Rescued one of my failed Nayax Amit's Tonight - Since Nayax is No help...

tblake05

Start off, I am no expert by any means.  I am educated in electronics to the point of a year in high school and anything I've learned beyond that is self taught.  Please don't hate on me for my terrible soldering skills.  I am great at soldering old school through hole components.  Surface mount, not so much.

Anyway, I had an amit that stopped working.  Blank screen.  Like all of them, it was just out of warranty, and nayax no longer offers the refurbished amits, or any amits for that matter.  this is now the 3rd unit of mine that failed the exact same way.  The first two I just replaced with refurbished units.

Putting it on the bench I found the main voltage regulator blown, shorted.  So I replaced it with a suitable digikey replacement.  New one blew also... immediately.  Taking it a step further.  Something on the circuit was shorted causing the secondary side of the voltage regulator to short.  I should have checked it first.  My inexperience.  But 5 voltage regulators was less than 5.00 shipped.

Amit's as you can guess are full of a bunch of china made components plus there isn't a single schematic I could find of them neither from Nayax, or their apparent maker, castle technologies.  Emailing to either of them was pointless.

Fast forward to a week ago.  I was offered a generous lot of old 3g amits from Phil (southeast treats)  Phil said some might work.  Either way, Nayax wouldn't transfer them to my account due to being 3g only.

Tonight.  I opened my amit again and found the source for the short on the secondary side of the voltage regulator.  Would you believe it was a tiny little capacitor?  Lucky for me, since there was no visible markings, I just used one from one of Phil's amits.  Funny note, His donar Amit failed in the exact same way.  Burned open main fuse due to voltage regulator shorted on the secondary side circuit.  Using my multimeter I found Phil's had a dead shorted diode.  (so this one I could fix as well, but it is only 3g)  So desolder the capacitor I need and solder it on my amit.  Replaced the voltage regulator again.  And fired it up!

Of course it wont connect without a proper antenna and I'm afraid to just try any old one I have laying around.  From what I understand using the wrong antenna can damage them as well.

Anyway, I'm due on location tuesday.  I'll reinstall it and only time will tell....

Thanks again Phil!!!

Now I have to figure out why another one of mine keeps saying "network reg flr".  I have a ticket in with Nayax but its been over a week.  Thanks a lot!

I know you'll all be saying.  "what a waste of time, just upgrade to touch".  Well, we are super close from paying all our equipment off.  Plus cost of everything is going up.  This amits location Rarely uses credit cards so I just use the metrics for prekitting.  it's a solid cash account.  Now it will save me a trip out there every week.  Just doesn't pay to upgrade.

Putting this out there.... If anyone has any spare Amit's they aren't using that are 4g, I feel I may have to swap over my other location.  Let me know what you want for it and if it can be transferred to my account.

Thanks!!

~Tim

My Amit. New parts installed..

IMG-6043.jpg

Phil's Donar amit.  Notice the blown fuse-f2 towards the top, the voltage regulator to the left of it.  Plus the shorted diode to the left of that.  Directly below that, to the right of the hole, is the capacitor I removed.

IMG-6044.jpg

Old parts removed.  How can one little capacitor cause so much trouble?

IMG-6045.jpg

And lastly, running on the bench off of an old mcb12 board I had laying around.

IMG-6046.jpg

IMG-6047.jpg

Edited by tblake05
  • Like 1