Northwestern model 60 questions

Greg F

I picked this machine up yesterday and I just don't know a whole lot about it. It is a one cent machine with the glass globe. I guess some of the questions that I have are what is its age approximately also if it needs to be repainted what shade of red paint should I use and what manufacturer? I would like to keep it as original as possible but as you can see in one of the pictures there is some overspray where I think somebody has repainted it before.  One last thing where is a good online site to purchase anything that I may need for this older machine? 

rsz_120221127_191323.jpg

rsz_20221127_191316.jpg

rsz_20221128_083411 (1).jpg

hard to say how old it is the penny mech makes me think it is  a little older but they made them the same for so long i dont know. if i am missing parts i usually buy from gumballstuff.com he has good prices usually. i bought a similar machine a few days ago at a yardsale with stand for $5

11112222.jpg

8 hours ago, Greg F said:

I picked this machine up yesterday and I just don't know a whole lot about it. It is a one cent machine with the glass globe. I guess some of the questions that I have are what is its age approximately also if it needs to be repainted what shade of red paint should I use and what manufacturer? I would like to keep it as original as possible but as you can see in one of the pictures there is some overspray where I think somebody has repainted it before.  One last thing where is a good online site to purchase anything that I may need for this older machine? 

rsz_120221127_191323.jpg

rsz_20221127_191316.jpg

That is indeed a Northwestern Model 60. It was probably manufactured in the 60s or even the 70s. Maybe in the very late 50s as well but I doubt it. I actually have a multi state competitor that still runs thousands of these machines (most have plastic globes now and all use 25 cent coin mechs) so that speaks to their quality. I actually sold a couple of these (they were doubles with the stands) in the last year for $85.00 each. They had 25 cent mechs as well and were in similar condition to yours. Took about 7 months on Craigslist to move them.

I agree with Singod that Gumballstuff.com is your best bet for parts and you can also just search places like eBay as well.

https://www.gumballstuff.com/northwestern/

https://www.gumballstuff.com/machines/northwestern/

The owner Steve is a member and is a good guy. You could probably reach out to him about the original paint as well because I was never able to find out. About 15 years ago I had picked up a bunch of used Northwestern equipment from a retiring vendor. I had always painted my equipment with spray paint because for bulk route equipment it is the practical choice in regards to cost and time. I thought I would ask the manufacturer for the paint info just to see how expensive it would be to get the same paint they used. I called Northwestern Corp and talked to the sales lady that I would occasionally buy parts from. I told her I was rehabbing a bunch of equipment and asked her what kind of paint (color and brand) they used to paint the new machines and she told me that it was company policy not give that info out under any circumstances. Special recipe I guess. I have used Rustoleum Safety Red spray paint for years. It's durable and looks good. I would bet if you are wanting it for a display piece you can find a professional company to make it look really nice. I have bought the Mylar stickers from him in the past as well.

rsz_20221129_113956.thumb.jpg.8f8ccec817af1dd6f542b7f6b6f3683d.jpgThanks for all the input. I called a local powder coating company this morning.  They wanted a $175 to sandblast and put on some Powder coat . It's probably gonna get the same paint that I used on these 2 eagles that I just restored. 

Edited by Greg F

4 hours ago, Greg F said:

rsz_20221129_113956.thumb.jpg.8f8ccec817af1dd6f542b7f6b6f3683d.jpgThanks for all the input. I called a local powder coating company this morning.  They wanted a $175 to sandblast and put on some Powder coat . It's probably gonna get the same paint that I used on these 2 eagles that I just restored. 

Unfortunately the price for prep and powder coat is pretty salty. Very nice work on the Eagles. I'm sure the Northwestern will look great if you follow the same process. I will say this......painting a Northwestern is a bit more labor intensive than painting Eagles or Oaks. The recesses and the Mylar on the front can be tricky. It's much easier when you pull off the old Mylar, paint it then replace with new Mylar. You can also forgo the Mylar altogether and just leave the front as a painted surface. Good luck with the project.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2022 at 11:20 AM, Greg F said:

rsz_120221127_191323.jpg

rsz_20221127_191316.jpg

Break down the whole machine. take the lock insert out of the lid. pull the mech, chute and mylars off. lightly sand the four painted parts and repaint. I use Banner Red. I think its a Rustoleum paint. The mech and thank you plate will clean up nice with a tooth brush and window cleaner. Tougher grime you can use a wire brush. Mylars can be found at aaglobal.com they come in Gold and Silver. I always like the gold better. 

Once its all painted and reassembled will look like brand new.  

Mike