Newbie with a location, but no machine

Storm Vendors

Happy New Year's to everyone! My name's Jon and I'm starting a new vending machine business. My apartment has allowed me to place a vending machine in their main lobby, but the issue I'm having is actually finding a vending machine to place. I can't find many machines online (I live in Nebraska near the NE/IA border), and those that I do I can't get responses from. I contacted local vendors and their prices are very high. So I have a couple questions if anyone has advice:

Where can I go to find good-priced used or refurbished vending machines? I've tried OfferUp, UsedVending, ebay, and facebook marketplace. What is the price range I should be looking for these days? 

I was thinking of going the combo route to save money and space (like the futura combo machine or the crane 472); does this make sense, or is it usually better to get a soda and a snack machine separately? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help! I found this site from the Happy Vending youtube channel and am excited to get involved with a group excited about vending. 

Happy Vending. ha ha ha.  Misrepresents everything.  Leading you here is the only good thing about youtube.  You just need to keep your eyes open for a used soda machine.  Don't forget Craigslist.  Don't do any snacks as you can't manage stales until you can place at least 5 machines.  Any machine in an apartment complex is subject to vandalism or, in your case, poor sales because it's in the office that's closed 12 hours a day or more.  When you find a possible machine then post a link to it so we can tell you if it's worthwhile or not.  Look for decent looking Dixie Narco machines.  When you say local vendors ask too much money, you need to tell us how much and what it was for.

• Like 1

AZVendor, 

Thanks for the response! I'll have to give Craigslist a whirl. 

The machine is for tenants, the whole complex is rectangular so everyone has access to the lobby area. I'm looking right now at a 2014 Seaga Naturals2go for $2,900 (but I've heard Seaga is possibly a bad brand) through UsedVending, and a Selectivend brand combo machine via Sam's Club, which range from $3,500-$4,500. 

The local vendor was offering the Crane 471 and 472 for about $9,000, or AMS combos for about $7,500, which seam really high, and an AMS 39" Fresh Healthy Combo for $4,495. An additional $600 for a Nayax card reader, $10/mo and 5.95% transaction fee. 

I'll probably have to make a decision before the end of next week before I potentially lose my location, but I haven't really found a machine that has seemed really promising, though my lack of experience is probably not helping. 

Thanks for the help, and hope everyone's enjoying 2023!

Stay away from Seaga for sure and again, don't do any combos.  If you must do snacks then do separate soda and snack machines.  You can call Vendors Exchange in Cleveland and get pricing on rebuilt used machines.  Those prices you got, if for use machines, is ridiculous.  For $4495 you should be able to get two good machines plus freight.  A DN501E and an AP 6600 would be good, but again, I recommend you only start with soda.

Hey AZ Vendor, 

Any insight as to why Combos should be avoided? My first machine was a narrow combo model that I needed for a laundromat. Business didn't have the space for two machines. Sales are doing ok there. 

A stack vendor can hold 300-500 cans.  An AMS combo WITH 6 shelves can hold 144(default is 5 shelves). 
If utilizing snack and soda machines you can collect more money in between fills as opposed to a combo where they drank all the coke and only ate a few bags of chips.  

Thanks everyone for the responses! I just sent an email to Vendors Exchange. I guess I've been looking at the wrong machines because until you gave me those model #'s everything I was seeing was above $3,000 per machine.

I'm going to at least start with two machines because the complex requested soda and snack, but if one of them doesn't get used frequently enough I'll look for another location Thanks for steering me clear of the Seaga, I had heard from another source that they're not a good brand but glad to get some confirmation. Thanks also to Gizmo Vending for the example on why a combo is a worse option. 

You all have already been extremely helpful, just wanted to say thanks to everyone!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy everyone! Just thought I'd share an update. I haven't been able to consistent responses from Vendors Exchange, but have found a soda machine (Evoke series 10 vending machine, not the elite series) for $1,200. I believe it's from selectivend. I'm still looking for a snack machine but I believe that this is the soda machine I'm going to go with. I had the seller test each slot. 

I'm excited to put an offer on this machine and start taking my first real step in the vending business. If you all have any more advice I'd of course appreciate it. Thanks already for the advice and support I've gotten. 

Soda Machine_1.jpg

That is what is generically called a BC10 or CB10 from USI.  It's a solid machine.  The best thing about it is if you get a short, narrow pallet jack it will roll right under the machine (if the front grill is removed - it has wing nuts) and then it will roll right through most doorways.  The only secret you need to know is if the compressor has to be serviced, in order to pull it out the front you have to go behind the machine and remove a ground wire from the cooling deck before it will come out the front.  Also, don't plan on using any off the shelf water bottles in it as they will bridge in the columns, even if you use the single black plastic water shim the machine comes with.  No machines work well with soft water bottles but these are worse than others.

• 1 month later...

It's been a bit since I've posted in here, but thought I'd update! The seller never contacted me back after I said I was interested in buying the machine, and then my location said they only wanted a snack machine for now anyways 😕 

I've now gotten in contact w/ a vending company selling Automatic Product machines (all refurbished): 

AP 122 for $2,100

AP 123 for $2,200 

AP 133 for $2,400

AP 933 for $2,400

and a National 167 for $1995 

The seller said they're all MDB and are able to take credit cards. I'm not sure what the difference is between the machines (other than the AP 122 being 4-wide and the rest 5-wide), but I'm thinking of getting the AP 122 since it's cheap and least likely to cause issues cause of size. 

I'm thinking these prices seem fair, but I'm not sure what the difference between the machines actually is. If anyone has any experience with these different machines also please let me know! I believe automatic products is a good brand with easy to find parts, since it's based in the U.S.

I have an AP 123 and several National 157/167 machines.  I prefer the national but that's probably mostly because I only have a lone 123.  I personally feel that the 157/167 are more numerous and parts more available but maybe that's not true.  So, based off of my limited experience with the 123, I would recommend getting the 167 over the 123/133/933.  The 122 is the 4-wide version of the 123 and definitely a good choice if you are worried about space.  I think all of those are probably good choices.

The numbers represent in what order they were produced with the 133 and 933 the last models produced.  This is your 1st snack machine so go with the 4 wide 122.   I’m more of a National guy myself like the Angry One with more preference with AMS machines. 

I prefer 123s over 133/933s. Older machines but look the same as the 133s and are more robust.

167s are decent too but have a couple of common trouble points. Mostly shelf harnesses and tray boards. Slightly convoluted programming as well but not too bad once you get used to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, Storm Vendors said:

It's been a bit since I've posted in here, but thought I'd update! The seller never contacted me back after I said I was interested in buying the machine, and then my location said they only wanted a snack machine for now anyways 😕 

I've now gotten in contact w/ a vending company selling Automatic Product machines (all refurbished): 

AP 122 for $2,100

AP 123 for $2,200 

AP 133 for $2,400

AP 933 for $2,400

and a National 167 for $1995 

The seller said they're all MDB and are able to take credit cards. I'm not sure what the difference is between the machines (other than the AP 122 being 4-wide and the rest 5-wide), but I'm thinking of getting the AP 122 since it's cheap and least likely to cause issues cause of size. 

I'm thinking these prices seem fair, but I'm not sure what the difference between the machines actually is. If anyone has any experience with these different machines also please let me know! I believe automatic products is a good brand with easy to find parts, since it's based in the U.S.

Where is the company located? I'm in central Iowa looking for some machines. Hope your new business is going well!