Vendors... lock question

Lucero

I placed my second order of 5-heads from Seaga on Saturday (via sams).  I called yesterday and asked if I could have the same lock as I had on my last shipment.  They actually chuckled at my request :-P

While I am probably going to be getting a pair of A&A PMsup300 as a trial machine for my next order, and A&A said on the phone they can provide me with the same lock/key each time, I'm curious how everyone deals with this issue.  I have been in the position of having over 200 keys to my apartments, and it was a bloody nightmare.  How do you guys work key management?  Spreadsheet with locations/lock numbers?  Everything in the car?  Identical locks across your machines? :)

Thanks

-Lucero

I've re-key'd MOST my machines using locks from CamLock. I'm now in the process of getting rid of my Seaga, LYPC and T.Pico machines becuase I can't find a lock for the same key for them. When all is done, my whole route should have 3 keys MAX.

I keep them on a seperate key ring in the house and grap them when I'm going to need them.

I usually buy my machines new from the vendor, Oak. I ask to have the same key/lock for all my new orders.  I've even purchased extra locks to replace some of the locks of machines that I got off ebay.  That way, about 95% of my machines have the same lock/key.  There are a few locations I have that need camlocks, so those are my 'other' locks.

This is probably the extreme end of things, but this was my key nightmare with my former employer.

As The Amusement factory grew, it swallowed up a lot of mid size companies, including their equipment, which they left at location.  Which means that whatever brand machine was on site, no matter how old or how it was keyed was there for the next poor sob who had to service it.

This is not an exaggeration.  I carried 50+ keys on a carrabiner that fit MOST of the machines.  In a coin bag were another 50-70 keys that were used on odd machines once a month.  there were some racks that used 4-5 seperate keys on the locks.

It was as big a challenge to learn what key went where as it was to configure my accounts into a workable route!

Currently, ALL my machines are keyed the same, I hope to keep it that way.

I have questions about keys, is there a key set-up where you do not have to turn forever? What is the difference between square key hole and round key hole, is there an adapter for the square key hole to allow round key cylndiers? (lid holes) Is the flat key or round key better? If I wanted to change all my locks what is the best avenue to do this. (beaver heads)

Thanks Grumpy

I have questions about keys, is there a key set-up where you do not have to turn forever? What is the difference between square key hole and round key hole, is there an adapter for the square key hole to allow round key cylndiers? (lid holes) Is the flat key or round key better? If I wanted to change all my locks what is the best avenue to do this. (beaver heads)

Thanks Grumpy

I think barrel keys on bulk heads are PITAs.  It's a lot higher effort to push them in and turn them than it is to slip a key in and spin.

They do offer a slightly higher level of security, but I've had to drill out a few because they wore out.

BTW, you pretty much have to use beaver style locks in beaver heads.  There probably are aftermarket units available, but I don't know of any.

Best suggestion is go to the NBVA show in April and talk to the guys at CamLock. Or give them a call and ask for information on the BV90. They make a version for Nothwester and Beaver.

grumpy wrote:

Thanks Grumpy

Thanks Ascentvend

At $8.50 a piece in quanity of 200 plus this is an affordable and great solution for a a guy with carpal in both hands. I'll let you know what I think after getting a sample. Also it is cheaper then buying from a beaver approved supplier for cylndrical locks. Unique key and only quarter of a turn...

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ascentvend

At $8.50 a piece in quanity of 200 plus this is an affordable and great solution for a a guy with carpal in both hands. I'll let you know what I think after getting a sample. Also it is cheaper then buying from a beaver approved supplier for cylndrical locks. Unique key and only quarter of a turn...

where did you buy your locks at for 8.50?thats not a bad price.is shipping extra?

I have not switch yet but Xoe from camlock has sent an example to me Xoe.Rodriguez@camlock.com The reason I have not switch is with the beaver head I would need to change the body to open style with cash drawer (can't lift the head off with the cam lock). But I may do this at a later date.

grumpy