Dixie Narco 600t cooling issue.

drednour

I recently acquired a Dixie Narco 600t from work.  The guys at work said the machine worked roughly 6-7 years ago and then it was set aside and forgotten about.

I plugged it in at work before I brought it home to make sure it worked.  I let it run for approximately 4 hours and everything seemed to work.  I loaded up some sodas, they cooled, and they dispensed.

I brought the machine home (standing up, never laid down).  I plugged it in and let it run for a few hours before checking on it.  It was cooling perfectly.  So I loaded some sodas into it.  Fast forward 2 days, I go out to get a soda and they are warm!

When I plug it in, I can hear the fan kick on and the compressor start running, but it just blows warm air.

looking for some ideas as to what it may be?  Low on refrigerant, bad cooling deck, bad T-stat?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  Please let me know what other info I can provide.6575D164-DBD3-4575-BA57-EE46FF27EF08.thumb.jpeg.d9716798ec2509510bc866179c561e14.jpeg

If the compressor clicks on and then back off very shortly after, or immediately, you need a new compressor.  The thermostat may be installed upside down though it won't affect the compressor failing.  Turn it CCW to off and mark that spot.  Then it should be set to 3 1/2 from that spot.

3 minutes ago, drednour said:

From what I have found, a new deck with run me upwards of $500.

Yes.. and around here, that's close to what it will cost for me to have someone work on a unit.  You might find something cheaper in your area, but that's the rate I pay.

If the low side is at 30 psi that’s where it should be.  You said that the compressor runs but doesn’t cut off.  Are you certain that it’s the compressor running and not the condenser fan?  If the compressor is running it will get hot. 

I’m not sure about the high or low.

When I turn the thermostat off, the fan stays running and the compressor turns off (99% sure on this).  Then when I tuen the thermostat on, the compressor kicks on (again 99% sure).  I left the machine running for about 24 hours.  The compressor was warm but not hot.  The fan was just blowing room temp air around inside.  

I have a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy (haha!!) that has worked on machines before.  He has offered to come vacuum it out and recharge it.  So I will see what that does.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I finally got around to messing with the machine.  When I turn the thermostat off, the only fan that runs is the condenser fan.

when I turn the thermostat on, the compressor fan comes on but I don’t think the compressor kicks on.  I will leave it run for a little while to see if the compressor gets hot or anything.

where should I go from here? 

2 hours ago, drednour said:

Ok so I finally got around to messing with the machine.  When I turn the thermostat off, the only fan that runs is the condenser fan.

when I turn the thermostat on, the compressor fan comes on but I don’t think the compressor kicks on.  I will leave it run for a little while to see if the compressor gets hot or anything.

where should I go from here? 

Firstly, the fan below (the one you call the "compressor fan") is the condenser fan.  The fan(s) above (closest to beverages) is the evaporator fan.  The evaporator fan runs all the time as long as it has power.  The condenser fan only comes on when the thermostat tells it and the compressor to come on.  So if it's running, then the thermostat is telling the compressor to run.  If the compressor is not pretty warm/hot to the touch after a while, then you know it's not running.  If it's pretty warm or very hot, then it's running.

If it has been running but it's warm in the cabinet, then you are either low on refrigerant or you have a restriction.  If it won't come on at all or it clicks/flickers every 10-20 seconds or so, then the compressor is bad, but you might be able to give it one last chance with a hard start kit.  Replacing the refrigeration system entirely should resolve everything but it will cost you $500+ for a new system.

Sorry for the wrong terminology.  The evaporator fan runs all the time.  The condenser fan kicks on when the thermostat is turned on.  I had the machine running for about an hour and the compressor was still cool to the touch and did not sound like it was running.  

Do you have a link or suggestion on which hard start kit to purchase?  I would like to try the cheaper options before purchasing a new deck.

thank you for all the help so far.

You can search this at Amazon.  Very easy to install. If this does not start the unit...replace it--

RCO410 3 in 1 Compressor Hard Start Capacitor Kit for Refrigerators & Freezers 1/4-1/3 H.P. 115VAC

I started looking around the compressor to familiarize myself with it.  I opened the cover on the right side and immediately noticed a burnt wire.  Could this be the source of my problem?  Can I rewire and reconnect that or can this part be replaced?

C1EF07C9-D315-4777-9550-85BFD0E281FB.jpeg

C3B9FCFD-F599-4181-A02F-5BC24846EF84.jpeg

73DA9D76-2CB4-45FA-BE71-893FF05CC9CA.jpeg

I have the 3n1 kit on order.  Should be here on Monday.

On another note, we also have a DN 440 (8 selection Pepsi machine) here at the shop that I might start tinkering on too. The wife might kill me though if I bring another one home haha.

I got the 3n1 kit installed and everything seems to be working ok.  I let it run for about 30 minutes and the inside got cool and the compressor seemed to cycle on and off just fine.

Thank you everyone for the help.

The 440 at the shop has a cooling issue as well.  The compressor comes on, gets warm/hot but doesn’t cool.  From the previous comments I’m guessing it’s low on refrigerant.