Vendo VDI 800 power problem

marwood

Just gonna put this here as I gave up on it today 😉
Vendo VDI 800, turn the power on and the only things that work are the coin mech and the little motor for the coin return.
No lights, no display, no refrigeration etc...
Fuse is ok, can't smell anything burnt, wiring harnesses all look good.
There's a panel with 2 fans at the back/top of the machine (behind the top tray), the fans don't turn but there's a little motor positioned in-between the fans that sometimes constantly turns when you power up, or doesn't turn at all.
I'm thinking a fried board, or it's very confused, maybe RAM problem?

If the coin mech accepts money then the board is functioning to a point.  That's not to say there are no bad circuits but if it's enabling MDB, that's a good start.  Does your display work? Any errors?   Can you confirm that your door switch is functioning and secured connection to the board?    In most cases, an open door switch will prevent lighting and environmental controls. 

Thanks Mike.
I bridged the door switch wires to confirm the switch is ok, made no difference. Also checked all connections to the main board and to the other little board underneath the main board, all seem fine.
There's no display at all...

It's a European machine built by our sister company SVE.  I don't know the machine either but was just sharing some basic troubleshooting. 

Do you have any others that you can use to test your display and other components on?   Since you by-passed the door switch and had no change, you might consider checking continuity from pin to pin at the board to confirm that your door switch harness is complete.  If so, rule that out.   

I'm also curious if there is a card reader on this machine.  Some of our machines display goes blank when the telemeter is in a DEX process.   If the dex harness goes open, it will get stuck in a loop and you'll have no display.  Generally removing the dex harness from the board brings the display back to life.

You might consider powering the machine down, disconnecting everything but power, display and selection harness from the board.  Power up and see if you have a display. If so, power  off and start reconnecting circuits until you lose the display again.  If not, the board and/or display will need to be tested, repaired or replaced.

Thanks and good idea, I'll try connecting the peripherals 1 by 1 to see if there's a change.
We have a couple others of the same model, the display on the others always says something no matter what you do.
I'm not sure if the others are in a handy location to swap things over, I'll have to do some planning for that.
No card reader.
Is a VDI machine in Europe the same as an SVE machine in US? I couldn't (quickly) find a manual for it online.

We don't build any snacks/combo machines at this time.  We are offering a portion of the SVE G-Snack line in the U.S.  I don't know the VDI machine so I cannot speak to that with any confidence.  Your best chance at a manual would be through SVE's website though.  That's assuming it wasn't an imported Asian machine in the first place.  Again, I'm not familiar with that line.

No worries, thanks. It has a sticker on the inside that says it's year 2006, and it's a snack machine, I forgot to mention that.
I don't think it's an import, it has Vendo parts/stickers all over it.
I'll mail SVE for a manual, there site only shows newer machines I think.
I just looked and it does look alot like the G-snack budget, just a different door lock and the door hinges are on the other side.