My New Crane

BluePlate

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to knock you down while you are excited about this new account at the mall. I had the opportunity to buy about 6 locations in a mall down in San Diego last year. It was from one of the members on VENDiscuss.com. The mall wanted $1,300 per month for the 6 location. I turned it down because I didn't think it would cover the $1,300 rent. I would rather pay rent based on sales. What do you do during the slow months of Summer? Maybe your mall location is different but can you talk to them about adding a formula that includes sales in some way. Maybe, if it drops down below a certain level it changes to commission not rent. This way you don't get hurt during the slow times of the year. You could also have an extra commission bonus during the holidays so the mall is happy with the deal.

I really wish you luck and want to hear how it goes.

Good Luck

Gary

Gary, I did have the chance to do 40% of sales or $500/month and 15% over $3333 in one month.  I took the $500.  The reason I did was because of the previous crane operator reported sales of $20K in one year.  I know there maybe months that I pay more, but I figured it would balance out in my favor.  I also figured if I did miss my sales mark, I wouldn't be far off. 

One of the things I did not tell everyone is.  I manage bulk vending locations and Kiddie Rides for a national company.  I get 10% - 12% of sales.  In the mall I put the crane in, I knew the Kiddie Ride sales # prior to putting my cranes in.  I had a rough idea of traffic and trends in the mall.

Sounds like a 6 location mall in San Diego would have been a huge winner.  In general, I am amazed the volume of some of the malls I manage do.

• 1 month later...

Steve,

They are doing good.  The cranes I have in there are United Textile Cranes.  I got good service from UT, but the cranes are cheaper then some others on the market.  I bought some Smart Clean Sweeps and they are scheduled to go in there next week.  My average dropped to $37/day - but my last pull shows the Christmas shopping season is coming.  The last week averaged $55/day. 

I have not changed up much with the plush.  I assume with my volume for the upcoming Holiday season I can change things around a little.

I'm going into another mall in 2 weeks, getting excited.

I have a ton of malls on my route for personal care products for bathroom vending, you should be getting very excited for the 4th quarter of the year. This is when we make about half of the yearly income on the machines. I go from 12 week service cycles to bi-weekly in the 4th quarter of the year. Its such a jolly time of the year for vending in places that reflect the increased traffic.

• 2 months later...

Soco,

Funny you ask, because the answer is no.  I was expecting a huge increase.  My month of September was better then December!  Also, the last week (between Christmas and New Years) pulled out my whole month!  Up until Christmas I was in a serious down trend.  I'm not sure what it was, I'm not experienced to know, but if I was to guess many people who are Christmas shopping do it without kids and they are on a mission.  They have no time to play. 

As we say in these parts, bummah... but your analysis seems right.  After a year goes by I'll be curious to know which month grosses the highest.  Have you experienced any other problems/issues with the machines?

• 1 year later...

Archived