My meeting with Coke

sbishop

I got lucky Coke is the bottler here. I did not have to deal with one of the independent guys.

I'm not trying to be anal but you are dealing with an independent guy. Everyone does. Coca-Cola does not bottle Coke products. They manufacture the syrup and sell it to licensed bottlers who turn the syrup into a finished beverage.

Even the largest bottler in North America is only 36% owned by Coke and remains a separate company.

I am only pointing this out to explain why everyone is seeing different types of 3rd party vending regulations around the country and what one bottler offers, may not be what another bottler offers, even within the same state.

I could be way off base but this is the information I got from my bottler after reading about the Coca-Cola/Coke bottler relationship in a trade pub, so who knows.

I'm not trying to be anal but you are dealing with an independent guy. Everyone does. Coca-Cola does not bottle Coke products. They manufacture the syrup and sell it to licensed bottlers who turn the syrup into a finished beverage.

Even the largest bottler in North America is only 36% owned by Coke and remains a separate company.

I am only pointing this out to explain why everyone is seeing different types of 3rd party vending regulations around the country and what one bottler offers, may not be what another bottler offers, even within the same state.

I could be way off base but this is the information I got from my bottler after reading about the Coca-Cola/Coke bottler relationship in a trade pub, so who knows.

No that's right, Some people are going to have way better situations based on their bottlers. Mine for example is not good at all but it seems some of them really like the vendors and are really willing to work with them.

• 2 weeks later...

If the following information helps I am glad to provide it.

The Pepsi Bottling Group is broken up into 368 separate franchise areas around the country.  I have the complete list of locations and executive names plus phone numbers.  I would be glad to pass on this information to anyone wanting to contact the executive in their area.

Coca-Cola Bottling Company is a subsidiary of Coca-Cola Enterprises which has 749 listed individual groups around the country.  Again I have the list if anyone is interested in connecting directly with the local executive for their area.

I have the information on different bottlers, manufactures etc.  If you are interested in finding a certain manufacture of a beverage or product, let me know.  I will be glad to pass on the information.

Blue Moose

They require you to purchase 10 cases per month per machine?  That seems like a lot to me.

I thought the same at first.

But I've worked at a few places (retail stores and offices) where I KNOW vendors sold more than 10 sodas per day.

This 10-per-day average would exceed the minimum 10cases needed to keep the machine stocked and keep Coke happy.

I also figure the minimums may be easier to reach if an operator also has some of his/her own soda machines. The minimums would be easier to reach because an operator could buy stock for their own machines from Coke along with the stock for the machines being provided by Coke.

I thought the same at first.

But I've worked at a few places (retail stores and offices) where I KNOW vendors sold more than 10 sodas per day.

This 10-per-day average would exceed the minimum 10cases needed to keep the machine stocked and keep Coke happy.

I also figure the minimums may be easier to reach if an operator also has some of his/her own soda machines. The minimums would be easier to reach because an operator could buy stock for their own machines from Coke along with the stock for the machines being provided by Coke.

But why would you want to buy your  extra product from coke when walmart is so much cheaper?

Here in Arkansas if you buy from Coke/Pepsi you pay a higher price then tax and then a soft drink tax the soft drink tax you do not have to pay at walmart.

But why would you want to buy your  extra product from coke when walmart is so much cheaper?

Here in Arkansas if you buy from Coke/Pepsi you pay a higher price then tax and then a soft drink tax the soft drink tax you do not have to pay at walmart.

Keep in mind I'm a newbie, so I'm not even going to PRETEND to know more than anyone else on this forum.

However, I was basing my response on the fact that the op had already stated it was cheaper in his/her area going through Coke for their cases of soda. I believe the op states going through COKE would save him/her a few cents per can.

Given what info has been provided here, an operator in the op's location is better going with Coke for their entire stock, not just the vendors provided by Coke. And as a result, in the op's location, if someone has a vendor or two that DOES NOT belong to Coke, it would be easier to reach the 10case-per-month minimum the bottler is requiring.

