Waverly's Vending World

Another week, another collection

Service Station 1, $46 from sodas only

Service Station 2, $31 from sodas only

30 person office, $48.80 from snack only

assisted living, $140.35, snack and soda

public works,  $42, snack and soda

Service station number three installed today and number four scheduled for the end of next week.  Will service the last soda machine later this week.  Trying to install different products at public works but stymied as to what will work there.

Cinnamon buns worked for two weeks and then sales went to almost none.  Same with Ring Dings and Fruity Snacks.  Trying muffins this week. 

Time to get another location or two this week.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, most of these could be serviced every other week or so.  However, I am small, so I am providing weekly service until I get larger.  The service station soda machines have been serviced on longer intervals and the public works office could also be serviced every other week.  Only the assisted living center and the 30 person snack only location require weekly servicing.  The last two snack and soda locations are only a month old or so and I plan on starting all such locations on weekly service and then moving them to longer if that works.   

you run the risk of them getting used to your weekly visits and getting upset as you grow and do not have the time.

Lets say it cost you $15(just a random number)in time and gas and wear and tear on your vechile. and COGS is 30% then here is the break down.

Service Station 1, $46  cogs $13.80  service cost $15.00  Profit $17.20 Profit per wk $17.20

2wk service        $96          $27.60                    $15.00  Profit $53.40 Profit per wk $26.70

3wk Service        $138        $41.40                    $15.00  Profit $96.60 profit per wk $32.20

4wk service        $184        $55.20                    $15.00  Profit $128.80 profit per wk $42.94

So you can see the longer between service the higher profits. There is a catch, if your machine is always empty your location will be upset.

I constantlly adjust the service schedule of my ful line locations to maximize profits. One example is a location that sells out of coke super fast but the others are half empty. I removed the worse selling item and added another row of coke. In a snack machine zingers and texas cinimon buns sold out weekly. To avoid lost sales or servicing the machine 2 times per week, I added a nother row of each

As your business grow you will find what works best for you. I hope this helps

Thanks for the good ideas bishop, it is still very early days with almost all these accounts, so I am pretty sure I can stretch out the servicing times on the lower producing sites without causing many problems.  I have it in mind to do this later, but earlier is probably better as you suggest.

i was the exact same way when I was a lot smaller, I serviced everything about every 7 business days. It was nice to build the reputation with the business while I could still afford to give them that attention. Now with my size its about impossible to do that anymore but they still get good service. People forget this is a service business and you are doing it right, you will be able to trend your sales and products over time so it will make it a lot easier to know where you need to be and at what times. One thing that was very hard for me with my growth was having to take out a drink selection to double up another one so that I could stretch out the service intervals but its just part of the business. 

Good points to remember Mxer!  I am still trying to work out the balance as I grow.

I finally think I found a new home for my unsuccessful soda machine.  This 40 person office needs a smaller machine to fit in their break space.  I can also move my 4 wide snack machine from my most successful location and replace it with a 5 wide location.  I also am finally getting the go ahead on a 200 person office in addition to the service station that will be added as soon as I get the machine from Coke.  I have several other strong leads that should get me a couple more yeses by this week or next. Should be a busy couple weeks! 

Collections were a little slow this week due to a short week and maybe just the end of summer is affecting my outdoor soda machines...

Service station 1, $24, ugh

Station 2, $17, double ugh, but this one was out for 3 days due to rain shorting out the machine.

New service station, $26, also out three days due to rain shorting out the machine.  I am really beginning to hate rain.

30 person office, $56

Warehouse, $17 after 3 weeks...  this is the one I am moving.

Assisted living, $93  down a little, but still strong.

Public Works, $20,  really poor and this one needs to stretch out to 3 weeks eventually.    It seems that summertime is really strong here and the rest of the year...not so sure.  I may consider relocating these machines too. 

Depending on the layout and the structure of the public works but start getting excited as it gets colder as they will be a lot more busy when the snow starts to fly. I am looking forward to my DOT locations that will be going to their 12 hour mandated work day for the cold season. One thing the think about for that location is installing a coffee machine if you can get one cheap enough. I have them at all of mine and they do amaizing business once it gets cold. just some thoughts as to how to boost the revenue on these locations.

