Help with Dixie Narco 501e

AkVend

Hello all.  Hoping someone can help me out here. I have an old DN 501E/600E that was foisted upon me when my father in law passed a few months ago.  The selector buttons were old and unreadable so I replaced the buttons.  Looks great but I screwed something up in the process because now if I push selection 1, it will vend just about anything but what is loaded in selection 1, while the lower buttons dont work at all.  In service mode it gives the error code SS 1, 2, 3...all the way to 8 (it has 9 columns).  At first I thought I put the selector membrane in incorrectly, but I've tried every way it will fit with same problem.  Did I damage the selector membrane thing or am I just an idiot that can't figure out how this thing goes back in? Any ideas? 

"SS" is stuck switch. You may have installed the gray rubber pieces wrong, or they may be brittle and need replacing. It's also possible the membrane itself has failed, which is not unusual. You can try removing the membrane, leave it plugged in and see if it works. Luckily, the membrane is not very expensive. ($20)

https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-1889-d80491285071-dn-501e-9-selection-membrane.aspx