Taxes, Licenses, Permits...My Head Hurts!

adkarr24

Have not started any bulk vending yet, but I want to start it off the right way. At this point I am a bit overwhelmed and basically lost!

I live in Pasco county Florida, so if anyone is familiar with this area, help/advice is GREATLY appreciated!

My intention is to have a few bulk vending machines at 25cents each. From what I am reading, I am required to pay taxes on the amount I make in each machine. Because I am planning to do a charity rather than commision, I believe I am not require to pay taxes to the businesses that I put my machines in. Does this sound right so far?

My next issues is in the licensing/permits. I contacted the state and was told that I do NOT need any licenses/permits for the machines themselves but because I would be storing the gumballs that I need a permit for that. The woman who helped me emailed me some information, but it does not seem to pertain to vending at all.

Any help, advice, or thoughts are VERY MUCH appreciated! Thank you.

Lets have a raise of hands from all the bulk venders here who have licenses and/or permits for their business?

I'm sure there are a few bulk venders that might have an LLC or even insurance, but I think those people even outnumber the people who have business licenses.

Many licensing requirements don't apply to bulk vending.  The confusion occurs because the regulations are badly worded.

I've also heard that sales tax isn't required for vended products 25c and under.

Don't over think all the trappings of having a business.  Just go about your business.  Buy your machines, candy, get your charity stickers and go get some locations.  Then you can start thinking about all the other non-essential aspects of running a business.

Para, does classifying it as a hobby protect you in any legal sense?  Perhaps for avoiding a "business" license. At the end of the year I'll be declaring a loss most likely  because my mileage depreciation will be almost as high as my gross sales.

Any clue about the 25 cent exclusion in other states? I've just started a thread to discuss this, as I'm strongly hoping it applies to me. Now that I know my vending can be successful, I want to make sure I am at least doing my taxes right. Silly permits that might or might not be related are usually just a waste of money to feed bureaucracy, but my disinterest in clerks does not extend to the IRS. I am very interested in complying with the IRS.

Lurtsman, actually, calling it a "hobby" is the *worst* possible thing you can do. When you do that, you can't take any business deductions (like you are planning to do).

I'm guessing that Para was just making a joke, but on the off chance he wasn't...don't do it :)

Kevin

To my fellow Vendor, Adkarr24,

Boy is it a great time to get into bulk vending business. I ambiguously agree with DPerry in that you should stop over analyze everything and just set your goal and just jump straight into the business pool head first. But, I can see you are a good, honest law abiding citizen and want to follow the all the rules. I applaud you for that. Each city, county, and state have many laws and regulations that are not easy to find. You should try city hall and go from there. You can also call a local vendor who his trying to sell his route and machines. Ask about what permits, licenses, insurance, etc that he/she needed to obtain. If that doesn't work go to an auto shop, Chinese restaurant, or laundry store and look at their machines. They should at least have a name and contact information. Give them a call and ask if they have any extra machines for sale. Then ask about what you need to do to legalize your great new bulk vending adventure. Good luck and Happy holidays. Here is to great vending. Cheers!

Blueraindian, thanks for the straight forward advice. Although I haven't place any machines yet, I want to think positive and plan to grow my business. I want to be as legit as possible without going through too much paperwork, if that makes sense. After several phone calls to my county & local cities, I was able to narrow down what permits are required. I discovered that for under $4, I can get basic permits for my machines and be legal in my county. 

Lets have a raise of hands from all the bulk venders here who have licenses and/or permits for their business?

**caserri sheepishly raises hand**

It was actually the easiest part of starting my business. I simply went down to the town hall and plunked down my $20 for a business license. They gave me the required state permit forms to fill out and send to the state for the machine permits. ($3.00 each per year)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

**caserri sheepishly raises hand**

It was actually the easiest part of starting my business. I simply went down to the town hall and plunked down my $20 for a business license. They gave me the required state permit forms to fill out and send to the state for the machine permits. ($3.00 each per year)

Caserri,

Just Curious, Did you decide to go Sole Propreitor Or Incorporate your Vending Business?(Why/Why Not)

• 2 weeks later...

I learned the hard way about having a license and permits. Cost me a couple grand in fines my first year. Still hate coughing up money every year for the license and permits. Wasted money in every sense.

Found out this week that Pasadena requires permits. I have gone 5 years down there with out them until a health inspector threatened to shut my cranes down until I bought the $10 permits.

Archived