A quick lesson on drilling out locks on Bulk Machines

Mercury

This will work for MOST locks that you'll find in NW 60s, Beavers, etc.

Drilling these locks out is VERY simple, even if you don't have any mechanical skills. Just try it, what can you lose? If you drill too far, the threaded rods are $1.50 at the hardware store. If you ruin the lock collar, they are $5 or so. It is already broken, so GO FOR IT!

What you will need is a LEFT HANDED drill bit, about 5/16" to 3/8" or so. This might be harder to find than normal, because it turns to the LEFT (like you would to loosen a lock) when it cuts. You CAN use a regular drill bit, but it doesn't work as well. If you are going to be doing a bunch of locks, and have lots of machines, buy the bit!

Here is one place that carries them:  http://www.mytoolstore.com/hanson/hanson.html

Put the drill bit in your drill, and put the drill IN REVERSE! This is IMPORTANT! If your drill doesn't have reverse.......buy a new drill! :D  MAKE SURE you get the bit PERFECTLY centered in the middle of the key area in the lock!

Now, drill it out SLOWLY, using some lubrication, such as WD-40, or even better, cutting oil. If it smokes, you are going too fast, and not using enough lube. This will keep you from ruining the drill bit! As you are drilling, sometimes you'll get lucky, and the drill will spin the lock backwards, and it'll come right off. Thats why you use a left-handed bit!

Most of the time, while you are drilling, you'll hit silver metal, then brass, then silver again. PAY ATTENTION to the color of the metal coming out! If you hit silver the second time, go SLOW, so you don't drill out the top of the rod! Otherwise you'll have to replace the rod too.

After you get most of the brass pieces out (these are the pins in the lock) you can try to turn the lock out.

The way I do it is to take a large screwdriver, a little larger than the size of the hole, and gently tap it into the hole, so it is in there firm. Then just turn it to the left, and try to unscrew the lock. If it doesn't move, keep drilling! You can also use a little bit larger bit once you get the lock mostly drilled out to enlarge the hole.

After you get the top off, wipe out the WD-40 if any got into the machine.

This is a very easy thing to do, and I was FLOORED when I read someone paid $120 to have a locksmith drill out two locks! I need to go into the locksmith business!

If you have any questions, just ask.

Merc

Hope this helps as well...

How To Drill Out The Tubular Lock On A Gumball / Candy Vending Machine

Question: I've lost the keys to my gumball / candy vending machine. How do I remove the lock so I can replace it? 

Answer: Assuming you have a tubular or barrel lock that you need to remove, you will need the following tools:

Drill

Drill bits - 1/4 inch drill bit and a small sized bite 1/8 inch bit or smaller

Masking tape (optional)

Ruler (optional)

Large screw driver (optional)

Needle nose pliers or vice grips (optional)

Time required is approximately 1 to 4 minutes.

Step #1. Ensure that you your gumball / candy vending machine is in a stable and secure location for the drilling process.  We want to avoid having the machine tipping over and possibly breaking the globe. 

Step #2 (optional). You will be drilling a hole down the center of the lock that is 1/4 inch deep. For each drill bit, use a ruler to measure 1/4 inch depth starting from the tip of the bit. Wrap a piece of tape marking off  a 1/4 inch depth on the bit (see photo below). This tape will be your depth guide and will ensure that you don't drill too deep into the lock causing damage to internal parts your gumball / candy vending machine.

Step #3. Start with the small drill bit (1/8 inch or smaller), this makes the project go much faster, and bore a starter hole into the center of the lock. Drill approximately 1/4 inch deep (stop drilling when you reach the masking tape).

Step #4. Finally, using the larger 1/4 drill bit, bore a second large hole through the initial hole, this will destroy the internal parts of the lock and will free it for removal. Remember to not drill beyond 1/4 inch depth.  Some locks are stubborn and you may need to insert a screwdriver into the drilled out lock and twist to remove the housing, needle nose pliers can also aid the process. Now you should have access to your gumball / candy vending machine.

• 1 year later...

Hope this helps as well...

How To Drill Out The Tubular Lock On A Gumball / Candy Vending Machine

Question: I've lost the keys to my gumball / candy vending machine. How do I remove the lock so I can replace it? 

Answer: Assuming you have a tubular or barrel lock that you need to remove, you will need the following tools:

Drill

Drill bits - 1/4 inch drill bit and a small sized bite 1/8 inch bit or smaller

Masking tape (optional)

Ruler (optional)

Large screw driver (optional)

Needle nose pliers or vice grips (optional)

Time required is approximately 1 to 4 minutes.

Step #1. Ensure that you your gumball / candy vending machine is in a stable and secure location for the drilling process.  We want to avoid having the machine tipping over and possibly breaking the globe. 

Step #2 (optional). You will be drilling a hole down the center of the lock that is 1/4 inch deep. For each drill bit, use a ruler to measure 1/4 inch depth starting from the tip of the bit. Wrap a piece of tape marking off  a 1/4 inch depth on the bit (see photo below). This tape will be your depth guide and will ensure that you don't drill too deep into the lock causing damage to internal parts your gumball / candy vending machine.

Step #3. Start with the small drill bit (1/8 inch or smaller), this makes the project go much faster, and bore a starter hole into the center of the lock. Drill approximately 1/4 inch deep (stop drilling when you reach the masking tape).

Step #4. Finally, using the larger 1/4 drill bit, bore a second large hole through the initial hole, this will destroy the internal parts of the lock and will free it for removal. Remember to not drill beyond 1/4 inch depth.  Some locks are stubborn and you may need to insert a screwdriver into the drilled out lock and twist to remove the housing, needle nose pliers can also aid the process. Now you should have access to your gumball / candy vending machine.

I have a wizard spiral and am drilling out the lock. Have done all of the above and at the tape on the 1/4 drill bit and nothing is turning. Tried the screwdriver and nothing turning. Should I keep drilling? Should the whole lock turn when you get to the right point?

I have a wizard spiral and am drilling out the lock. Have done all of the above and at the tape on the 1/4 drill bit and nothing is turning. Tried the screwdriver and nothing turning. Should I keep drilling? Should the whole lock turn when you get to the right point?

Well I blew through the whole lock and the lever that locked the safe. It's open and gonna call Wizard Tuesday to see if they have any suggestions. There was no rod connected to the lock; there is on top but I'm gonna wait till Tues. Made $3.25 on the deal so far!!

Archived