One thing about this business, I am never quite sure what each week will bring.  I am beginning to get a much better idea about how things are going though and am still excited to go out every Monday servicing and collecting. 

Service station 1, $28.5, ugh, gonna change out some selections next week and see if that helps.

Station 2, $64.50  Back on track for this guy.

Station 3, $60, Ok, this one may finally begin to deliver on its promise

30 person office, $57, steady like a rock

Assisted living, $132.50  This place is my rock star so far!

Public Works, $42,  back up to its average.

Friday I add the snack and soda machines at the 40 person office.  Had to buy a 267e soda machine to fit the space requirements.  So much for moving my loser warehouse machine.  It may fit in to the mix of machines going in to the 200 person office though!

Next Tuesday coke is delivering my 4th service station machine.  For zero equipment investment, you really can't beat these spots.  They are starting to add up!

9/28/9

Service Station 1, $30

Service Station 2, $43

Service Station 3, $59----new one is looking good while the old ones continue to falter, gonna change the mix of products at 1 and 2

30 person office, $48

Assisted living, $109

Public Works, $20

New office is installed and running, tomorrow is service station number two and Monday I get a second assisted living center.  Snack and soda going into there.  Doubt it does as well as the first one, but we shall see.  Big 200 person office is still looking like it is 3 weeks out.  Been a good month for adding spots so far though.

• 2 weeks later...

10/4-7/09

Service Station 1, $41   Exchanged one water column for grape fanta since orange sells so well.  

Service Station 2, $55   Exchanged one water column for grape fanta since orange sells so well.

Service Station 3, $85----new one is looking very good!

30 person office, $45

Assisted living, $129

new 40 person office, $34 total for snack and soda, blah, hopefully this will improve

Public Works, $28, cant wait for cold weather....changing product mix, cause of crappy results

Service Station 4, Sometimes Coke is infuriating to work with.  New machine arrived with a bad validator.  They claimed to fix it next day.  It seemed to work when I checked it the following day.  Week later machine has $7.50 in it and validator not working again.  Damn I hate it when Coke screws things up for me.

New assisted living, Snack machine installed and running, Coke brings a machine too big to fit in the designated room.  They are getting a smaller one next week.  Ugh.

200 person office is STILL dithering, wish I knew what is holding up that decision since I expect that one account to nearly double my current numbers.

Still chasing several new accounts besides this one.  

10/9/9---Finally, at live long last, the big 200 person office gave me the final go ahead!!!!  I think I first discussed this account in July in this thread.  Just took time and persistence to get this account to agree to my overtures.  Now to get all the equipment lined up.  They require a cold food, ice cream, glass front bottle machines and snack machines of course.  If all goes as expected, this one account could double my revenues and get me back on track with my goals.  I was falling a little behind on my 1 snack or soda machine a week placed goal. 

I have been following you since July lol it nice to see you growing.  I am in the position you were in a couple months back just getting things organized with coke for 3rd party vending.  I am trying to reach at least 30 machines out by summer.

Hi Spdydre,

Good luck to you.  I am writing this in the hope that someone like yourself will use it to have a realistic path painted for them of the ups and downs of this business.  If we can get started and stay profitable in this environment, we can surely make it when the economy finally turns around!

• 3 months later...

Well, I have been VERY busy for some good business reasons and for some personal ones, hence no posting since October.

At the very end of October my wife and I closed on a new house on a Wednesday and I opened up the big new stop the same Friday.  This is the one I have discussed here for months.  After buying the house, my wife and I were in full refurbishing mode as we remodeled the house nearly completely.  New paint everywhere, carpets up and hardwood floors down.  Total bathroom makeovers with new tiles, toilets, cabinets and vanities.  Numerous other 'small' projects that have kept me busy.  This is in addition to servicing my now 11  service locations with a total of 21 machines.  I am relatively happy with most of the locations although I have one dud and two that are definitely borderline keepers.

The big new stop does not do as well as I hoped but it has been constantly improving as my product mix has gotten better and better.  

It averages about  $200 per week.  I break even on the cold food machine and make money on the sodas and snacks.  The ice cream machine does horribly and I am hoping it picks up in the summer.  

Old service stations #1 and #2 averaged $30-$40 week net after commission in November.  However once it got good and cold here in NJ, they both have been averaging about $20/week.  Ugh!

