google.com, pub-6262331124919164, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 Jump to content

Cleaning your machines

The Mage

You fill the machine, take the cash, (coins,) and then clean the machine.  What products do you use?  I want to clean and sanitize the machines well, and leave it looking good.

I don't want a funky smell, or any residue that will affect the product.

I picked up a generic bleach based cleaner from Wal-Mart.  Not only was it cheep, I was kind of hoping it was watered down.

Testing it out, the scent seems to diminish quickly, and I know weak solutions of bleach are used to sanitize dishes in the food industry.

How do you clean you machine?  (You do clean it don't you?)

• 2 months later...

I have actually been using distilled water myself.  It does surprisingly well. 

I have never been a fan of Windex type cleaners.  They seem to attract dust, making the cleaning pointless.

I haven't found any other cleaner I like, yet, especially with anything that leaves any sort of chemical smell behind. 

I have been using a lysol anti-bacterial cleaner for kitchen on my machines. I was gonna ask the same question about what others use. Wondering this stuff would be OK seems like there shouldn't be anything bad in antibacterial kitchen spray cleaner. I never get it into an open machine or in contact with the food.

I only use the turtle wax ice products.  Syn glass cleaner it seems to help them stay cleaner longer.  and i use sani wipes on chute doors and coin mechs.  not sue how effective it is but location owners seem to like it.  Botom line keep them clean because in some countys across the us the health dept. will deduct points from a food places score if the machine is not clean.  I even have a few countys that make me buy a health dept. vending machine permit.  NOT a tax sticker an acuall food permit. 

The route I took over, every chute was brown with dirt.  You had to lift the flap to see it, but I am sure some people do that.  I made sure every one of those things were clean my first time out.

Since then I have mostly been doing touch ups.  I make sure to get anything I see, but a quick wipe with a wet rag seems to be fine for the most part.  I still hit those chutes though.

One location I have to sign in and out, and it took me 5 min from sign in to sign out.  If I can drive an average of 10 min per location, I will hit my goal of 4 machines an hour.