Coastal double play crane

bills

Hello...I have a coastal double play crane with a problem. The digital display is out and the bridge does not move when turned on. The power supply is working and I checked both claw coil cables and harnesses for broken wires but found none. Also, the claw closes momentarily when the machine is turned off. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you...

Did you try checking all the fuses? If you're certain the power supply is working and all fuses, wiring, and connections to the board are otherwise functional and complete, it may be a component on the main board giving you an issue.

8 hours ago, Gs Vending said:

Did you try checking all the fuses? If you're certain the power supply is working and all fuses, wiring, and connections to the board are otherwise functional and complete, it may be a component on the main board giving you an issue.

Thank you for your reply...Yes, I did check the power supply, fuses, wiring and connections. I agree, its probably a failed component on the main board which is no picnic to troubleshoot.

Does the crane let you coin up? Is there any sound? If there is nothing on the display I am guessing that the board is not running. Check voltages on the PCB. Could be lots of things that could cause it to not work... power, bad rom, broken traces, bad capacitors, battery damage. Odd that the claw closes on shutdown.

Thank you for the reply. No, it does not coin up. I checked all the caps, diodes and I swapped the Eprom with one from another Coastal board and it still does not work. The board is in good shape with no broken traces. This one has me puzzled.

I don't know how much experience you have with debugging computers, but I would start with the 3 big ones... CPU, RAM, and ROM. You said you did swap ROM from another known working board... that is good. Did you happen to check voltage at the chip? I would see if you can detect any activity on the ADDRESS and DATA lines. As for the CPU again check power at the chip. Check the RESET pin to see if it's toggling. Check CLOCK signal to see if the crystal is working and giving the right frequency. Check A and D lines to see if there is activity. RAM is less likely to bring down the game completely but it's possible.

Thanks again for the reply and info. Yes, I do have some computer experience and will try your suggestions. I called Coastal but they suggested sending the board in for repair at a cost of $300+. I'll let you know how I make out.