Single Price or Multi Price?

As I walk around looking for new accounts, I notice that almost every soda machine I see out there is a multi-price machine. I know that single price machines are much less expensive, but is it better to put multi-price machines everywhere?

When would you use a single price and when would you use a multi-price?

Thanks,

Johnny Ringo

a few months ago I would have said that a single price machine will do the trick but now that I have broken into some larger accounts I am seeing the need for multi price machines more and more. I am starting to sell a lot more Snapple and Gatorade which will require different pricing. The only machines I will be buying from this point forward are multi price machines unless I see single price machines dirt cheap.

All of my machines are multi and I find that the flexibility is better.  Several accounts have wanted energy drinks and it was simply a matter of changing a column and raising that price.  Multis are better for re-sale down the road too. 

the company's such as royal and dixie will actually help you with service with a multi price machines where its not even worth calling them if you have a single price machine because they wont want to give you any service on machines that are that old.

I think if you have single price units, you certainly should use them until they croak.  In these times multiprice units really are good machines for the money.  You have the flexibility of pricing each column, the size of each column can be adjusted and you have electronics that give you lots of options from recording sales etc. If you buy a single price can vendor for a location and then lose the location, those machines can be hard to relocate.  Whereas a multiprice unit can be adapted to the needs of many businesses.

I agree with some of the other posters, put your money in multi price units. 

Bev

Blue Moose

Just one thing to think about with with your single price machines when you want to include items that cost more (especially if it is just one column;) adjust the price up a little on the cheaper selections to offset the loss on the more expensive item. I don't think this would work on something with a drastic cost difference, but if its around 25¢, bumping the other items up 10¢ each might make it worth while.

Scott

• 7 months later...

I have a question about this.  Right now I have just one machine that is single price but I talked to a tech guy and he said he wouldnt mess with multi price starting out because of the potential repair costs for the electronics such as board etc.  Is it better to start out with cheap single price on accounts then move to multiprice once I get on my feet?

The "electronics" usually don't go bad. The motors will die before the electronics will unless the building gets hit by lightning or some other kind of major power surge. In the last 5 years or so I don't think that I've replaced more than 3-4 boards, so don't get all worried about that.

Well I disagree to a point any how. I hate multi price machines, for their electronics. Maybe its just my area but I have way more trouble with multi price electronics than I have ever had from a single price machine. The majority of my machines are single price and of the several multi price machines I have I am only using 1 of them for 1 selection that is a different price. The last time I checked, which was a couple weeks ago, i could still buy a brand new single price machine. There aint nothing wrong with a single price machine.

Well the lightening and power surges is what I'm worried about because you never know the weather here.  One day its sunny and the next day there is a hurricane.  I know every year we have at least one serious storm