The 30 person office snack machine does very well.  From Thanksgiving to Christmas, they worked 24/7 getting all their Christmas orders in and nearly doubled my weekly take at this machine.    They jumped from $45/week to $90/week during that time period.   After the holiday, they are back down to $45.

I added a snack machine to service station #3 and its income fluctuates wildly with the weather.   Thanksgiving week with good weather here I netted abut $125 here.  Some cold weeks since then have been half of that but the take varies a lot here.  

I have 2 assisted living locations with snack and soda machines.    The original one does very well netting $100/week after commission.    The newer one is right next door to the old one, but only does about $30/week.  The newer one has mostly 65 plus age residents where the old one has lots of disabled young people where the average age is 45.  The young people snack and drink a helluva lot more than the old ones!    This 2nd location is a near bust that I would consider moving except that I don't want to piss off the first location which has the same management as the second.    I also have a coke machine there so my capital cost is only the snack machine which is my smallest, an AP6000.  

The 4th service station was a total bust and coke is coming to pick up the machine this week.  The location was garnering less than $7/week with $1.25 20 oz sodas.  I also adjusted the product mix twice, all to no avail.  

The 40 person office with soda and snack machine does ok, but barely.  I recently adjusted the product mix and so collections jump as a result.  Going from $20 to $40 is a big jump and will justify keeping them (just barely) if the revenue stays at this level.

The Public Works is still really slow.  The average collection there is around $35 which is terrible for a snack and soda stop.  However, they hire about 20-25 part timers in the summer who are all teenage kids.  They were all let go after my first two weeks there.  The collections had been $77 and $55 for those two weeks.  Since they have left, I am happy if I get $40 at this location.  

The soda only location in the warehouse does about $10/week and should be moved when I find a suitable location for it.  

Thus I gross over $500/week after commissions at all locations.  I spend two days a week servicing the locations and 3 days locating.  Considering I only work 'half days' I can't complain.  I also get to be babysitter for my daughter and not have to pay for or worry about child care.  The revenue numbers are not bad for the middle of the winter and I expect the summer to be better.

I have not been locating since November 1st except for two days as all my free time has been spent as a "housing re modeler".   That work is more less complete and I am back out locating again this week and expect to be picking up a location/week again soon.  I should have time to update this thread monthly or so with average figures like I have in this post.  

Hope all is well and everyone has a great 2010!

• 4 weeks later...

Winter is a strange phenomenon in this business.  The revenue at  my three outside service stations has been pretty much cut in half.  I am looking forward to summer for this part of the business to pick up.  I just got the go ahead on two more service stations this week and it looks like I will get the ok on two more as well.    For them, winter can't be over soon enough.

Then there is the assisted living center for young adults that I have.  The heavy snows the last couple weeks have kept the 'inmates' inside much more than usual and they are 'pounding' my soda and snack machine more than ever.    Since the first of the year, my average revenue there has been higher than ever. 

The other locations are still in the winter doldrums and doing ok.  I did a new calculation to figure out how quickly I will be paying off the equipment at each location and I will share that with you instead of the same old boring revenue figures. I assumed 50% net for the profit on each location and then compared that net number with the cost of the equipment in each location.

Service station 1, 3rd party coke has netted me $470 since the first collection July 6th.

Service station 2, 3rd party coke has netted me $376 since the first collection July 6th.

Service station 3, 3rd party coke and a snack machine with a cover over both.  First collection was 9/14 and I am halfway to paying off the equipment there.  So 10 months to pay off, but probably 8 or 9 because their revenue will at least double come summertime. 

Snack machine only at 30 person office/publishing company. (Half blue collar.)  First collection 7/20.  $267 to payoff.  Should be paid off in 3 more months.  10 months to pay off.

Public works with my own snack and soda machines.  First collection was 8/10.  They are still $1343 from payoff.  ugh!  That will be about 18 more months to payoff.  It will happen somewhat sooner because they hire teenagers in the summer who pound the machines but this place is an overall disappointment.

30 Person office  with my own soda and snack machines.  First collection was  10/5.  $1433 to payoff there.  Thats nearly 24 months more to pay off this spot.  Lesson learned, no more small offices getting this kind of equipment.  I probably just won't do any more small offices.

