1st post!

Mettle

Hello. I am glad I found you guys/gals. I am trying to get into the bulk vending business but need to take it slow. I already have 1 Vendstar 3000 placed in a karate school. I bought it for $50 used and I think I am going to buy 2 more machines tomorrow, but these are going to be all metal triple candy dispensers for $45/ea. The Vendstar 3000 has Mike & Ikes, peanuts, and Costco trailmix in it. The karate instructor (who is really cool) told me she wanted some healthy snacks in there so I said OK. I have had it in the karate school for 2 weeks and I have not checked it yet. I also have been canvassing the area and have 2 more locations already. I don't have any problem walking into a store and asking if I can place a machine! I found all 3 of those places on 2 lunch breaks! All I have to do now is go buy 2 more machines but I plan on putting Skittles, Polar mints, Crybaby tears, Peanut M&Ms, and maybe some pistachios and almonds in there as well. I plan on asking the managers if they have a preference.

After alot of reading I found that:

1. Location is key

2. Buy machines used to save $$$

3. Locate your own machines

4. Bulk vending is a numbers business, the more machines, the more $$$

I hope to learn alot and maybe even contribute my knowledge here on vendiscuss.

Welcome again Mettle and glad to see you off and running already with your first machine.  Sounds like you have done your homework and have the basics down.  I would suggest if you are going to buy a triple head machine that it have removeable cannisters like the Vendstar you bought.  I'd rather have that Vendstar than a metal machine without changeable cannisters.  If you can find some 1800's you'd really like them!  Look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

nam

Thanks for the welcome, nam! As per your advice I am going to call the guy with the metal bulk candy machines and see if they have removeable cannisters, if they don't I will probably go with the Vendstars.  This guy bombardaed me with bulk candy biz info. when I talked to him, which I appreciated! Also I talked with another guy selling a 6 head + flat and he was also pretty helpful. I like the attitudes of the people I have come in contact with. Its a nice change of pace when dealing with them. I think I'm going to like working in this biz.

Thanks again for the welcome, and I hope to contribute more info. in the future.

Mettle

Mettle,  you are off to a great start and it sounds like you are doing your due diligence.  As NAM said 1-800 are great machines so if you can get some at a good price pick them up.  Welcome and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks Summit and G-man, I'm sure to ask more questions so the offers are appreciated.

Well, I didn't get the all metal candy machines because the guy wanted me to buy 5 at a time, and thats just not feasible for me at this time. They also didn't have removeable cannisters so I wasn't heartbroken when he said no deal. I did however pick up 3 more Vendstar 3000 for $100 total. $33 per machine, not bad, not bad at all. I have to throw props out to my machine supplier, he just wants them out of there and he is ready to deal. So all I have to do is clean and place 2 of them at locations already available then look for a 4th location and BINGO! I'm ready to rock with 4 machines all located by myself! WOOOHOOOO!!!

Please, if there is anyone out there that can't get up the strength to go into a store and ask if you can place a machine, JUST ASK! DON'T LOOK FOR EXCUSES, JUST DO IT! The manager/owners are human, just like you and me. If they say no, then just move on. No problem. If I can do it you can too. Just tell them that the corner that doesn't have anything in it can be making them money if they allow you to place a machine there. I usually offer 20% commission. Candy machines can keep kids quiet in restaurants, they can give customers/employees comfort when they just want a small snack - and happy customers/employees mean more sales for the store owner. If you are affiliated with a charity then they can feel good about helping other people. They don't take up much space so there is really no reason for them to at least think about it. Always leave your card/phone # in case they change their mind, say Thank You and just move on. 

Thanks