DI wheel

Vendingguy

Grumpy:

Beaver sells a shallow wheel ( I don't know of a description other then that) that will vend a pretty consistent 2-pieces.  We also did some testing ourselves with the same results. I'd contact Beaver and ask about this wheel.  As for selling DI into Canada - we unfortunately cannot - yet. Interestingly, the formula for DI in Canada is different then that made for the States (it's stronger, perhaps from the French influence...). We hope to expand distribution to Canada soon.

In the meantime, we're launching Certs breath mints within 30 days. I believe we'll be able to get that to you if interested.

Steve,  spvg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried putting together an Elite machine with a DI candy wheel.  I mixed and matched using the Elite candy riser.  It did not work. Then I tried a couple of other set ups.  It did not work.  So.......I will have to use the DI machine.  I am not going to use capsules to vend the Dentyne. 

t

Just tell us where the line forms. Do you know if the DI machine will mount to a Seaga Titan Double stand? Their web sits states "The Titan Heavy Duty Stand is designed with a universal mounting collar that allows it to accept any industry standard bulk vendor."

We designed and engineered the wheel more around the specific product dimensions, considering the precise vend quantity requirements, vs. focusing on trying to make it 'universal'.  We simply haven't been able to personally test the wheel in every machine out there but we're hoping to compile a list of "wills and will nots" as more reports come in. 

Beer980:  We provide a pretty universal mounting bracket so I expect that our head should mount to most other stands. Steve (Casseri) - Did you try it on one of your other stands yet?  Either way, I  think you'll all find us accommodating and flexible in trying to find the right fix for you.

By the way, we've posted the Dentyne Ice promotion. I know Steve had a number inquiries about the status of this.

Steve,  spvg

The bottom of the machine (with out mounting bracket) does have a number of holes that may line up to the industry standard mounting flange on a pipe stand. However, The metal is a bit thin so I would not consider mounting directly to that. You may see some bending of the metal due to that becoming a stress point.

My recommendation if you want to use a 3rd party stand is to use the pipe stand flange as a template and drill the appropriate holes in the mounting bracket provided by SuperPro. The mounting bracket is of sufficient thickness to bolt the stand to.

If you want to have a double setup, you can mount the machines as is (without SuperPro mounting bracket) to a standard double plate. Since the machines will sit flush with the double plate, there is much less flexing.

Steve

We designed and engineered the wheel more around the specific product dimensions, considering the precise vend quantity requirements, vs. focusing on trying to make it 'universal'.  We simply haven't been able to personally test the wheel in every machine out there but we're hoping to compile a list of "wills and will nots" as more reports come in. 

Steve,  spvg

Steve,

So to try and clarify the issue completely, there is a wheel you folks designed to despense the DI gum(obviously).  That wheel was designed specifically for your custom DI machine.  The wheel may or may not work with other brands of machines, but wasn't designed for that purpose, and has not been tested.  Is all that correct?  Thanks for the info.

-Lucero

Lucero:

First, as part of our Agreement with Cadbury Adams, they required that we had a branded machine that worked with the dispensing wheel & powder coated to match their Brand colors.

The wheel was designed and made at the same time the machine was being designed. The design priority (other then vending a single-serve quantity), was that it interlinked correctly with the coin mech.  to ensure no mis-vends.  So whether it works in other machines or not probably has more to do with the coin mech (and the percise location of the mech sprocket) as opposed to the size and/or shape of the wheel itself.   Most machine manufacturers design their machines this way and other wheels may or may not work in them or vica-versa. Even if we had used an Oak, NW, Beaver or Seaga to design the wheel, it likely still would have resulted in the interoperability issues.

Having said that, our focus is around providing high quality, branded (and healthy) gum and mints which previously havn't been available to the late teen/adult consumer at impulse-buy locations.  It is a goal of ours that the gum can be purchased and vended through other quality machines. But with there not being an "industry standard" on the wheel to mech interlink it would be very difficult to design a wheel that would universally work in other machines.  To be clear: we did not design it in a way that would make everyone have to buy our machine in order to vend the product.  

As a reminder, many operators are successfully vending the product using 1.1" or 1" capsules. If the DI wheel doesn't work in your particular machine, this provides a workable (and more sanitary) option to consider, especially in locations that have a high traffic flow of women, such as health/fitness clubs, salon and day spa's, dentist offices/medical centers and corporate break rooms.  

Hope this helps.

Steve,  spvg

Steve, thanks for your response.  I totally understand your position, and I was not trying to insinuate that you folks had purposely prevented the DI wheel from working in other machines to create vendor lock-in.  I was just trying to make sure the situation was simply that you folks had designed the wheel for your mech and machine, not specifically for other manufactorer's machines(just as any other manufactoring company does).  Reason being that the start of this thread suggested that there might be  new wheel designed for that purpose  >

According to what I have have heard from SuperPro, they are working on a deal that will sell the wheel to dispense the dentyne ice in other machines besides the single head blue one that is offered now.

So anyone that DOES have the DI machine... have you given a go with putting it in a different brand machine?

Steve, thanks for your response.  I totally understand your position, and I was not trying to insinuate that you folks had purposely prevented the DI wheel from working in other machines to create vendor lock-in.  I was just trying to make sure the situation was simply that you folks had designed the wheel for your mech and machine, not specifically for other manufactorer's machines(just as any other manufactoring company does).  Reason being that the start of this thread suggested that there might be  new wheel designed for that purpose  >

According to what I have have heard from SuperPro, they are working on a deal that will sell the wheel to dispense the dentyne ice in other machines besides the single head blue one that is offered now.

So anyone that DOES have the DI machine... have you given a go with putting it in a different brand machine?

I tried to put a DI wheel in my A&A Elite machine.  It did not work. Posted Image 

I changed my mind. I had said I would not try the 1.1 capsules vended out of my Elite.  I am going to try it. I will order the empty capsules and wheels today and get some DI stickers from Superpro.  I will posted how I do with this setup and how time consuming it is. The Elite model comes in a royal blue that goes very well with the DI sticker color.  I have one in storage.

I dropped by and checked a DI machine in a local bar today. The coin mech was jammed and unable to turn.  I have no idea how long it was broken.  Its been placed there for almost 30 days.

I will switch machines tomorrow and take a look at the mech when I get it back to my storage spot.

I took the coin mech apart and found this:

That was the first coin mech I ever took apart.  Holy macrel!  There must be 15 pieces now!..............lol. I will never get this thing back together.  I have to learn how to take these things apart correctly.  That thing in the photo is from a Solo drink cut.  Someone took a knife and carefully cut this plastic slug around a quarter.  Its the exact same size.  If it happens one more time at this bar, I am out of there AND that plastic slug will be placed into the candy machine right next to mine.

I do not think the crew that placed the other machines there are happy I am there.  I know of them through my son in law. 

T-bird:

Sorry to hear about the jammed mech. It's amazing what some folks will do to try to avoid parting with a quarter.

If this should happen again, there is a simple 2-part process to unjam the mech. You can do it right at the location.

Looks like it was jammed within the first few days considering there was only $7.00 in the machine.  You might want to remind the bartenders and managers to call you if they notice the mech is jammed in the future. 

Steve,  SPVG 

Steve,

Is this 2 part procedure something you can share with the membership in a detailed post?  I too am interested in this. This is something that would be good information to include in your section under "Special Buys". A tutorial, if you will.

Steve