30 Person warehouse with my own soda machine.  First collection was 8/14.  Business has picked up here and they hired some more folks.  STILL $491 to payoff this $600 soda machine. 

First assisted living center with my own snack machine and a 3rd party soda.  First collection was 8/14.  They were paid off the first week in January and is now in profit  $283.  Payoff was in 5 months.  Double that time if I place my own snack machine here.

2nd assisted living center with my own snack machine and 3rd party soda.  First collection was 10/12 and they are $372 from being paid off.  They should be paid off in a total of 9 months.  If not for the 3rd party soda, this place would be another dud with a two year payoff.

300 person office with 2 glassfronts, 2 snack, cold food and ice cream.  First collection was 11/2.    They are $6722 from payoff.  Total payoff projected at 14 months.  Not as good as I liked, but not as bad as some others.  They do not deserve an ice cream machine that pulls in an average of $6/ week.  Take away that machine and my payoff goes under a year.  However, I also would not get the account without the ice cream machine.  The previous vendors machine had the ice cream stuck to the spirals all the time and I sold the spot on my 'vaccum' type delivery system in the ice cream machine.  I also had to provide the cold food machine which breaks even every week in order to get this spot.  Breaking even means the other machines have to pay for this one and the ice cream machine.    The soda and snack machines would pay for themselves in under 6 months, it is paying off the 'extras' that boosts the time here.

My goal has been to pay off my equipment in under 9 months.  One service station and one assisted living center will meet that goal.  The other service stations would not meet the goal if I had placed my own equipment there.  I will be placing my own equipment going forward since Coke is killing its third party program in New Jersey.  I have learned to focus on better outside service station locations and I will be staying away from small offices.  Still going after large ones and warehouses.  Hope the economy turns up soon as that will help all of us.  If we can make it in this environment, we should do great in a regular economy!

They do not deserve an ice cream machine that pulls in an average of $6/ week.  Take away that machine and my payoff goes under a year.  However, I also would not get the account without the ice cream machine.  The previous vendors machine had the ice cream stuck to the spirals all the time and I sold the spot on my 'vaccum' type delivery system in the ice cream machine.  I also had to provide the cold food machine which breaks even every week in order to get this spot.  Breaking even means the other machines have to pay for this one and the ice cream machine.    The soda and snack machines would pay for themselves in under 6 months, it is paying off the 'extras' that boosts the time here.

For me it's very rare to have a cold food machine that makes a decent profit, that is one reason why I went to strictly frozen stuff. If they want cold food I guess someone else will be servicing them. Frozen machines have done fairly well for me especially when combining food and ice cream in one machine. Here is South Texas though we only have two seasons, summer and January :o so it's pretty easy to sell a lot of ice cream.

• 2 weeks later...

In my last post I noted that I had gotten the go ahead on some new service stations.  3 used soda machines were placed at those locations last Friday.    Two of the three are on a major Highway in my area with a ton of traffic.  If I bought service stations, I would want mine located on this highway in my area.  The third is on a well trafficked main road off this highway.  I checked one of the machines on the main highway today and found it had $50 in it after only 5 days which is better than any of my other service stations did in the last 7-14 days! 

I was out at this location today because I had gotten the go ahead to locate soda machines at 8 service stations that one family owns here in New Jersey.  The family owns 30 total stations and if the sales work out, I will get the remaining 22 stations!  3 of these new locations are on the major highway that just had the high collection on and I am pretty jacked.  The other 5 are on nearby local highways.    All the locations are within 5 miles of my home base and better yet, the other 22 locations are all south of me AWAY from that dreaded traffic nightmare known as NYC and its nearby cities of northern NJ!  These locations totally fit in with my local expansion plan!

The next couple weeks will be pretty busy as I get all these new locations up and running.    Some spots have existing vendors that need to remove their equipment and it may get 'interesting' dealing with them.  One of the existing vendors in two places is the local Coke bottling company that was poorly servicing these accounts.  I called Coke expecting the machines to be third party but found out they were full line Coke accounts.  I have to assume that these spots will do VERY well.    There are also two third party guys who are/will not be pleased that the owner decided that he wants me servicing their spots. 

The owner complained that the previous vendors did not supply him with commissions timely or communicate adequately with him.  I have coordinated a schedule with his manager to present him with a monthly report and checks for commissions from all the stations.  That plus the 15% gross commission I promised him sealed the deal. 

