Anyone using only interactives?

Roonster

Hello All,

I've just been reading about all I can on this board about the bulk vending business and am trying to find which niche may fit me.  The higher end gumball machines like Wowie Zowie and others really interest me and I could see the possible benefits of having a smaller fleet of specialty machines vs hundreds upon hundreds of singles.

How difficult do you find it locating interactive machines? I assume it's almost always a commission deal?

I would be looking for good quality used machines if I go down this path.  I'm fairly technical and wouldn't mind maintaining the machines myself if they are not too much of a pain.

Or should I keep it simple and keep looking for deals of bundles of single and double heads.......

I appreciate any insight or tips. I have read tons of the old posts but it seems like you guys come up with new ideas all the time :-)

Thanks,

Paul.

I think you should just print a nice photo of a wowie and start walking into kiddie places you think it would be good and start pitching for the location and commission. If you get a deal or 2....then you know you need some machines. It may seem "brave" this way, but its optimal.

I think you should just print a nice photo of a wowie and start walking into kiddie places you think it would be good and start pitching for the location and commission. If you get a deal or 2....then you know you need some machines. It may seem "brave" this way, but its optimal.

That's a neat idea Budleiser, how easy is it to find a good used Wowie on short notice ?? 

Just gotta keep your finger on the pulse. I jumped at the first "cheap" triples I found...those were $80 a piece! Now I don't spend over $50. Today I bought a 3 column sticker for $25, the first one I bought a few ago was $135 for a 4 column. I've seen atleast 2 local wowies via ebay/craigslist. And I saw one at a SuperAuction (arcade).

Here's a terrible thought, you find a location you show them the machine. Then you can't find one! But you do find a spiral, shootin hoops, or a plain double. You already got the yes, just let them know the deal fell through and you are going to find one, but until then you want to put this in there to see how it does. Oh look it does good, darn can't find a wowie, but you know what...I did find this RACK and I will increase your % by 5% and based on this double I put in before your going to make this much $.

Step 1: Find the location. Step 2: . Step 3: Profit.

Roonster,

I have a lot of Wowie Zowies as well many other interactive machines on the same order.  My suggestion would be to find a machine first so you know you have one ready to show and place.  The Wowie sells it's self when they see it.  I normally show the picture first and then bring the machine in so they can see it.  Showing the picture of a Wowie is about like showing a picture of a band and telling them what it would sound like.  You really need to show them the machine when you have a potential prospect as most won't interested from looking at the picture.  Their attitude changes, smiles begin to appear and the yes comes when they see it in action.

I like running the big interactive machines as it doesn't take nearly as many locations to bring in alot more money.  But like any other machine - it depends on the location and you'll just have to place on a trial basis and pull a machine that isn't doing well and relocate it again.  You may buy 50 triple heads and not worry about one only doing $11 so you just leave it sit for awhile and see what happens.  Since you probably won't be buying but 1 Wowie or Oscar at a time it is more important that you place it in a good location or move it if it isn't doing well.  I tell my potential location that we'll try it on a trial basis for both of us.  If I can't keep $100 min. after paying commission it's gonna have to come out.  It might not be that bad of a pull compared to a double or something but you just won't have enough of these machines to let them sit in a location that isn't doing very well.

If you want to get into the interactive show machines I'd suggest you keep a watch out for Oscars, Gizmo, Roller Coasters, Sportsball, Zingo or any other machines of this nature and buy them as they become available.  The Wowie is nice in that you can call U Turn and order a new part and the Oscar you can't but the Oscar is more fun to watch than the Wowie in my opinion.  Main thing is just keep watching the ads and buy what ever is available at a good price as they will all make you more money than placing a normal bulk machine.  It's really great when you can find these machines for a couple hundred bucks as there is just no way you can lose at that price.  You'll have alot of locations make that in a month.  Most of them will be a good investment if they're in nice condition for less than $500.  I look at it like if I can get my money back in 90 days it's a good deal for me.  You may place one and only pull $57 or something  like that so then you just have to relocate it until you get it placed in a better location.  Just like with any other machine.

nam

Thanks for the tips.  I'd love to find some nice machines int he $500 dollar range.......Seems like most of the ones I've seen listed are closer to the $1000-$1500 range.  How far do you usually have to be willing to travel to get the real good deals??

The mileage is deductible at 55 cents a mile so that helps!  I've driven from Phoenix to central Texas, to Denver, San Diego and LA several times, Las Vegas and just where ever the machines are.  I don't drive too far for one machine as the cost of making a road trip is to expensive for buying one or two machines.  If you've buying several machines and divide the cost of the trip into all of them the cost per machine won't be that bad.  You'll never be able to buy a large quanity of interactive machines in one area.  They're alot harder to find than your basic bulk candy machines so be prepared to hit the road if these are what you want.

nam

Paul,

It's a very cool machine.  Gumballs are in the top which is in the shape of a race car.  There are two tracks coming down from the top with two seperate coin mechs and two model race cars positioned in the center of the machine.  One player to two players at the same time put their quarter or quarters in and gumballs drop down onto the track.  The machine has great sound effects as the gumballs roll down the track you're hearing racing engines, squealing brakes, etc..  Down at the bottom of the machine is a good sized digital timer like you'd see at a drag strip.  The timer tells you how fast your gumball came down the track just like a stop watch.  Very nice machine but it isn't being made anymore.  I've seen a couple for sale but both needed parts that I couldn't get.  You should be able to buy a used one for $100 to $300.  If I saw a decent one used in that range I'd buy it.

I did see one decent used one for several hundred over what I was willing to pay so I passed on it.  Not gonna spend too much on a machine I can't get parts for as it's just too risky placing on location.  If I think I can get my money back in 3 months then it's worth the risk.

nam

I've not ever tried a 1" capsule so can't say.  I've thought of trying it because quite often I'm told by owners they don't want gum in their location.  Again, because they're are alot more locations than you'll have big show machines it just isn't a big issue if they don't want gum.  It isn't like you'll have 500 of them like triple heads or something.  Just move on to the next location.

Some of the interactive machines would more than likely work with 1" capsules but wouldn't want to say without actually trying it.  Maybe sometime in the next few days I'll try a few in a Wowie.  I have some Wowies that run with a large marble instead of a gumball.  The idea is to keep them perfectly round to always roll straight, have the exact weight and never get stuck anywhere during the show.  The marbles are sold by Wowie and are just used over and over as a show ball but the kids get a gumball.  I personally like the excitement of the kids guessing what color they'll get and they seem to enjoy that part of the game of using these machines.  The marbles work perfect but aren't brightly colored and just don't stand out as well and think the kids like seeing the gumball in the show.  I have other machines like the Sports Ball, Oscar, Air Jet that all use show balls but the kids get a gumball when the show is over.  My guess is the machines that use a show ball but then vend the gumball would be the best suited for 1" capsules. 

The other thing about using 1" capsules is the cost difference.  The cost of the gumball is 2 cents so it's alot more profitable to vend than the capsules.  Gumballs also lose their flavor rather fast so the kids will want another one real quick.  Also everyone likes gumballs - even parents!  Often parents will put a quarter in to get their own gumball and watch the show again themselves.

nam