Keep in mind I'm a newbie, so I'm not even going to PRETEND to know more than anyone else on this forum.

However, I was basing my response on the fact that the op had already stated it was cheaper in his/her area going through Coke for their cases of soda. I believe the op states going through COKE would save him/her a few cents per can.

Given what info has been provided here, an operator in the op's location is better going with Coke for their entire stock, not just the vendors provided by Coke. And as a result, in the op's location, if someone has a vendor or two that DOES NOT belong to Coke, it would be easier to reach the 10case-per-month minimum the bottler is requiring.

All I know for sure is that you can buy Coke/Pepsi for Wal-Mart or Sam's Or Target for around 25 to 31 cent a can. You will never buy at that price at Coke / Or Pepsi.

I have 3 leased machines now (not leased to me yet leased to the one i bought my route form) he is buy 250 case from coke /pepsi right now do not know how many machines he has. But when the time comes when they go in my name I will let you know what the deal is here.

Like Caserri said ever coke / Pepsi dealer is different.

One thing for sure I will only buy from the dealers what I have to..

One of the things we did with our Coke/Pepsi/7-Up purchase requirements was water, water, water, water.  They always had the best bottles for water so we purchased it from them.  Most cheap water was flimsy and jammed the machines so we knew we had to bite the bullet on water.  Also some of the bottlers really cut us deals on our water purchases.  It is one way to have some bottler machines and purchase product from them without really hurting your bottom line can sales.  It also gives you an opportunity to offer a wider selection of drinks using bottles that you can't find in Sams or Costco.  Most of our machines handled both bottles and cans so we needed the bottle selections to make our program work.  But we did need to keep our cans lower so we shopped at Sams for those and picked up our hard to find products from the bottlers.

We found the best sure vend with bottled was Deja Blue plus it was the cheapest water available.  If you are not talking with your local 7-Up bottler about equipment and products you are missing out on a fast growing market.  Just check this product list:  7-Up

A&W, Canada Dry, Country Time, Crush (hey Denver you know how popular this one is) Deja Blue, Diet Rite, Dr Pepper, Hawaiian Punch (a very very good seller believe it or not), Hires, IBC, Margaritaville, Mott's, Mr and Mrs T, Nantucket Nectars,  Orangina, RC Cola, ReaLemon, Rose's,

Schweppes, Snapple ( you all know how well this sells) Squirt, Stewart's, Sundrop, Sunkist, Vernors, Welch's and Yoo-Hoo (don't laugh, just try this in mfg and minority accounts).....

Our whole business model changed when we signed on with 7-Up.  Lower product costs, great water product and they were easy to work with in our area.  Plus suddenly the products they offered like Snapple, Sunkist, Yoo Hoo and Deja Blue water became some of our strongest sellers and we were winning the contracts because we offered them.  So don't over look them. 

Sorry about the delay in getting back to your question Anderson Vending.  Whom do you want to contact and which area of the country.  Let me know and I will get the information for you.

Blue Moose

Dr Pepper Distribution Center

4451 31st St N

St. Petersburg Florida

727 527 7131

speak to Heather Freghue

if she is no longer available

ask which sales representative

handles your area.

Bev

Poplady1,

Do you have a contact for Pepsi for the Seattle, Wa area.

Thank you,

Jacob

Anyone looking for Pepsi info can go to www.iwanttoservepepsi.com and fill out the request. You'll get a call back in a day.

Actually since I have the list in front of me, let me go ahead and give you my information.  Call 206-323-2932 that is the Pepsi number for New Business in Seattle.  Once they answer Dial zero and tell them you want to talk to someone about 3rd party vending.  According to my details they want about 20 cases per month per machine they loan you in Seattle or if you like you can find the location have them set it up and they will send you a commission check for each month that it remains on site. 

I know first hand that they do as they promise since I have been receiving checks from bottlers for years.  Its a prefect way to build a nice retirement income and you don't have to do anything, once it is set up the only thing you hear is the postman loading up the mailbox with a check.  So the next time you have that really big hotel that wants 12 machines, call your local bottler to set it up.

Blue Moose