Upon inspecting the new locations, I found that nearly every soda machine had 50% or more empty selections and 50% of the machines in the locations were not working at all.  One station had two abandoned machines and two others had one as well.  The abondoned machines were heavily damaged and left at the side of the one station.  One abondoned machine had a third party vendor sticker on it and I called him up.  He said he had called Pepsi over a year ago to pick up that machine and he was no longer dealing with small accounts like that one.  I am happy he is doing that because the service station has a car wash behind it and gets tons of traffic!  It is an excellent location for someone like me. 

So I have lots of potential problems and a helluva lot of promise.  By mid summer I am sure that more than one of these spots will be doing over $100/week which will be better than any of my existing service station soda stops. 

The weather finally broke here and this week feels like spring is nearly here at last.  All my service stations numbers improved by at least 50% over the average of the previous 8 weeks or so.  Full on summer can't get here soon enough!    With all these new, outside service stations coming online I sure hope next winter is mild cause one like this one will really stink if I have lots more outside locations as I anticipate!

I expect to be back to post the numbers of the new stations next week and update my other locations revenue numbers as well.

Collections in the outside service stations picked up this last week with the break in all the white stuff those weirdos in Wash DC said was further evidence of global warming.  All I know is that those weirdos dont have a clue and its the coldest winter around here in at least the last 10 or so!

Full steam ahead with the numbers!  I am going to revamp the format a little for this year and only report monthly numbers.  This may make it hard for some of you to follow congruent with last years numbers, but it will make it easier for me.  The first month is January's number and the second is February.  If their is a commission, it is subtracted from the number you see.

Large office, $780, $739

Snack only, $165, $167

Public works, $85, $86

Small office with snack and soda, $70, $59

Warehouse soda, $21, $60

Assisted living 1, $373, $402

Assisted living 2, $94, $133

Service station 1, $102, $84

Service station 2, $68, $40

Service station 3, $155, $92

Service station 4, $9.25, dropped

Service station 5, 6, 7 placed last week    5 day week numbers are $50, $6, $4  great and ugh, ugh

and numbers 8,9, 10, 11 go into service next week.

All service stations are soda only except for number three which has soda and snack. 

Number 8 and 9 will likely become two soda machine stations and 11 will have a soda outside and snack inside next to a car wash.

I picked up numbers 8 and 9 today so I still have 6 more from the first 8 of the owner with the 30 stations.  We decided to go ahead on his stations that had no current equipment and wait till the current vendors remove theirs from the other 6 before we proceed.  Stations 8 and 9 came from a separate service station owner that I found by driving to the 8 shown to me by the 'big' owner.  I saw empty 'kiosks' or outside soda sheds with no equipment in them yesterday.  I got the managers name yesterday and upon contacting him today, he agreed to let me place my equipment 'as soon as I can get it'.  Apparently the stations were to be sold as part of a package deal that fell through last year.  For some reason the management felt it would be best to remove the equipment before the sale and never put it back after.  Their loss was my discovery and new gain!  One of these stations is on the 'main' highway near me and the other is on the other nearby highway.    Both should also be excellent locations and within 5 miles of my new home. 

13 new locations in two weeks time is definitely a record for me!  Best thing is that it could lead to 22 more if I can just get the rest of Mr. 'Big's locations!

I just had to share this moment.  Yesterday I was setting up the 4 new soda accounts at the service stations.  While filling one of the machines, I noticed a car driving slowly torward the exit who suddenly turned in my direction.  The driver stopped and looked in my direction.  I asked if I could help him and he asked if the "Coke machine' was mine.  I replied that it was.  He said that he owned a mechanics shop and asked what is the deal with getting a soda machine.  I explained how I place it for free if in a good location and pay commission if the machine performs well.  He gave me his address and I am going there tomorrow to see if I can place a machine thee for him!  When it rains it pours.....I love March!

• 3 weeks later...

March was simply a miserable month here in NJ.  The only thing I can see that was positive is that thank god it wasn't any colder, cause we would have six feet of snow on the ground instead of the swollen rivers and soaked ground we had from over 10 inches of rain this month!  This much rain coming in two northeasters and just plain rainy days kills the soda sales in my outside vending machines.    However, it looks like the hot weather is finally coming round starting this weekend and maybe my outside sales will go up in the near future. 

