OK, I might pursue the rack thing.........

davidsurvz

I might pursue this. Here is my dilemma. I really don't have time to go out and try to line up accounts. Are there any decent locators out there who can actually line up good locations for racks???

It looks like I'm getting the boot from Peak. I have some triples (1800's) that I will have on hand. I may buy a rack stand and try to do a set up like Gary did with his 1800's. I just need to know if there are any decent locators out there who will locate a rack.....:huh:

Has anyone actually received a decent rack location from a locator?

I am really interested in pursuing this but I am not sure where to locate a rack in my area. I am thinking a kid friendly place would be best where are the best places besides the obvious grocery stores and Gary's Blockbuster location in San Diego? ;)

I ordered one of those rack locations, before they had the 3-4 month disclaimer on it. I've been waiting since summer. Not late summer.

Do you pay ahead of time?  For something like this I might think of buying a rack after placement.

I have  had very little luck getting charity locators to get commission rack locations.  I did get a few decent commission spots over the years, but it was like pulling teeth.  I no longer use locators for commission situations since they are clearly a fish out of water with that.  Maybe try to find a sales person or full line locator that is experienced with locating the larger vending machines (soda, ATM, etc.) and maybe they would be open to racks as well.  I have also got a few decent spots  from targeted mailings but that is very hit or miss - and usually misses!  If you do commission, then you will also need to develop a nice brochure to hand out to prospects.  Also consider doing "mini racks" - 3 heads with 2 one inch and either a sticker or 2 inch machine in the middle.  Some locations don't have space for a full size rack and sometimes these mini racks are an easier sell.  Wish I had better answers.

Jax

My advice would be continue as you are doing now by using your favorite locator to place single gumball machines or maybe triples.  Then you will want to pick and chose which of those you want to upgrade.  It's really a win/win situation even if they don't want to upgrade to toys.  If they don't, then you still have them as a candy location.

That's basically how I went about getting most of my rack locations.  You may find that all you do is add a second toy head to an existing gumball stand.  If that one does well, you may then be able to add a triple, or more.

My other advice is to maybe start slow, with one or two different 1" products.  Don't go hog-wild with every little item that catches your eye.  If you are going to start off with just one or two items, you might as well start off with some mania stuff.  Then the next month, turn over all your 1" to sticky mix, then the next month, turn it all over to something else.  The point is, when starting small with toys, just keep your buying simple.

Also, with respect to displays, I would suggest that when you buy mania displays from Brand, that you only buy one of each, and the pull the back card out of the plastic and make photocopies onto photo paper.  The live displays take up way too much room and they don't fit flat against the front glass of the globe and gives it a tacky looking appearance.  By using only the back card from the display, it will fit in the globe much easier.

I have to agree with Dperry. I am switching to creating my own custom displays since I am using many 1800 machines. It also means more room for product, which is a great thing with toys since you can establish 2 to 3 month service schedules.

This is a good idea. I am just limited on locations that will support racks. I only have 1 and I am there with no real approval anymore. The company that approved me is no longer in business. The lady who approved me for the location became the mall manager but I don't think she is around anymore so I am just leaving the machine there as long as I can. I may try to swap one of the canisters to a toy instead of candy to see how that goes. I am just going to ride out the location as long as I can.