Protection

mike777

No, its not another 'lifestyles' joke.. 

I was wondering if anyone carries any sort of protection while servicing your routes.  I know its probably not worth it to most thieves to rob someone over a few dollars in quarters, but you never know with this economy.  I already know I'm going to avoid placing machines in certain areas I would have a rough time servicing, let alone the risk of vandalism to my machines.  I'm just wondering if I should carry something like mace or a taser.

No, its not another 'lifestyles' joke..  

I was wondering if anyone carries any sort of protection while servicing your routes.  I know its probably not worth it to most thieves to rob someone over a few dollars in quarters, but you never know with this economy.  I already know I'm going to avoid placing machines in certain areas I would have a rough time servicing, let alone the risk of vandalism to my machines.  I'm just wondering if I should carry something like mace or a taser.

1: do not have any signs on your car to suggest you carry money.

2: empty change into a bag and place into a small non-see through bin.

(mark the store location on your money bag so you can count it later...)

3: I would not count it on site, unless  it was nessc to pay store commission

I don't carry anything. To me, my life is more valuable than some quarters. Not woth getting shot over a few bucks.

Dude...people are stupid these days....they will shoot you first and then scoop up the quarters, dont fool yourself.

Dude...people are stupid these days....they will shoot you first and then scoop up the quarters, dont fool yourself.

So, I guess carrying a gun, mase or stun gun is useless also. They'll shoot you anyway. If someone sticks a gun in your ribs, how will you protect yourself? By the time you draw your gun, he'll have you filled with holes.

Well, what ever anybody decides to do,whether it be a gun,mace,taser,billy club,etc., I suggest you check with your state and local laws concerning such items.I've heard far too many times about someone going to jail for protecting themselves.I'm like some of you and will gladly turn over the quarters.

I was just about to post the same thread. I've got my guns. My right arm, and my left arm. LOL. I just try to be inconspicuous. I go in, do my job, and leave. I'll chat a little bit at some of the places. People sometimes ask about how much the machines make. I always tell them, "not much, only about $7 per month." I figure most people will accept that and will realize it isn't worth the risk for only $7. Other than that, let me ask, how many here have been robbed of their vending money while on their route?

Here is a great, and long thread about this very subject. Enjoy...

Entitled "Do you pack heat?"

http://vendiscuss.com/forum/index.php?topic=2260.0

Thanks Steve.  I just want to say, I'm not against guns--I just have never owned or even fired one.  I'm just not sure its worth the time/money going through the class, paying for a license, and buying a gun.  I'm in a pretty safe area but I'm thinking of carrying mace just in case.

Thanks Steve.  I just want to say, I'm not against guns--I just have never owned or even fired one.  I'm just not sure its worth the time/money going through the class, paying for a license, and buying a gun.  I'm in a pretty safe area but I'm thinking of carrying mace just in case.

I have fired shotguns...when I was 20, won me a turkey at a contest...

that turkey had no choice but to surrender...

Ive signed up for a conceal/carry permit. lifetime in indiana is 125$.

in minnesota....where at in 'sota? are ya in the big city?

I'm in a southeastern inner suburb of 'the big city.'  Its a pretty safe, working-class neighborhood and I aim to have my machines placed in the same type of areas.  I won't accept any locations in a bad area--not worth the risk to me or my machines.

I'm in a southeastern inner suburb of 'the big city.'  Its a pretty safe, working-class neighborhood and I aim to have my machines placed in the same type of areas.  I won't accept any locations in a bad area--not worth the risk to me or my machines.

You would not want your machines to get shot, now would you...:)

i look at packin' as a deterrent more then anything. all I know is that bringing a knife or stick to a gun fight isn't gonna do a thing for ya!

The problem is, since the conceal and carry law went into effect in MN, many businesses post 'No guns' signs on their doors.  I think, even if they didn't have those signs posted, store owners would not like a loaded gun brought into their store.. Maybe I'm wrong on that?  If the gun is concealed, doesn't that defeat the point of being a deterrent?

dsimms- I saw a CL ad a few weeks ago for an Altoids gum machine that "has a couple bullet holes."  ;)