Collections in the outside service stations picked up this last week with the break in all the white stuff those weirdos in Wash DC said was further evidence of global warming.  All I know is that those weirdos dont have a clue and its the coldest winter around here in at least the last 10 or so!

Large office, $824

Snack only, $153

Public works, $127

Small office with snack and soda, $141

Warehouse soda, $17

Assisted living 1, $382

Assisted living 2, $124

Service station 1, $112

Service station 2, $70

Service station 3, $124

Service station 4, $22

Service station 5, $128

Service station 6,  $28

Service station 7, $24

Service station 8, $17

Service station 9,  $47

Service station 10, $74

Adding new snapple machines to locations 9 and 10 because I just landed a new 3rd party agreement with them.  Also, these locations are the most successful of the new ones and I don't want anyone else to get a machine placed inside the sheds at these locations.    I want to add a snapple to station 5, but the owner is claiming to place one of his own.  I am going to offer once again since this location is smokin'!.   

All the new locations have less than a full month of revenue.  Most of them have 10 days to two weeks AND the weather was horrible.    However, the worst three locations are all subject to relocation in the very near future.    Two of them might turn out ok, but I am ready to move one as soon as Mr. Big allows me to place more machines. (ie the current vendor is removed.) 

Next week I pick up the first of the service stations where we are removing the previous vendor.  I am also still waiitng on the machine to be removed from the auto mechanic's shop.   

Also have a good lead for a snack and soda to be placed at  an adult school.  Should have all these plus the other 5 service stations in  service in April.

March was simply a miserable month here in NJ.  The only thing I can see that was positive is that thank god it wasn't any colder, cause we would have six feet of snow on the ground instead of the swollen rivers and soaked ground we had from over 10 inches of rain this month!   This much rain coming in two northeasters and just plain rainy days kills the soda sales in my outside vending machines.    However, it looks like the hot weather is finally coming round starting this weekend and maybe my outside sales will go up in the near future. 

Large office, $824

Snack only, $153

Public works, $127

Small office with snack and soda, $141

Warehouse soda, $17

Assisted living 1, $382

Assisted living 2, $124

Service station 1, $112

Service station 2, $70

Service station 3, $124

Service station 4, $22

Service station 5, $128

Service station 6,  $28

Service station 7, $24

Service station 8, $17

Service station 9,  $47

Service station 10, $74

Adding new snapple machines to locations 9 and 10 because I just landed a new 3rd party agreement with them.  Also, these locations are the most successful of the new ones and I don't want anyone else to get a machine placed inside the sheds at these locations.     I want to add a snapple to station 5, but the owner is claiming to place one of his own.   I am going to offer once again since this location is smokin'!.   

All the new locations have less than a full month of revenue.  Most of them have 10 days to two weeks AND the weather was horrible.    However, the worst three locations are all subject to relocation in the very near future.    Two of them might turn out ok, but I am ready to move one as soon as Mr. Big allows me to place more machines. (ie the current vendor is removed.)   

Next week I pick up the first of the service stations where we are removing the previous vendor.   I am also still waiitng on the machine to be removed from the auto mechanic's shop.     

Also have a good lead for a snack and soda to be placed at  an adult school.  Should have all these plus the other 5 service stations in  service in April.

Good to hear that you got hooked up with Snapple, I have had some huge success with them in the right locations as alternative drinks to offer, I have also been adding a ton of vitamin water locations ever since the new coke pricing brackets  have lowered the price of the cases down around 17$ per case. In most locations I can get away selling it for 2$ per 20oz so the markup is wonderful and it really does sell in the right places.

Thanks for the idea on the coke waters Mxer since they were far too expensive in the past and were the ABSOLUTE WORST sellers in my big office.  I hope they brought the price down for me here in New Jersey too and I can place some in my outdoor machines to test.  The new Snapple machines are going into two of my three best outdoor locations tomorrow and I can't wait to see the results because the past week was absolutely smokin' for me.  None of my outside machines has ever topped $100 in a week, but I had two this week and a third came close!  These are all new locations so I am pretty stoked after servicing them today.  On the flip side, I have two absolute dogs that I have to move.  If they can't top $20 in a week like last week, then it is time to move them.  They are both moving in the month of April. 

Archived