How to remove/ replace "T handle" lock

Mikey B

Hi gang.  I picked up a mechanical pop machine that appears to have been broken into to.  Door is open and the frame has been straightened, I do not have a key to the what I call "t handle" lock,  How do I replace the lock?

I have googled the subject but all I get is steps on how to break into machines to get the drinks and money.

Thanks in advanced.

Mike

Not really sure what you mean by a t-handle lock on a mechanical machine.  If it is the type I used you put your fingers around the t-handle and pull back.  You will see a lever on the bottom.  Push that in with a screw driver.  Heres the hard part if you don't have a key.  You will need something you can put inside that lock to pull it out.  If you had a key you would have just used that and turned it to the lock position and pull the lock out

Maybe a small needle nose or something.  Or another key that you can turn to create enough of a grasp to pull the lock out. 

Then once the lock is out you can just remove the screws that hold in the t-handle.

Hope this helps.  Also be sure to check with techivend too.

Blue Moose

I ended up going in from the backside of the door, cut some of the insulation out of the way and unbolted it, then was able to pop the lock out.

But the threaded section on the frame is stripped so I guess I will just use a pad lock.

Thanks

Bev is right about on how to remove the t-handle's lock. But it sounds like the t-handle itself is what is damaged and you figured out how to remove that. I would recommend replacing the threaded portion as this act of screwing in the t-handle ensures that the door is closed tightly enough to eliminate problems associated with a loose door.

I agree with Technivend on replacing the threaded part of the lock. I can tell you from experience you cannot get the door to close tight enough with a pad lock to keep warm air from entering the machine which will cause the evaporator to freeze up

Good Luck

I am in the same situation, I have a mechanical pop machine and the key just won’t turn in the lock anymore. Any info on drilling out and replacing these locks would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the same situation, I have a mechanical pop machine and the key just won’t turn in the lock anymore. Any info on drilling out and replacing these locks would be greatly appreciated.

I've learned this from a guy that used to do service work for me. Use a #8 or #10 1 1/2 inch metal screw, use a high torque drill to screw it into the lock as far as it you can get it to go. Attach a dent pulling tool and yank, it should only take one or two tries to break the lock unless it's a high security (hardened) lock. It sure beats taking the time to drill it out. If it's a hardened lock then it'll be much faster to drill out the T-handle and break off the latch mechanism of the lock that is inside the T-handle, The latch should be either at the 12 or 6 O'clock position for you drill points. Of course you'll trash the T-handle but you will get into the machine.