Big Promotion - Pushing sales idea, any thoughts?

joebob051977

I have a factory location that consistently does near $50 in candy sales. We are only 30 minutes away from the University of Illinois. It's pretty obvious that we are in Fighting Illini territory. I've been toying around with this idea since hearing that football helmets would probably sell well at my factory location. I would love to offer a pair of tickets to a University of Illinois football game to the first person to collect all 38 helmets from my machine and then contact me to verify this. The winner wouldn't be announced until 2 weeks before the game so that others would still continue to purchase in hopes of winning the tickets. There are only about 6 helmets of each team in a bag and the 2 tickets would cost $130. It would be a scary tactic for me since I would have to sell almost 4 bags of helmets to break even. I have never done toys or any crazy promotions like this, but it sounds fun to me. Every location is different, but does anyone have an idea as to how fast I might sell a bag of helmets using this tactic. I have 3 1/2 months before the game I have in mind. 

I was re-thinking this as I was driving to Air National Guard drill at 5am. If I would do this I would want to split the helmets up so that you could only collect only a select few at a time. I think only 8 fit in the blister display. I could put out 8 helmets every 2 weeks. That way you would have to anticipate and buy helmets every 2 weeks. Then the last 2 weeks you could put a complete mix in with the missing helmets you need to win. This way you couldn't just say, I am going to put $50 worth of quarters in the machine and empty out the machine and win the tickets on day one.

Just a word of caution. You're most likely NOT the only vendor in town. Someone (even one of your competitors) may already have all 38 helmets by the time you launch this campaign. Depending how you run with this, you may have to fork over the tickets without having made a single sale.

Scott