Moving machines

Those are what we call piano dollies but with the fulcrum for lifting so high up on the frame you wouldn't get the weight of a machine off the ground by hand.  I used the wood ones that had a foot lever at ground level so all you did was step on the lever to lift the machine up.  It wasn't really that simple though because once one side is up the other side is harder to get up due to the shift in center of gravity by the first lifted side.  They work well, especially in tight doorways and elevators and you can even clamshell with them though someone needs to control the swinging door while doing so.  You do have to run straps around the cabinet low and high or the dollies slide out from under the machine.  Again, these won't work for vending machines. You can try to find some Anderson Dollies that were a bit of an improvement on what I used which was Roll 'n Carry.

Edited by AZVendor
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

Those are what we call piano dollies but with the fulcrum for lifting so high up on the frame you wouldn't get the weight of a machine off the ground by hand.  I used the wood ones that had a foot lever at ground level so all you did was step on the lever to lift the machine up.  It wasn't really that simple though because once one side is up the other side is harder to get up due to the shift in center of gravity by the first lifted side.  They work well, especially in tight doorways and elevators and you can even clamshell with them though someone needs to control the swinging door while doing so.  You do have to run straps around the cabinet low and high or the dollies slide out from under the machine.  Again, these won't work for vending machines. You can try to find some Anderson Dollies that were a bit of an improvement on what I used which was Roll 'n Carry.

THANKS AGAIN AZ!  Appreciate the help from wasting time and money to find out they won't work.  I'll keep my eye open for more options and post them before I buy if you don't mind having a look.

Not in dire need for moving dollies, as I got a guy, but it would be nice to move machines on my schedule.

• 7 months later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:14 AM, AZVendor said:

AZ, here's another set for sale on auction....  Would these be sufficient for moving machines.

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/47611/item/53?offset=53

Ditto to AZ, I have a set like these, heavy golphers, and I use them with the longest ratchet straps I have.  Only use them now when I need to clamshell usually.  

I have a Stevens dolly as well, but I have gotten to the point where my short and narrow pallet jack does 90% of my moves.  If I could only have one tool, it would be the pallet jack. 

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1366

• Like 1

I had to move a machine after a remodel recently.  I just threw my narrow pallet jack in the van and headed out later that day.  I had to clamshell but someone helped me thankfully otherwise it may have not been possible.  I don't mind moving machines around occasionally but count me out of installs/uninstalls!!

• Like 1

They're generally pretty easy with some muscle work.  I will say though that I rarely go to the chiropractor now that I don't move machines. That was not good for my slight frame but I still enjoyed it mostly.  However I also got paid for it. Some of the more difficult moving was when I simply put DN440s, DN600s, V475s and CB700s on 4x4s in the warehouse. There was a lot of straining and grunting to stand them back up. The easiest moves were snack machines on pallet jacks/flat dollies and the best balanced machine ever that would never tip over was the AP 320 that was perfectly balanced on a flat dolly.

• Like 1