick with it. Much easier swapping out parts etc... .  

7. Yes. Most machines have an adjustable slide on their candy wheels to meter out specific amounts of product. Most gumball machines are set up for 1" gumballs/toy capsules. To vend candy you need a candy wheel. To vend gumballs you need a gumball wheel.