Rainbow Crane Error code 25

jayske

Hello Everyone

This is my first post on this forum.  I have a general working knowledge of electronics from my other hobby of restoring antique tube radios.

I picked up a Rainbow Crane Claw machine which I plan to use in my school for fund raising.  I got a decent deal on a 42" machine and have done some work on it.  Right now I have all interior lights working, coin mechanism accepts $1 and $2 Canadian coins well.  The bill validator works but only for a previous generation of Canadian currency.  It has a ticket roll which seems to work.  I have played around with limit switches to the point where the claw works and returns to home properly.

After successfully playing a game I get an error code of 2.5 or 25 in the upper window.  I only have an abbreviated manual for the machine that I found online.  It does not list 2.5 or 25 as a code. 

Does anyone know what this code means, Thanks 

Edited by jayske

Thanks for the response.

When I first power up the machine the claw will move slightly away from home position.  The claw will move down an inch or two and then come back up and the gantry returns it to home position properly.  I can then add the appropriate credits and successfully play a game having the claw return to home position again.

It is now when this error code of 25 comes up.  If it were limit switches wouldn't the error code come up the first time rather than after playing a game?

11 hours ago, jayske said:

Thanks for the response.

When I first power up the machine the claw will move slightly away from home position.  The claw will move down an inch or two and then come back up and the gantry returns it to home position properly.  I can then add the appropriate credits and successfully play a game having the claw return to home position again.

It is now when this error code of 25 comes up.  If it were limit switches wouldn't the error code come up the first time rather than after playing a game?

You are correct......the error codes should come up at start up. The manual also shows codes for various switch failures but I have seen incorrect codes listed in other crane manuals before. Just curious.....does the claw return to the exact same home location that it was in prior to game play? If not make sure the bars on the carriage are straight Also, when it returns to the home position, does the motor stop or does they keep trying to turn even though it has reached the home position? It really sounds like the switch isn't detecting that the claw has returned to the home position but as you stated earlier, it should give an error code at start up if that was the case.

The claw does return to the exact same position as the initial startup with the carriage motor coming to a complete stop.  Both upper and lower windows read 00 for about 5 seconds and then the 2.5 code appears.  The machine must be reset to start again.

I have metered all of the limit switches for both the carriage and the joystick controllers and they are all working well.  

When it is going to home position it moves all the way to the left and front hitting their limit switches and the claw is fully up.  It then moves perhaps an inch to the right stops and this appears to be home.  This means that the claw and front limit switches are closed but the left limit switch is not.  No limit switch codes appear.

The only other piece of information I have is that the fellow that I bought it from said that he broke the string and replaced it.  It matches the restring diagram in the manual but I don't know if it is the right length of string.

1 hour ago, jayske said:

The claw does return to the exact same position as the initial startup with the carriage motor coming to a complete stop.  Both upper and lower windows read 00 for about 5 seconds and then the 2.5 code appears.  The machine must be reset to start again.

I have metered all of the limit switches for both the carriage and the joystick controllers and they are all working well.  

When it is going to home position it moves all the way to the left and front hitting their limit switches and the claw is fully up.  It then moves perhaps an inch to the right stops and this appears to be home.  This means that the claw and front limit switches are closed but the left limit switch is not.  No limit switch codes appear.

The only other piece of information I have is that the fellow that I bought it from said that he broke the string and replaced it.  It matches the restring diagram in the manual but I don't know if it is the right length of string.

Generally, if there is a string length issue, it will appear when the claw is dropped during game play or during the start up via binding. I have never used a ticket dispenser but I wonder if there is an issue there since this error is happening at the end of the game play cycle when tickets are generally metered out. Is it out of tickets? Is there a dip setting that needs to be changed for it to be used or not be used? Maybe disconnect it and see if it changes anything. A quick once over through the manual you posted a link to only listed the ticket dispenser as an option but did not list any operational error codes for it that I saw. Just a shot in the dark but maybe worth looking at.

It is funny you say that about the ticket dispenser.  After the first game is successfully completed and the crane returns to home there is about a 5 seconds lag time until I hear the rollers of the ticket dispenser move.  At the same time is when the system goes to the error 25 code.

I disconnected the empty ticket dispenser to see if that would make a difference but it did not; I also tried the same thing with the bill validator  and coin acceptor and then all 3 at the same time but to no avail.

The ticket dispenser looks to be a retrofit.  The fact that the pulse going to the dispenser also happens at the same time as the error code even though it is not the actual ticket dispenser might mean that the fault lies upstream from the unit.  Should I then trace the wires back to the board to see if it something there?  Or could there be a required feedback loop from the dispensing unit itself to be able to start the next game?

Sorry for so many questions.  It is like a giant game of electrical whac-a-mole

I wish I had a silver bullet answer but unfortunately I don't. I think we may be on the right track looking into the ticket dispenser though. I wonder if it has a sensor that detects whether the ticket dispenser is empty and disables the game? This maybe dip switch controlled device so disconnecting it may not stop the error. I would indeed trace the wires back to the board to see where it hooks in and make sure it looks solid. I would think there would be a dip setting that enables/disables the ticket dispenser and that may be where the ticket dispenser needs to be disabled. There also should be a way to program the ticket dispenser as to when and how many tickets to give out at the end of each play cycle. It sounds like the ticket motor is cycling regardless of a prize being won or not so it maybe programmed to give a ticket each play or it may also be tied in to the prize detection system in the chute. Does your game have the same dip switch set up as the manual you posted a link to? If so, the ticket dispenser maybe operated through one of the reserved/unassigned switches. I agree with testing the machine with the coin mech and DBA disconnected because those can occasionally be fault points. Again, sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you. Sometimes it just take some trial and error to figure out the culprit.

I found about 8 tickets and loaded them into the dispenser; now everything works fine!

Problem solved.  I will have to find where it attached to the board to disconnect it there.

Just have to do some cosmetic work on it and will will post a pic when done.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by jayske
addition

33 minutes ago, jayske said:

I found about 8 tickets and loaded them into the dispenser; now everything works fine!

Problem solved.  I will have to find where it attached to the board to disconnect it there.

Just have to do some cosmetic work on it and will will post a pic when done.

Thanks for the help.

Great to hear! I look forward to seeing the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jayske said:

All finished; as promised here is a pic of it.  Gave it the ice cream parlor treatment.  Thanks again

clawmachine.jpg

Looks great!!! Thanks for sharing the picture and good luck with the fundraising.